News: NWSL general news and info

Discussion in 'NWSL' started by Blaze20, Sep 14, 2016.

1. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    There's a thread for the Challenge Cup, @Klingo3034 , this is the general news thread

2. West Ender

West Ender Member

Dec 28, 2020
    Southwest
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I won't comment on Moultrie specifically, as I really don't know enough about her situation.
    I will, however, say that I think allowing younger kids to join the NWSL early is good for the sport in the long-term.
    I don't believe the NWSL will suddenly be inundated with high-level, young talent so that the older players should fear losing their spot; there is something to be said about 'experience'.
    However, the positive from such a move is that 'generational' talents would have an avenue to develop quicker.
    As much as I like college woso, I feel that the substitution rules (among other things) really hamstring player development for kids that want to play in the pros.

blissett, Doogh, AndyMead and 1 other person repped this.
  3. Klingo3034

Klingo3034 Member+

Dallas FC
    United States
    Oct 11, 2019
  4. Klingo3034

Klingo3034 Member+

Dallas FC
    United States
    Oct 11, 2019
    Can't wait to have the San Jose female team besides Angel City and we have ourselves a derby. Maybe another derby if Sac team is also introduced?

5. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  6. Klingo3034

Klingo3034 Member+

Dallas FC
    United States
    Oct 11, 2019
  7. West Ender

West Ender Member

Dec 28, 2020
    Southwest
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Reign Man repped this.
  8. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    The season is longer, but the article *also* mentions that non-salary perks like housing, cars, and childcare are much better than they were in 2013 as well, largely because many of those didn't exist in 2013. Even if the actual salary per month hasn't increased as quickly as the yearly numbers suggest, the compensation value per month has gone up significantly.

AndyMead and Klingo3034 repped this.
  9. West Ender

West Ender Member

Dec 28, 2020
    Southwest
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just thought that the article made a good point about the length of the season.
    Overall, I agree that the league has been on an upward trajectory in all facets.
    I think management/admin are growing the NWSL the right way.

SiberianThunderT repped this.
  10. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    There's a reason why the WUSA seasons ended in August - as well as the early NWSL seasons. As playing professional women's soccer was essentially a seasonal job, ending the season in August allowed players to pursue college and high school coaching opportunities.

11. Klingo3034

Klingo3034 Member+

Dallas FC
    United States
    Oct 11, 2019
  12. Klingo3034

Klingo3034 Member+

Dallas FC
    United States
    Oct 11, 2019
    https://equalizersoccer.com/2021/05...cting-the-2021-nwsl-regular-season-standings/

NWSL
    The Lowdown: Predicting the 2021 NWSL regular season standings

Tough to predict considering the roster changes, still bringing in new players especially from overseas. Some haven’t yet played so we don’t know how the teams will be like yet.

I would say Portland most likely on top. OL maybe second, Houston third, Gotham 4th. So far for now.

13. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    RGN, to me, seems like it will be a top-heavy team in the same way ORL is (and please, let's try to honor the team's main name and history, not call them only by their owners). Both teams *could* be quite good, but will they gel properly? Hard to say.

I was high on the Spirit before the Challenge Cup, but they're (surprisingly?) rough around the edges. I think they can easily make the playoffs and can challenge for the championship, but I don't think they'll be consistent enough to challenge for the shield.

Gotham seem like the team to grind out results, I can see them as top 3.

14. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    Klingo3034 and West Ender repped this.
  15. Klingo3034

Klingo3034 Member+

Dallas FC
    United States
    Oct 11, 2019
  16. Klingo3034

Klingo3034 Member+

Dallas FC
    United States
    Oct 11, 2019
    Since Mark Parsons is leaving the Thorns any chance Casey Stoney would run the team?

17. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Stoney has already been linked to the San Diego expansion effort. Not that said link rules out a different NWSL move, especially if San Diego doesn't happen, but it makes San Diego the most likely option.

18. Klingo3034

Klingo3034 Member+

Dallas FC
    United States
    Oct 11, 2019
    Just iffy about how that’s going on if they back out on it. Figure she can run Portland while getting San Diego ready next year. I mean Jill Ellis can do that right? And also this weekend is the start of the regular season.

19. Klingo3034

Klingo3034 Member+

Dallas FC
    United States
    Oct 11, 2019
  20. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    You're a bit mixed up on things, I think. Parsons leaving isn't even set yet, and if it does happen, it won't be until after the Olympics because that's when the NED job opens up. Besides, no one steps in as interim coach for a team if they have a deal to be head coach elsewhere. And I have no clue what you think Ellis can do, but playing puppetmaster with coaches at multiple teams is definitely not a skill anyone has. If San Diego looks too risky, Stoney would just pick a different team outright. And as I said before, yeah that could be POR. But that's only if San Diego doesn't work out.

Klingo3034 repped this.
  21. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    Parsons will be in Portland through the end of the season. If he signs with the Dutch, that is. That hasn’t actually happened.

if Jill gets a temporary gig it will more likely be the Dutch than the Thorns.

Klingo3034 repped this.
  22. Klingo3034

Klingo3034 Member+

Dallas FC
    United States
    Oct 11, 2019
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/sports...stercard-signs-multi-deal-nwsl-140008238.html

Mastercard Signs Multi-Year Deal with NWSL as Regular Season Starts
    Global financial services giant Mastercard has signed a multi-year sponsorship with the NWSL to be an official sponsor of the league. Financial details of the deal were not disclosed.

In addition to financial support, Mastercard will also integrate itself into the league’s fan-experience efforts, launching NWSL-specific offerings for customers on Priceless.com, the experiences and discounts platform available to cardholders. On-site events and VIP experiences at league games are also part of those plans.

59Amerinorsk and West Ender repped this.
  23. Klingo3034

Klingo3034 Member+

Dallas FC
    United States
    Oct 11, 2019
    https://www.skysports.com/football/...national-womens-soccer-league-side-angel-city

Eni Aluko named first-ever sporting director of National Women's Soccer League side Angel City
    Eni Aluko was most recently sporting director of Aston Villa Women; her departure was confirmed earlier in May; she will take on a new role in the United States, where she had spells during her playing career, becoming the first-ever sporting director of Angel City in the NWSL

SiberianThunderT and 59Amerinorsk repped this.
  24. Klingo3034

Klingo3034 Member+

Dallas FC
    United States
    Oct 11, 2019
    59Amerinorsk repped this.
  25. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    I did a cache clear earlier today, and now I'm seeing the new NWSL site! Pretty slick, I say.

Klingo3034 repped this.