News: NWSL general news and info

Discussion in 'NWSL' started by Blaze20, Sep 14, 2016.

1. McSkillz

McSkillz Member+

ANGEL CITY FC, UCLA BRUINS
    United States
    Nov 22, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Klingo3034 repped this.
  2. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Random:
    Some discussion over on the BroSo boards mentioned the double-take some fans are making now with the kids of old-school-MLS players now making waves in the league themselves, and there was a question asked about if that's happening in NWSL with kids of WUSA/WPS players. At the moment, that doesn't seem to be the case...

BUT

Someone pointed out that Tina Ellertson (St. Louis Athletica, Atlanta Beat[WPS]) has a daughter Mackenzie who's currently a prominent Washington State Cougar and should get drafted next year! Second-generation watch is starting now, I guess, and the old Athletica fan in my is psyched that might be the first.

CoachJon repped this.
  3. McSkillz

McSkillz Member+

ANGEL CITY FC, UCLA BRUINS
    United States
    Nov 22, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There's definitely WoSo kids from football and basketball dads making waves in college and NWSL but so far, I don't think we have anybody from the former USWNT players except for Ellertson's daughter. We do have a couple of kids that could possibly be ready in another 10 years though from some of our former USWNT players. I'm not sure if any of the kids from the 99er class ended up playing serious soccer and getting caught up in the USWNT youth system but I could be mistaken.

SiberianThunderT repped this.
  4. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think you're more likely to see the daughters of former men's players in NWSL than daughters of former pro women.

Vanessa DiBernardo (father Angelo played in original NASL + USMNT) has been in the league for a while. Robin Fraser (MLS + USMNT) has a daughter - Nicola - on the US U17s.

On a related piece of trivia, Susana Zigante has played for Croatia's U17s & U19s & supposedly has at least one cap for the senior team. Her mother, Gretchen Gegg Zigante, had 2 caps as a GK for the USWNT in 1986 & 1990.

Susana doesn't seem to have played in the NWSL.

5. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    RE: James Clarkson and Amanda Cromwell
    Under our laws, two principles are linked: the right to a speedy trial and presumed innocent until proven guilty. Under the CBA, we have presumed guilty until proven innocent. I believe that a speedy trial is even more imperative under that paradigm.

I feel the investigators mixed in the Clarkson case with the morass of other things being investigated and it has dragged on too long. Cromwell could be in the same boat. In both cases, the investigations should be separated, focused on, and dealt with quickly and fairly.

6. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Agree that getting to the bottom of things quickly and fairly is needed - I don't think anyone is arguing that. However, I disagree that the CBA "presumes guilty until proven innocent". That might be where the court of public opinion may go, but not the CBA. Remember, both of these suspensions have come "at the recommendation of the joint investigative team", meaning these likely aren't knee-jerk reactions - they've almost certainly already gone through some level of vetting before being recommended to the teams and then announced to the public. If these coaches were being denied pay, that would be entirely different and then I would agree with you, but that's not "administrative leave", and we can fairly strongly assume there is already more evidence in play than a simple accusation.

MRAD12 repped this.
  7. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I do feel as you the investigation in the Clarkson case has dragged too long without any word. "presumed guilty until proven innocent" may be a little too strong assumption. However IMO the court of public opinion/perception, especially after the fiascos of the previous season may have already made up its mind.

CoachJon repped this.
  8. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I would like to read McSkillz opinions as a UCLA fan on the Cromwell story.
    Thanks.

9. kolabear

kolabear Member+

Nov 10, 2006
    los angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Someone posted some interesting goal-scoring stats on Twitter while comparing Sam Kerr, Christen Press, and Alex Morgan — goals scored per 90 and specifically non-PK goals scored per 90.
    Sam Kerr (of course) still out-paces everyone by a mile with 0.67 goals/90 (non-PK) with Press at 0.44 and Morgan at 0.38
    But others over 0.40/90 include Lynn Williams (0.47), Amy Rodriguez (0.42), and Jess McDonald (0.40)

10. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well stated. You have a lot more confidence than I do that these are not knee-jerk reactions and some vetting of the situation occurred prior to the joint investigating team recommendation. The court of public opinion is dictating for sure, IMO the investigating team is not immune.

11. Glove Stinks

Glove Stinks Member+

Jan 20, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    This case is definitely not knee jerk and has been vetted. I agree on innocent til proven. This has been going on for some time

12. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    are these NWSL, national team or life long stats? Kerr’s current league, WSL, is giving mixed signals on how good it is; it feels like it’s the strongest, most balanced league in Europe, yet its three Champions League cubs failed miserably in that venture(or at least this year)

Christen Press league season stats so far with Angel City been an underachieving 1 goal in 18 shots in 620 minutes of playing time. So we’ll see if Vlatko keeps his word & picks players only based on current league play

Casey Stoney coached both Press & Morgan. She only managed 4 goals from Press last year at Man U, yet 8 goals so far from Morgan at San Diego(though this team seems so tailored made to get Morgan on the scoreboard especially with hiring of the world’s fastest winger in Jakobsson and powerful/youthful mids presence with the likes of Kornieck & Turnbow) It also helps that Morgan gets to take all the PK’s and that Stoney got to be the most ‘direct’ minded coach I’ve ever seen

Klingo3034 repped this.
  13. ytrs

ytrs Member+

Jan 24, 2018
    Trinity Rodman only has one goal on the season, too. So I guess she should be out then if Press is, by your thinking.

I was at the Wave game last night, and I saw nothing direct about their style of play. This 'direct' minded label seems to get tossed around, but it is not how the Wave play. They were incredible last night. Should have won 4-0, but the officials were horrible, disallowing two goals, not calling a PK, and then giving Portland a really soft penalty kick (on an obvious flop).

Reign Man repped this.
  14. 59Amerinorsk

59Amerinorsk Member

Chicago Red Stars
    Norway
    Mar 31, 2017
    Tina - what a hell of of a defender! She remains one of my all time favorite players!

SiberianThunderT repped this.
  15. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    #2815 hotjam2, Jun 10, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2022
    here's an example of an previous Casey Stoney coached game from last year's Man U match which I would call very 'don't hold your breath, attack 'direct' soccer with the wingers doing all the hard running work (taking it straight up)to set up the usual inept Press chances to score on numerous occasions(finally getting one of her 4 goals of the season

though fun to watch, unfortunately Stoney's hybrid style got a lot of her players injured by the end of last season(Heath, Galton, Russo) and thus saw her most of the season's first place standing, reduced to an final 4th place(which man't they falied to qualify for the important Champions League). Hopefully under the tutelage of Jill Ellis(another 'direct' labelled coach, but who knew more how to pace her squad) will not deja vu again(and not blow it again by the end of the season),

16. SAS_Soccer

SAS_Soccer Member

Everton FC
    United States
    Nov 17, 2021
    Hearing that Cromwell's time in Orlando is basically over and it's now up to the lawyers to go toe to toe for a settlement package. All down to a prima donna player not getting her way.

17. ytrs

ytrs Member+

Jan 24, 2018
    A good coach plays a system that fits her personnel. Perhaps she played that way due to her personel at Man U. But, her current team does not play that way.

18. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Wow. I just don't see a coach being fired or under investigation because one player not getting her way and I don't see a player on the Pride at this time with that kind of power. Marta is injured, Leroux seems content. Morgan who IMO has real power is not there anymore. I'm sure there is an inside scoop there that most of us don't know about.
    Any idea what this player is complaining about?

19. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    looking at last nite's Wave vs Reign highlights, you can't get more direct than Morgan's goal & Jakobssons subsequent effort. lol. In my book there's really only two types of attacking styles out there; direct & deliberate, with the latter more done with several passes put together to achieve the final shot In this match, even Reign feels like their going more direct, but for better or worse, NWSL tend to ride on English coaches(both club's as well as Jill Ellis)/Vlatko might be the most deliberate type coach in the whole USA, lol

with Vlatko's playbook plans pretty much up in smoke(as he seemingly build his whole team around the agile Macario) he could build it around San Diego, as Kornieck & Turnbow have been looking pretty good too(in support of Morgan)

20. ytrs

ytrs Member+

Jan 24, 2018
    Are you saying that a possession team who has the ability to exploit another team’s weakness in the back should not take advantage of it? SD got in behind about four times in the first ten minutes of that game playing pretty direct. They stunned OL. But that doesn’t mean that is their consistent style. That was just smart tactics with mismatched between SD fast forwards and the OK back line. SD did not play the full game like that.

21. TheJoeGreene

TheJoeGreene Member+

Aug 19, 2012
    The Lubbock Texas
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Any news on the next NWSL TV deal?

22. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  23. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    I would not be surprised if we hear nothing until after either:
    1. the WCQ tournament is over, or
    2. the next expansion teams are announced
    So probably no sooner than September either way

TheJoeGreene repped this.
  24. ytrs

ytrs Member+

Jan 24, 2018
  25. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    #2825 MRAD12, Jul 27, 2022
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2022
    The Chicago Fire and Chicago Red Stars play a double-header this Saturday night 7/30/22.
    They have played double-headers before but this is the first time at iconic Soldier Field on Chicago's lake front. As a STH of both, I'm going to really enjoy this one.

[​IMG]