NWSL - Information / Lack of Information - 2014

Discussion in 'NWSL' started by MRAD12, Mar 18, 2014.

1. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    #1 MRAD12, Mar 18, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2014
    I know someone posted this blog by by Chris Henderson on All White Kit on another thread:

http://www.allwhitekit.com/?p=12794

But, I believe it warrants further discussion. If I recall correctly we touched on this subject last season a bit.

In my opinion, if the NWSL wants to be taken as a serious pro league, it needs to get out more information to it's fans and potential fans and the media. The NWSL and it's teams need to realize that the fans and media will be the driving force behind this league, so if you want to grow your fan base and thus grow the league, let them know what's going on. On time.

IMO, there is no reason for fans to have to wait to read or hear roster news, injury reports, coaching changes, scrimmage games, etc. like it's a matter of national security or something and it has to go through multiple channels of approval and double checking.

I agree completely with Chris Henderson.

NWSL and your teams, if you want to be taken serious like pros, then act like it.

I'm curious as to how other posters feel about this.

P.S. Red Stars owner Arnim Whisler added a nice comment at the bottom of the blog.

2. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    Philadelphia Independence
    Like all things with this league, I think it can be improved but I'm also prepared to cut them some slack. If we make it past the third year mark and still have all the teams accounted for, than I will start getting demanding.

Sure things could be faster but I think with social media these days, fans are getting more demanding and as Arnim said, there are a million things they need to take care of so I will cut them some slack if they are not keeping up to date on the fickle world of player movement in the preseason. I thought they were on top of things during the offseason but I can expect with the new season things will be hectic.
    I also agree with Arnim about what to expect from the league versus what should be left up to teams. If the individual teams are keeping up to date with news, I'm not bothered if I do not get it from NWSL themselves.

I'm on twitter and follow all these journalist that cover the league and I usually get the news from them first before even the league releases it. So for me it's not a big deal if it doesn't come from the league themselves. Also, keep in mind that with the way social media is involving, less and less people get their news from websites. Most people just follow the teams on twitter/facebook/instagram and get the news as it's breaking. I usually just look at website for reference in which case I do not need information to be there immediately as long as it makes it's way there eventually.

BlueCrimson and SiberianThunderT repped this.
  3. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    To be fair, and this was pointed out in the article, the teams are usually running themselves much more professionally than the league main office is running itself. But it's overall a great point.

4. Fiorentina lives!

May 5, 2004
    The Dash sure got up and running fast. I have plenty of info, players, preseason schedule (last night vs. Rice, Saturday vs. Texas A&M...) AND UNIFORMS.

Note the Dash are part of an MLS organization... just saying... ;)

5. holden

holden Member+

Dundee FC, Yeovil Town LFC, Girondins de Bordeaux
    Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    So are the Thorns, and they're being one of the most secretive teams and not even releasing the list of their trialists.

6. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    I think that's where most of my complaints are. You think all the problems would be with the teams, some running their front office on shoestring budgets. Instead almost all lag in the process comes at the NWSL end of things. I for one believe I have greatly over estimated the amount of resources USSoccer has made available to the league. What I have written off as disorganization and disinterest on the part NWSL may simply a lack of staff. Id love to know exactly what resources Cheryl Bailey has at her disposal.

7. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
    You don't unleash your secrets when you're a member of the Darkside.