NY Red Bulls vs Chicago Fire at GS - Sat, September 1 at 7:30 [R] Pre, During and Post-Game Thread

Discussion in 'New York Red Bulls' started by ag nigrin, Aug 26, 2007.

1. Re: NY Red Bulls vs Chicago Fire at GS - Sat, September 1 at 7:30 [R] Pre, During and Post-Game Thre

Boring game. Chicago came in to play for a 0-0 tie and it made the game boring. They didnt attack in numbers all game. Overall, the team played pretty well. i thought Reyna and Vide were very good in the midfield and really contained Blanco all night. Mathis was pretty good also. Surprised by the crowd size with Blanco in town. I thought this game had a chance to get 20k then again drawing on Labor day weekend is probably tough. I guess almost none of that extra 50k from the LA game came back as we had the normal size crowd again.

2. Red Card

Red Card Member+

Mar 3, 1999
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: NY Red Bulls vs Chicago Fire at GS - Sat, September 1 at 7:30 [R] Pre, During and Post-Game Thre

Anybody know anything about the bogus whistle about 1/2 minute before the game ended?

3. Rooney20

Rooney20 Member+

Jan 8, 2007
    New York
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: NY Red Bulls vs Chicago Fire at GS - Sat, September 1 at 7:30 [R] Pre, During and Post-Game Thre

See min 85 of Revs game.

4. gmandel

gmandel New Member

Jul 12, 2000
    nyc

That wasn't Mendes's fault. Conway should have easily had that playback. Mathis played one back tonight that had more pace on it than the one last week by Mendes.

5. sccrhound

sccrhound Member

Oct 8, 2002
    CT
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Add

Mathis shows he still has a touch, a feel, and the skill to pull of passes that nobody else in US soccer can on regular basis.

Leitch, while maybe not the most techincal player, busts his ass on every play.

Angel is pure class.

6. sublicon

sublicon Member

RBNY, Fulham FC
    United States
    May 28, 2006
    Brooklyn, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Mendes has been burned out a bit. Dude has played the most minutes out of anyone this season I believe. Bruce had begun subbing him in the second half a few games ago, and had given him a couple weeks rest before that after he had taken a good knock in umm . . I forget which game.

The own goal incident has nothing to do with him being subbed on in the second half.

7. pjae

pjae New Member

Aug 27, 2006
    new york state

watermoose may not have been tested much, but any time he handles the ball i still hold my breath. at least he was actually catching the ball and punting it, which is not what he usually does. he usually hits it out or rolls it out, neither of which he really did last night. either way, he covered the goal and actually seemed to direct the backline a bit. AND he actually dived on a ball! koo koo ka choo!:D

8. pjae

pjae New Member

Aug 27, 2006
    new york state

also, regarding the attendance, if this hadn't been a holiday weekend game the numbers would have been higher. 108-115 were pretty well packed with blanco watchers and even some there to see red bulls. it was the other side of the pitch where people were lacking, which is the big money season ticket holders! guess they're at the hamptons house this weekend!

9. gyr0

gyr0 New Member

Mar 31, 2002
    NYC

First of all, I want to commend all posters here that faithfully attend games. You guys are true fans and exactly what American soccer is all about. I know many of my friends and colleagues who attended the Beckham game regularly watch Premier League soccer on Saturday morning, yet couldnt name three players on the our current suat (while some didn't know NYRB existed)

My point is that one game is not going to change the perception of a team which is largely invisible on the NY sports scene. It took Pele and Beckenbaur to pack the house in the 70s, and today, it took Beckham to bring them back.

I am convinced that the only way to reach these sorts of fans today is with better television coverage. Like an annoying commercial (or NASCAR for that matter), is soccer saturates the airwaves, eventually it will seep in to the mind of the arm chair sportsman. That said, we need better attendance and visibility to warrent television coverage. Chicken and the egg problem to be sure.

On a lighter note, the defense looked stable against a resurgent Chicago side while Angel did his job. What more can you ask for? But after watching DC- Dallas, we will have our work cut out for us in the playoffs. Why cant defenders seem to mark Ben Olsen? Wierd stuff.

10. Nica1004

Nica1004 Member

Sep 14, 2002
    the couch

If I recall correctly, someone in the crowd had a whistle.

11. Onionsack

Onionsack BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jul 21, 2003
    New York City
    Club:
    FC Girondins de Bordeaux
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

i do... :D

12. HerthaBerwyn

HerthaBerwyn Member+

May 24, 2003
    Chicago

Its hard to watch a game on such a bouncy surface. Maybe they should take a bit of air our of the ball when playing on a fuzzy parking lot. The only game I ever want to see there would feature Bernard Berrian running past some schmuck in dark blue or green. By the way, Im sure Wendell Davis will be paying Guerrero a visit. Thank the facilities manager and stadium authority for that one. There is no way not to call the handball in the box a PK.

Angel is class.

13. Metrosuccess

Metrosuccess Member

Jan 6, 2000
    NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Probably one of the most boringist games i havebeen to but we won again so all is well/ Have to admit when saw Altidore, Conway, Mendes and Freeman on the bench I was saying "WTF is Bruce doing". Guess it worked out in the end. I never saw any Altidore injury mentioned and not sure how the F VDB made it in lineup as Left back but he played fine. Nice surprise.

14. viper

viper New Member

Jun 7, 2000
    Paramus, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I was sitting right in front of the handball in the box play (I believe it was Leitch). The Ref didn't see it as deliberate, but it was just so fast that I don't know if our player actually raised his arm to the ball. Unfortunately, the play wasn't repeated on the monitors or big screen (as no controversial plays are ever reapeated in the stadium). I'm wondering if anyone watching at home thought it was a deliberate handball?

The best player in the league, hands down, without question, others not even close. Possibly the best to have ever played in MLS.

15. viper

viper New Member

Jun 7, 2000
    Paramus, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

He's had a calf strain since the U20 WC but has played through it. I was surprised he played the last game against NE, as he was limping at the DC game before that. Guess 'The Bruce' does have some good judgement left (unlike the Lalas/Yallop tag team out in LA) and actually want's to protect one of his top guns.

Unbelievable how Goldthwaite has fallen so far down the pecking order that even VDB gets to play Left Back ahead of him. Also, funny how a player claimed on waivers (and that had to impress just to make the team) is getting the starts at both Left and Right back ahead of such hand-picked players like Freeman and the aformentioned Goldthwaite. Of course, I'm talking about Leitch, who is now almost Stammler-like in versatility.

16. Re: NY Red Bulls vs Chicago Fire at GS - Sat, September 1 at 7:30 [R] Pre, During and Post-Game Thre

On the MSG feed I think it was Mathis who cleared the ball and it hit Leitch's arm in a down position. The ref was actually right next to the play and saw it but didn't call it because it wasnt intentional. The Fire crybaby is dead wrong.

17. 4Winds

4Winds New Member

Apr 20, 2004
    Chattanooga

It was a relatively boring game, and it looked as though Chicago wanted a 0-0 tie. However, that is exactly the kind of game that fits Reyna's style. He had one of his better games last night, and actually looked more energetic than I can remember ever seeing him. Clint had a really good game, and it's a shame he didn't connect on one of his shots. Angel is so consistently top class it's a joy to watch him play in ANY game.

Waterreus.......did someone give him an overdose of vitamin B12 before that game? He was actually working, running, snatching the ball, and even diving for a couple of balls! Wow! Hope he keeps that up, if Bruce continues to favor him over Conway. Admittedly, he wasn't strongly tested, but neither did he let in any weak shots like he has before.

Sorry to see Dane get that yellow card. And the yellow on Vide -- crazy! I don't think I've ever seen anything like that.

Blanco should have had a card for his bitching and moaning and of course diving. What a contrast from our Angel. One is pure class; the other.................

Hope Jozy is getting the medical attention he needs for full recovery.

A win............a win is ALWAYS good.

18. CRSvideo

CRSvideo Member

Jul 24, 1999
    New York, NY

Regarding the Leitch handball, its true that his hand touched the ball, and therefore if the ref felt like it he could have called a penalty on it, however it very much was an unintentional handball. The ball hit his hand after Mathis was trying to clear it. It very obviously wasn't intentional as it blocked a ball kicked by his own teammate with the ball going away from the goal. The "handball" provided no benifit for the Redbulls and in fact gave advantage to the Fire in that the ball stayed in the box a bit longer than it would have otherwise. Pretty good judgement for a non call.

I think that may have been the best match I've seen Reyna play in many months. He played many matches when we were having our bad patch (what was that, about 2 months worth?), and even though he's supposed to be on our team to control the match, we had absolutely no control in any of those games. Yesterday we did. The weather also was much cooler than its been for one of our matches (at least our home matches) so maybe Reyna just sucks when it gets too hot, and now that it's cooling off we'll actually get the best out of the guy. Maybe wishfull thinking.

19. soccerfreak9210

Mar 19, 2007
    New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

watchin on tv, it wasnt boring at all!
    there were many chances (if u include richards getting the ball 85% of the time) and watching rbny being patient to find a seam in chicago's boring play was great...
    esc was the loudest ive heard on tv in a long time...especially the minutes after angel's goal...

20. Thomas A Fina

Thomas A Fina Member

Mar 29, 1999
    Hell
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

cause the TV had the mike's in our direction. They usually don't

21. USFootiefan1980

LAFC
    United States
    Aug 19, 2005
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

No, it was Mendes' fault. He passed it across the goal! Never backpass across the goal. He should have passed the ball to the near post, not the far post.

22. MLS SupaStr3

MLS SupaStr3 New Member

Jul 2, 2003
    NJ

Please, that's Conway on this one. Even though the ball was played with pace there was no one around Conway. He could've settled the ball and then punted it. He took a nap during the game and it cost us.

23. hoboken16

hoboken16 Member

Jan 16, 2003
    Jersey City, NJ USA
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I have played some keeper in my day and Conway was at fault for that own goal last week
    Wasn't feeling well so I stayed home for this one
    I didn't have a problem with Vide's yellow though Blanco should have gotten one minutes later for diving
    Handball on Leitch was unintentional and there was no way he could get out of the way

24. SAM85

SAM85 New Member

Jul 23, 2007
    New York

The reserves won today too, so it was a good weekend all around!

25. jbeall

jbeall New Member

Jan 18, 2002
    NJ by way of GA

I agree. And Conway even said he looked upfield for a second--big mistake. It's analogous to an outfielder in baseball taking his eye off the ball for a second and then dropping it. 99% of the time that doesn't happen, but for the 1% it does, you look like a careless idiot.

I'm pretty certain Arena chewed Conway out over that one, and I'm pretty certain that Conway took the lesson to heart. It's a pisser that it cost us a point, but at least it's only a point, as opposed to two or three.