NY Red Bulls vs Seattle at Red Bull Arena Sat-March 19-7:30PM 2011 MLS Season Opener Game Thread [R]

Discussion in 'New York Red Bulls' started by ag nigrin, Mar 7, 2011.

1. DoctorK

DoctorK New Member

Jan 8, 2002
    NorthBank, Riverbend
    Re: NY Red Bulls vs Seattle at Red Bull Arena Sat-March 19-7:30PM 2011 MLS Season Opener Game Thread

jcr and kokoplus, it's our club and our responsibility to grow the fanbase. Kudos!

2. DoctorK

DoctorK New Member

Jan 8, 2002
    NorthBank, Riverbend
    Re: NY Red Bulls vs Seattle at Red Bull Arena Sat-March 19-7:30PM 2011 MLS Season Opener Game Thread

Don't think so. Supposed to be much nicer tomorrow. Was bitter cold v the Fire last year.

3. ag nigrin

ag nigrin Member

Mar 4, 2002
    NJ, USA

Not as cold the Chicago games was in the 30s!

Here is the injury report courtesy of bigapplesoccer.com:

Right fullback Chris Albright and midfielder Brian Nielsen will miss the Red Bulls season opener against the Seattle Sounders SC at Red Bulls Arena on Saturday night.

Albright and Nielsen are recovering from knee surgery.

Forward Luke Rodgers (left knee injury), defender Roy Miller (left hamstring strain) and defender-midfielder Jan Gunnar Solli (right hamstring strain) were listed as questionable.

4. ag nigrin

ag nigrin Member

Mar 4, 2002
    NJ, USA

+1 to what Doc K wrote above: "it's our club and our responsibility to grow the fanbase."

5. BokenTerp

BokenTerp New Member

Oct 17, 2007
    Hoboken, NJ

I think folks get too worked up about attendance. In NYC unless you're the Giants or Rangers, attendance will mirror the team's success on the pitch. Even the god damn Yankees (You know Babe Ruth, Joe D, Micky Mantle, 27 championships) picked up a lousey gate in the 80's and they were consistently winning between 85-95 games a year. The only marketing campaign in NYC that works is winning. The Red Bulls need Tiger Blood in their veins!

6. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Yes and no. I brought tons of teammates to games, got 2 friends to buy season tickets this year and 2 more to buy partial plans. Unfortunately I don't feel like the marketing strategy of Red Bull (is there one?) is working.

It's frustrating to tell people who PLAY soccer about the Red Bulls and have them respond: "Who?"

At the very least people in the NY metro area should know they have a pro soccer team. If they know how to get there and how much the cheapest seat is even better.

7. GOALSeattle

GOALSeattle Member

Oct 13, 2007
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  8. senorhenriquez

Aug 5, 2009
    New Jersey
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Charlie Sheen as assistant coach, anyone?

9. lkgf09

lkgf09 Member

Jun 7, 2004
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I wouldn't be surprised if Sutton will be named the starter considering that Bouna will be gone for the second game and Sutton definitely will be the starter at Columbus.

10. DoctorK

DoctorK New Member

Jan 8, 2002
    NorthBank, Riverbend

Winning!

11. SteamPunkr

SteamPunkr New Member

Nov 4, 2009
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders

Scouting Report

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tyFCmxwaHsY&feature=feedu"]YouTube - Scouting Report: Red Bulls[/ame]

12. ag nigrin

ag nigrin Member

Mar 4, 2002
    NJ, USA
  13. ag nigrin

ag nigrin Member

Mar 4, 2002
    NJ, USA

From the NY Times: While Backe kept details of his starting lineup close to his chest on Tuesday, he did say that Greg Sutton was likely to start in goal, with a defense composed of Rafa Marquez and Tim Ream in central defense, with Roy Miller on the left and Jan Gunnar Solli on the right.

¶There is a new playing surface at Red Bull Arena. Relax, the club did not replace its grass field with artificial turf. Instead, new sod was put down because the original playing surface did not fare well during the extreme winter. That said, the playing surface last year, while green all season, was thin on top and sandy below, which was not ideal, either.

14. ag nigrin

ag nigrin Member

Mar 4, 2002
    NJ, USA

Are you ready for some futbol?!!!!!!!!!!

15. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--

[​IMG]
    Can't Wait!!!

16. metz

metz Member

Jan 17, 2003

At the gigining of this trade I give this possible Line-Up:

[LINEUP-4-4-2] Henry, Richards, Lindpere, Ballouchy, Tchani, Solli, Miller, Ream, Marquez, Taino, Condoul[/LINEUP-4-4-2]

But at this time I will changed for:

[LINEUP-4-4-2] Henry, Agudelo, Lindpere, Taino, Tchani, Richards, Miller, Ream, Marquez, Solli, Sutton[/LINEUP-4-4-2]

17. metz

metz Member

Jan 17, 2003

And apossible 4-3-3 likethis:

Henry, Agudelo, Richards

Lindpere, Taino, Tchani

Miller, Ream, Marquez, Solli

...........Sutton

18. ag nigrin

ag nigrin Member

Mar 4, 2002
    NJ, USA

You are probably right with the 2nd line-up metz. Bigapplesoccer.com agrees with you:

"Here is one possible starting lineup they could deploy:

Goalkeeper -- Greg Sutton (Canada)

Defenders -- Roy Miller (Costa Rica), Ream (U.S.), Rafa Marquez (Mexico), Jan Gunnar Solli (Norway)

Midfielders -- Joel Lindpere (Estonia), Teemu Tainio (Finland), Mehdi Ballouchy (Morocco), Dane Richards (Jamaica)

Forwards -- Thierry Henry (France), Juan Agudelo (U.S.)"

We need to come out fired up...this is our house and no weenies from Seattle should beat us here! They have faced Rafa or Titi yet so let's score on them early and often!

19. j1mbr0wn

j1mbr0wn Member

Jun 3, 2005
    Newark, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I've put my pregame thoughts about Jair Marufo, Kasey Keller, and Seattle in a pre-game rant here:

Pregame Rant: New York Red Bulls Vs. Seattle Sounders

Let me know if you agree. Or disagree.

20. AngeltoHenry

AngeltoHenry Member

Jul 31, 2010
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls

what channel? msg is booked, no?

21. lkgf09

lkgf09 Member

Jun 7, 2004
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

No it will be on MSG.

22. AngeltoHenry

AngeltoHenry Member

Jul 31, 2010
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls

really? for comcast too?

on my tv it shows boxing until 9 and then the rangers game on msg and the islanders game on msgplus

23. guyricardo

guyricardo Member

Jul 10, 2003
    Newark
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

MSG is MSG on all carriers. I'm on FIOS-TiVo and have the same guide info as you. I'll be at the game but will set a manual recording to wathc it again later.

The problem is that the game was scheduled so late in the proceedings that it hasn't made it through all the various systems between the broadcaster and your tv.

24. guyricardo

guyricardo Member

Jul 10, 2003
    Newark
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Pre-game is at 7:00.

You can check schedule on your carrier here. http://www.msg.com/tv/tv-schedule

25. DoctorK

DoctorK New Member

Jan 8, 2002
    NorthBank, Riverbend

Completely agree, except for the Geritol bit. Keller's still a great keeper. I've got leads of respect for him, Sigi and the whole Seattle contingent. But you're especially spot on when you say it's time to send them home sad and show them this is our house. Will Parke really be the one to mark Henry? Oh, I hope so!