NWSL Week 2 pre/pbp/post (5/21-5/23)

Discussion in 'NWSL' started by CoachJon, May 20, 2021.

1. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would be more than happy to have someone else open weekly threads, such as @lil_one , @Semblance17, and others have done in the past. However, I would like to get us back in a rhythm, so here goes Week 2. (Times are Eastern) https://www.nwslsoccer.com/schedule There are 3 games on Wed 5/26 that in my mind don't go with this week, which means 8 games next week.

FRI 5/21
    7:30 Washington at Louisville (Twitch)

SAT 5/22
    7:00 Orlando at North Carolina (Paramount+)
    8:00 NJ/NY at Chicago (Paramount+)

SUN 5/23
    6:00 Tacoma at Portland (CBS Sports Network)
    7:00 Kansas City at Houston (Paramount+)

These are tough to pick. I will go with WAS, NC, CHI, POR, and HOU. All of the games have interesting aspects.

2. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    IIRC I saw a graphic from NWSL not too long ago that suggested "weeks" were Monday-Sunday, so you would be correct in that sense. (And I agree on that configuration)

CoachJon repped this.
  3. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It is 6:40 and the injury report on the NWSL site is the one from May 14. I did read that Paige Nielsen is out for WAS.

4. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And, Julie Ertz is out for the Red Stars with a MCL strain. USWNT thinks she will be back for the Olympics.

Klingo3034 and West Ender repped this.
  5. Klingo3034

Klingo3034 Member+

Dallas FC
    United States
    Oct 11, 2019
    Congrats to Louisville winning their first regular season game!

blissett and West Ender repped this.
  6. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think Washington’s passing game was lacking a key component. The passers, particularly in the middle third, were not moving after they made the pass. To be effective, you have to pass then move. This resulted in way too many backward passes which take the vigor out of the attack.

Betos and the back line are impressive. Fox, Riehl, & Hendrix are very young players, with only Simon having a lot of experience. I think they have 3 clean sheets in a row.

Klingo3034 and West Ender repped this.
  7. West Ender

West Ender Member

Dec 28, 2020
    Southwest
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good observation about Washington. I noticed that too.
    The Spirit have some very talented front-row players. I think Sanchez has improved a lot, especially with her physical play. She used to get bossed off the ball, but she seems stronger and kept the ball on several occasions while surrounded by multiple players.

Fox was extremely impressive, especially in the first half. I hadn't seen her play in a while, but she has improved tremendously. She is so quick dribbling and cutting, and extremely fast when coming back to defend.

kolabear, CoachJon and Klingo3034 repped this.
  8. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Missed the first 15 of NC/ORL, tuned in just time to see Deb run across almost the entire field on a counter after an ORL corner. X-D Yup, that's NC.

Klingo3034 repped this.
  9. West Ender

West Ender Member

Dec 28, 2020
    Southwest
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Couple questions:

All matches are available on either Twitch for free or on Paramount+ for $6 per month, correct?

Also, this may sound like a dumb question, but how many subs are allowed per game?
    I saw what seemed like 5 subs for the Spirit yesterday. Is that right?
    If so, was that always the case or did they recently make a rule change?
    My mind is going! LOL!

10. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    I think the CBS Sports Network games are not available for live streaming within the US, but I'd have to check that. Otherwise yes, all games are on one of the two streaming platforms.

FIFA allowed for 5 subs per game last year, and that change has been extended to the end of this year. They've also added a pilot program allowing 2 extra subs if concussion protocols are activated. So, in theory, up to 7 subs per game if things go badly with head collisions.

CoachJon and West Ender repped this.
  11. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Leroux! Great shot! and NC is down by one at home.

Klingo3034 repped this.
  12. West Ender

West Ender Member

Dec 28, 2020
    Southwest
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #12 West Ender, May 22, 2021
    Last edited: May 22, 2021
    Loved seeing the KY's and now NC's beautiful stadiums full of fans.

CoachJon repped this.
  13. West Ender

West Ender Member

Dec 28, 2020
    Southwest
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kornieck is a giant among midgets.

14. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    Oh my. Courage have defensive issued Mewis might not cure.

SiberianThunderT repped this.
  15. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    FT, NC 1-2 ORL. I mentioned before (I think in the Challenge Cup thread/?) that ORL has been NC's bogey team for a while, but I think we're also potentially seeing the predicted collapse of NC - no dynasty lasts forever.

On the other hand,
    defensive issues may not be as big of an issue if the midfield keeps possession much more often, a la "the best defense is a good offense".

16. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Switched over to the CHI/NJY game now. Seeing some good offense from CHI, unlike what we've seen for a while now. I bet having fans back in Bridgeview is helping. Hope for them yet.

59Amerinorsk repped this.
  17. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    ooooo great sequence by Pugh and surprisingly untouched shot from Watt just wide...

59Amerinorsk and Klingo3034 repped this.
  18. Klingo3034

Klingo3034 Member+

Dallas FC
    United States
    Oct 11, 2019
    Is that a new kit from Chicago Stars?

59Amerinorsk repped this.
  19. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Strong showing for CHI tonight, but couldn't turn their numerous good looks into a goal.

They get a new one each year, yeah, and they're always good.

59Amerinorsk, West Ender and Klingo3034 repped this.
  20. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006

Ok , but Sam isn’t going to stop defenders from passing to opponents in the first third. And she isn’t going to chase down speedy forwards like Morgan.

I would not have predicted that Orlando and Louisville would lead the league in points at any time in the season.

21. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    I think they had new kits even when the rest of the league was given generic training kit.

59Amerinorsk and CoachJon repped this.
  22. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Rivalry match chaos delivered X-D I think I saw on Twitter that many POR fans directed much ire at the ref here.

And with HOU salvaging a draw against visiting KC, every team in the league has dropped points and every team has earned at least one point - and it's only week two. It'll be interesting to see if this parity sticks!

23. kolabear

kolabear Member+

Nov 10, 2006
    los angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, I didn't think the referee inspired much confidence but I hardly think Portland can blame the loss on her because she seemed to miss calls both ways and, fortunately, they weren't what some call match-critical incidents.

Generally I dismiss fan criticism of referees because they never acknowledge when the officiating is reasonably good given the difficult job they have.

Good example is the knee-jerk criticism of the Finnish referee for awarding the PK which enabled the US to tie Sweden several weeks ago even though it was almost certainly the correct call as shown by several replays. I guess we can give credit to US fans for criticizing the referees even for calls which benefit their team — at least we're not motivated by pure favoritism(!)

West Ender and SiberianThunderT repped this.
  24. West Ender

West Ender Member

Dec 28, 2020
    Southwest
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can I watch a replay of the Thorns vs Reign match anywhere besides CBS Sports Network?

25. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    All match replays are available on Paramount+