News: NWSL general news and info

Discussion in 'NWSL' started by Blaze20, Sep 14, 2016.

1. West Ender

West Ender Member

Dec 28, 2020
    Southwest
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I didn't even know they were updating it.
    It's nice. Definitely needed an overhaul.

2. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I did prefer the older version. The layout had a better look, in my opinion, and it seemed to me it was a little more intuitive to get what you were looking for when clicking around.

Reign Man repped this.
  3. Klingo3034

Klingo3034 Member+

Dallas FC
    United States
    Oct 11, 2019

Looks like North Carolina is addressing their defense needs by trying to bring Abby Dalhkemper back.

4. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I foolishly marked all the threads read earlier today, so I'm not sure if this was brought up, but the judge hearing Moultrie's lawsuit against NWSL granted Moultrie a temporary restraining order preventing NWSL from stopping her from playing. The TRO is only for two weeks, but it's likely to be extended once the hearing in 2 weeks happens.

Read the whole thread from Prof Bank. It's rather informative. Based on what he's saying, the TRO makes it clear that, barring an age limit being included in the CBA, ithe judge is already in favor of saying NWSL can't bar girls from signing and playing in the league.

AndyMead, blissett and Klingo3034 repped this.
  5. Klingo3034

Klingo3034 Member+

Dallas FC
    United States
    Oct 11, 2019
    People in twitter has raise a point with what happens now scenario. Does Portland own her rights? Will other clubs able to claim her? Will she be in supplemental roster? Will they sign her?

blissett repped this.
  6. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    #2081 AndyMead, May 26, 2021
    Last edited: May 26, 2021
    Is that a reputable account with a good track record?

1) I don't see the Courage paying transfer fees for anyone. They are not a deep pocketed organization.

2) Frankly, Dahlkemper left the Courage in the lurch. There was no advance warning.

3) They've pretty much stemmed the tide of goals against that was the first few games of the pre-season tournament. The real problem is in the middle of the field. There's no good linking play to release the forwards. The other problem is that Lynn Williams has been utter trash and the last couple of games Debinha has missed more open looks than she did all of last year. Abby Dahlkemper (the occasional long service or corner kick aside) isn't going to fix any of that.

4) And if the Olympics happen, adding another Olympian (and an expensive one at that with a transfer fee) who might miss 1/3-1/2 of the season doesn't exactly "fix" anything.

Until and unless I hear something more concrete, I'm going to be dubious about this. Sounds like a "planted" story, possibly by Dahlkemper's agent. A lot of international trade rumors start that way. I'd welcome her back. She is a very good player.

EDIT: I see the source was Neil. Well that's legit, then. Though Neil's one-line tweet mentions nothing about a transfer fee, just "negotiations". To be honest, I'm guessing Man City might just be willing to let her go for free. The real "negotiations" probably have to do with who she would sign with. USSF or directly with the Courage. Or a hybrid deal like they did with Mewis. That's definitely a possibility and makes some sense as I doubt the Courage have much "cap space" this year to pay anyone directly.

The negotiations might also include trade/expansion draft protection. As one of the Courage's UCLA contingent, there should be some interest by Angel City and the old LA college players, but then uprooting oneself every year, especially for an expansion team, might not be a preferred choice.

And that kind of negotiation likely would go both ways. If Dahlkemper is on a USSF contract, then she could pretty much just up and leave without advance notice yet again, especially if she's not "on loan" from Man City.

It will be interesting to see how it shakes out.

blissett and Klingo3034 repped this.
  7. Klingo3034

Klingo3034 Member+

Dallas FC
    United States
    Oct 11, 2019
    What can Man City really get out of this? Has to be transfer fee. It’s not like Man City need draft picks or allocation money...or do they? But like you said, probably let her go. Also free up the money for other players probably international.

8. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    I would see them most likely to just let her go.

9. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Stupid question.. Are there transfer fees in women's soccer now? I remember a lot of women being released for free as recently as a few years ago.

10. Klingo3034

Klingo3034 Member+

Dallas FC
    United States
    Oct 11, 2019
    Rarely but does happen. Pernile Harder for example.
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.si...arder-chelsea-women-record-transfer-wolfsburg

LONDON (AP) — Chelsea Women signed Denmark captain Pernille Harder from Wolfsburg after paying what the German club said was “a record transfer fee for the women’s game.”

The clubs did not disclose the fee of Tuesday’s deal but media reports say it was about 300,000 euros ($355,000).

Yoshou repped this.
  11. Klingo3034

Klingo3034 Member+

Dallas FC
    United States
    Oct 11, 2019
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.te...-womens-football-surpasses-1m-year-first/amp/

Respect for Chelsea willing to spend that much money in women’s game. Only other club that would spend something like that would be Lyon.
    Course it’s nothing like Neymar himself where PSG paid 270 million for him.
    Global transfer spending in women's football surpasses $1m in a year for first time
    However, just 36 transfers in 2020 involved a fee – the median $11,000 – with three-quarters of the total coming from five transfers
    Global spending on transfer fees in women's football has surpassed $1 million in a year for the first time.

The money spent in the women's game in 2020 was still dwarfed by the $5.63 billion spent on men's football transfers, according to an annual report published by Fifa.

But while the men's game saw a spending decrease of nearly $2 billion compared to 2019 – with men's clubs seemingly tightening their purse strings amid the pandemic – the total money exchanged for women's transfer fees rose sharply from $0.7 million in 2019 to $1.2 million in 2020.

AndyMead repped this.
  12. Klingo3034

Klingo3034 Member+

Dallas FC
    United States
    Oct 11, 2019

This is pretty big considering she is considered one of the best in NWSL, probably in the world.

blissett repped this.
  13. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Well, this way Juventus would become even more dominant than they currently are in Italy (they just won their 4th consecutive title), but they could probably start being relevant in Champions' League also.

Anyway, I seriously doubt a top-star like Debinha can accept coming to Italy: even should they give her a lot of money, I guess Italian league keeps being not competitive enough for a player like her compared to France, Spain, England, Germany...
    Consider that the previous Brazilian player Juventus had in their roster (who didn't extended her contract after this season and is going to get back to Brazil) was Maria Alves, who's at best a second string player on the international scene: I frankly can't believe that they can upgrade her to Debinha!

Of course, I'd be happy to see such high-caliber players here in Italy, but I frankly can't see it really happen soon.

There's anyway a remote chance that Juventus get so much money from the rumoured Bonansea's transfer, that they can afford to spend it on a super-star player.

CoachJon and Klingo3034 repped this.
  14. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I just read something that Sam Mewis isn’t going back to Man City, claimed she didn’t like the slower pace of the WSL(odd, since they play the fastest pace of any Euro league), so maybe this will inspire Dahlkemper to come back too
    I read the that Juvuntus is trying to pick up as well, the Swede, Rolfo(since she’s currently a free agent). Noticed that it’s Rome vs Milan today for the Italian Cup final, is the lovely lass, Julia Simic, playing in this game?

15. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Other rumours are tying Juventus to Kosovare Asllani, whose contract with Real Madrid will expire on 30th of June.

In other words, looks like Juventus are eager to sign "some big names", it actually doesn't matter much which ones exactly. :giggle: Maybe the fact that they signed Montemurro as a coach will persuade some big player to come to Juventus: we're going to see if it works for them, but I predict a lot of unconsistent rumours around the team until they'll manage to nail one of the names they're looking for.

Julia Simic is coming back from an injury: she has been given some minutes as a late sub in the last game of the league vs Verona one week ago, but it's highly unlikely that she plays the final (for sure not as a starter: not sure where she's currently fallen on the picking order as a sub also).

hotjam2 repped this.
  16. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Juvuntus could double scoop; despite having a terrific season being leading scorer & getting them to 2nd place, Real Madrid apparently doesn’t want her back after she sharply criticized the club for the chauvinistic attitude towards her woso squad.
    Simic’s skill level has fallen over the years, she’s more vested in social media where she’s sells a number of health & exercise products, she just needs be part of an big club name for creds.

17. Klingo3034

Klingo3034 Member+

Dallas FC
    United States
    Oct 11, 2019
    I would love to see NWSL team champions go to Europe like in Spain and play against Barcelona and Lyon or top clubs in Europe to return the favor after inviting them here in the states.

18. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    I think you forgot that the ICC is a separate corporate entity that invites whoever they please, including deciding whether NWSL teams get to play in their tournament at all.

19. Klingo3034

Klingo3034 Member+

Dallas FC
    United States
    Oct 11, 2019
    Oh figure they always include NWSL teams along with the European based clubs.

20. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Nah, ICC is being kind to NWSL, though NWSL has the benefit that WoSo rarely draws neutral fans like BroSo does, and it's a much stronger league in the WoSo landscape than MLS is in the BroSo world. If WoSo grows to the point that it regularly draws neutral fans, you can probably expect NWSL clubs to be squeezed out when big-name UEFA teams can bring in the fans. Again, ICC is a separate corporate entity, and it started as (and continues to mostly be) a men's exhibition tournament, mostly hosted in the US but rarely including MLS clubs (none since 2015).

West Ender repped this.
  21. Klingo3034

Klingo3034 Member+

Dallas FC
    United States
    Oct 11, 2019
    Well in any case it be additional benefit for overseas fans to see NWSL clubs against the well known UEFA clubs like Lyon or Barcelona, Bayern or even Chelsea.

Surely people talked about the competition between NCC and Lyon in those back to back finals.

22. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Actually, the lack of MLS clubs since 2015 is a sign of MLS's growth. MLS teams used to play a lot of mid-season friendlies against foreign clubs. They were crowd pleasers, they gave MLS clubs exposure to the broader soccer world.

But they were terribly disruptive, mostly occurring when MLS teams were in the heat of their mid-season with some clubs juggling US Open Cup and CONCACAF play.

For the most part, MLS Clubs have outgrown getting involved in independent pre-season tours of foreign clubs. You'll still find clubs scheduling their own friendlies here and there, but most clubs have made the calculus that focusing on league play is more important than filling up the local NFL Stadium with Manchester United fans for a quick payday.

The one advantage of the NWSL schedule is that at 24 (28 if you include the Challenge Cup) games, instead of 34 (plus any USOC and CCL games), there's a lot more flexibility to squeeze in things like the WICC.

Doogh, Klingo3034, blissett and 2 others repped this.
  23. Klingo3034

Klingo3034 Member+

Dallas FC
    United States
    Oct 11, 2019

West Ender repped this.
  24. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I am aware that this is vastly off-topic here, but I can't help noticing that, the day after @hotjam2 asks news about Julia Simic, she announces that she retires from playing soccer! :x3:

25. Klingo3034

Klingo3034 Member+

Dallas FC
    United States
    Oct 11, 2019