NY Daily News article on Metro

Discussion in 'New York Red Bulls' started by soccerfan, Nov 4, 2004.

1. soccerfan

soccerfan BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 13, 1999
    New Jersey
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. stopper4

stopper4 Member

Jan 24, 2000
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: we are doomed, another year with Bob

But the pick goes to Dallas for Vaca.

3. Thomas A Fina

Thomas A Fina Member

Mar 29, 1999
    Hell
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Basically Moreno=Vaca

Way to go Metros.

**********************&@(#)@&#(*^@#@#R*@%#^@%#&*@#%@*&#%^&#@

4. MetroFever

MetroFever Member+

Jun 3, 2001
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    These are some great Nick quotes that we haven't seen for about 2 years:

"I think he's done a good job of pulling together a talented, young group of players.

The Metros are 0-3-1 in the playoffs under Bradley, scoring once. "He's got to fix that," Sakiewicz said. "I'm expecting him to work on it during the offseason.

Hardly a ringing endorsement when the only nice thing you have to comment on is Bradley's player selection and not the player performance on the field. But nothing that hasn't already been said here on the boards.

The bigger news is him ripping Walker. No way did Jonny perform like he did in 2003. Zach Wells would have done just as well.

5. Stogey23

Stogey23 Member+

Dec 12, 1998
    San Diego, CA
    GM (maybe) slams Jonny Walker

"Our goalkeeping was atrocious this year. You have to wonder what kind of difference Tim Howard would have been this year. I like Jonny. He's a very good goalkeeper. But he gave up some bad goals."

Do Metro fans agree with Nick's assessment?

6. Brownswan

Brownswan New Member

Jun 30, 1999
    Port St. Lucie, FL
    Re: Sak O' Shite slams Jonny Walker

This could be a setup to move Johnny to CD Chivas. It's hard to imagine him NOT wanting to go there; he has family in CA, and he's probably had a belly full of Bob n' Nick by now.

Rumors! Bring 'em on!

7. metro4ever

metro4ever New Member

Aug 6, 2003
    Metroland-NJ

Why Bradley couldn't had him on the bench for a few games to reflect a bit of how much he Stanked ---and use and Played the #2 Goal Keeper (ZACk) as they do in Europe ----Just Check out the Back up Goalie from Kansas he single handled that team and they are still on the 2nd round of PLAYOFFS --- us just watching the wheels going ROUND,,,and coming off as usual at the end of the season

8. spartak-champion

Mar 14, 2000
    NY, USA

Actually, I had a feeling that if we had played some of our last important games against D.C. with Wells we could have been better off than with Johnny. Why? It looked for me that Wells is tougher and a tough goalkeeper makes all his defense tougher.

9. bukie2k

bukie2k Member

Mar 28, 2002
    New Jersey

As a former goalie Sacko should know that having a weak defense sometimes makes a goalie look attrocious too. with what Walker had to work with this year I wouldn't put all the blame on him.

10. jamison

jamison Member

Sep 25, 2000
    NYC

Toughness has nothing to do with guys walking around the box unmarked. Nor the mistakes Walker made (and he made some) excuse leaving Stewart uncovered (offsides or not), Jeff Parke not closing down Eski, Ziadie being Ziadie....etc.

Walker wasn't exceptional this year, but he wasn't alone. And he wasn't making leauge max either.

11. spartak-champion

Mar 14, 2000
    NY, USA
    Re: GM (maybe) slams Jonny Walker

True, the whole team was not tough and organized enough, not just Walker.

12. jamison

jamison Member

Sep 25, 2000
    NYC

threads merge-a-tated.

13. metroflip73

metroflip73 Member

Mar 3, 2000
    NYC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I say, "Let 'em crash!" :)

14. red&black1

red&black1 New Member

Mar 8, 2003
    Kearny NJ
    Yea I definatley wouldn't put all the blame on Johnny.... the Metros defensively were atrocious this year.. Johnny also made many key saves to keep us in games that i dont think many other keepers could of made.

15. IMOX77

IMOX77 New Member

Jun 15, 2003
    Long Island, NY

Where does our original first round pick go?

16. soccerfan

soccerfan BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 13, 1999
    New Jersey
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

SOMEONE DIDN'T LIKE THE DOOMED THREAD NAME , i see the truth hurts

we have a problem on both ends of the field, defending and finishing

17. jamison

jamison Member

Sep 25, 2000
    NYC

Just as an FYI, my point on the re-title action was that when combined, the threads didn't deserve that title, especially from a mod carpetbagging onto our board who isn't a Metro fan to begin with. So, it should have been a post in the original thread, not a thread unto itself, and at any rate the "we suck" action from Metro fans is understandable. The "You Suck" crap, w/namecalling, from out of towners we can all do without.

MTBFTR.

18. bostonsoccermdl

bostonsoccermdl Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 3, 2002
    Denver, CO

I think Nick is atrocious...

Maybe someone can confuse him into firing himself...

19. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004

J Walker was not atrocious this year. He had a mediocre year combined with a horrible defense.

Nick S is atrocious for taking a cheap shot at a particuliar player, and not the entire team. Now Galvan Rey, he was atrocious this year. Maybe unlucky somewhat, but certainly more atrocious than J Walker.

20. GIO17

GIO17 Member

Nov 29, 1998

Exactly Jamison. Walker kept us in games and at the same time he didn't, but half the time our defenders didn't do that great of a job. I believe Jonny will be better next year and since Parke has a year under his belt also Eddie Pope didn't have a strong year this year, expect both of them to shut down the opposition.

WHAT THE HELL DOES THAT MEAN! Who cares if Walker was making the league max or not, that should never be the issue. If your telling me that Joe Cannon or Tony Meola is making the league max that Walker on his own gave up goals just because he was upset that he isn't making as much as these two is completly rediculous. Keepers like goaltenders in hockey have their pride keeping that puck or ball out of the net when they are manning the nets (Not talking about the lockout in the NHL, talking about if a certain player in a certain position is up for a contract re-newal year).

You know Mike Richter, Martin Brodeur, these two fabulous goalies never worried about how much money they weren't getting paid nor worried about who was making more in the NHL, especially Brodeur who plays for the tight wadded Devils. He like Richter earned their money.

You think Timmy, Ammann, and Walker were complaining about which keeper in MLS made more money and decided to let in goals to tell his club, "take that".

That's rediculous.

21. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

[the moderator has decided onefineesq was acting like onefineahole, and should be quiet for a while]

22. Thomas A Fina

Thomas A Fina Member

Mar 29, 1999
    Hell
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

It simply means that it is worse to suck up the joint when you are macking league max than it is if you are making 30k. and also that you have to be held to a higher standard. ex - Pope played OK this year, his play was not deserving of max salary

23. Arisrules

Arisrules Member

Feb 19, 2000
    Washington, DC

What is wrong with you man? Who the hell would have thought Moreno would have played so well with DC? Who the hell would have wanted him here after he lounged through a season with the Metros, when we gave him a second fcuking chance.

24. SlowFox

SlowFox Member

Aug 16, 1999
    Wait. We're discussing what NS said about the Metros?

Even assuming that what he said is what he thinks, why would we care? Certainly it's possible he has a significant say in player personnel (although some here insist this is Bob's team) but NS is one of the LAST people I'd turn to for a concise, relevant analysis of our strengths and weaknesses.

I mean, can you keep a straight face when he pounces on Walker and says nothing (at least AFAIK) about SGR, Taylor and Glen? I'm not saying he SHOULD bash those players but I would think Walker would be somewhat lower in the pecking order.

Of course if Walker was Bob's "guy" and SGR was his, well.....

=NLK=

25. IMOX77

IMOX77 New Member

Jun 15, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    So does anybody remember where our original draft pick went?