News: NWSL general news and info

Discussion in 'NWSL' started by Blaze20, Sep 14, 2016.

1. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's certainly a possibility, but it's something they could have done when the Hanauer's were minority owners, but they didn't do it then. *shrug*

2. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    An excellent part of the move is that Seattle -- and their opponents -- will be playing on a good soccer field.

blissett repped this.
  3. Roger Allaway

Roger Allaway Member+

Apr 22, 2009
    Warminster, Pa.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Isn't that atmosphere dependent on the crowd? I don't think it automatically comes with the stadium. If the Reign can match the Sounders crowds, then I'm all for it. That's a big if, however.

4. Klingo3034

Klingo3034 Member+

Dallas FC
    United States
    Oct 11, 2019
    Right now they just limiting to 10k capacity crowd so the rest of the stands will be covered.

5. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Doubtful. That's not cheap. Maybe parts of the lower bowl, but I just don't see them covering all but 10k seats.

6. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Sounders have a bunch of generic tarps they could probably use.

Klingo3034 repped this.
  7. Doogh

Doogh Member+

Oct 5, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    SiberianThunderT and Klingo3034 repped this.
  8. Klingo3034

Klingo3034 Member+

Dallas FC
    United States
    Oct 11, 2019
    https://equalizersoccer.com/2021/12/15/san-diego-wave-crest-colors-sdsu-snapdragon-stadium/

San Diego Wave unveil crest, announce new SDSU stadium as permanent home

San Diego Wave FC will play home games at San Diego State University’s new Snapdragon Stadium when the venue opens in September, the club announced. The Wave will play those games with a pink-and-blue crest, the team also unveiled on Wednesday.

The 35,000-seat Snapdragaon Stadium is being built in the Mission Valley area of the city. The school’s football team will be the primary tenant, but the stadium was built with soccer in mind for field width and sightlines.

“Snapdragon Stadium provides elite facilities for our players and premium amenities for our fans,” Wave FC president Jill Ellis said. “From day one, we set out to deliver an unrivaled gameday experience for fans that matches the energy and quality of soccer on the field.”

Wave FC will play at the University of San Diego’s Torero Stadium in 2022 — its inaugural season in the National Women’s Soccer League — until Snapdragon Stadium is ready for use.

[​IMG]

toad455 repped this.
  9. Klingo3034

Klingo3034 Member+

Dallas FC
    United States
    Oct 11, 2019
    Wonder if they will use Snapdragon stadium for the 2022 NWSL Final. Says it will open in September of 2022.

10. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Probably too risky to schedule that. Any opening delays could create issues, and they'd have to convince the school to leave a specific weekend open on their football schedule.

It's definitely possible, but I would think next year would be much more likely.

Who knows when we'll get an NWSL 2022 schedule, nor how deep into the fall the season will run.

One think that makes Banc of California Stadium in LA more likely of the two new entrants is the fact that MLS is ending early this year because of the Qatar World Cup.

McSkillz, Klingo3034 and Noledavey repped this.
  11. Klingo3034

Klingo3034 Member+

Dallas FC
    United States
    Oct 11, 2019
    #2686 Klingo3034, Dec 16, 2021
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2021
    Makes sense, and Banc Stadium is just as good venue as well.

Maybe they use Snapdragon in 2023 Final.

12. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    when the whitecaps were marooned in the US during the pandemic and they played at Providence Park, the magic of television projected fans in empty seats and whitecap logos and sponsors throughout the stadium with the flick of a switch.

Klingo3034 repped this.
  13. Klingo3034

Klingo3034 Member+

Dallas FC
    United States
    Oct 11, 2019
    I nearly forgot about that. Virtual tarp or fans!

These days they can put virtual fans just like you see in FIFA games.

14. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Schedule news dropped during the draft:

Challenge Cup - Mar.19 to May7
    Four groups of three, going to semifinals

Regular season will be 22 games instead of 24
    Fully balance home-and-away schedule

NWSL Championship - weekend of Oct.28
    Six-team playoffs again (which I think was expected)

Both the Challenge Cup final and NWSL Championship will be on CBS

Klingo3034 repped this.
  15. Noledavey

Noledavey New Member

FSU
    United States
    Oct 4, 2020
    I wonder if CBS will schedule it for Saturday night this time?

16. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    One would hope so! Especially since championship weekend is being announced a month an a half earlier than it was last year, so there's even more planning time ahead.
    Oops here, I meant three groups of four; also will be double-round-robin, so minimum of 6 games per team, up to 8 for finalists.

17. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Random trivia tidbit I noticed from Wiki-walking after my draft watching:
    The joint record for numbers of team a player has scored for is 5:
    ...and both players have been traded in the past few days to entirely new teams. I fully expect both players to bump the joint record for teams-you've-scored-for up to six this coming season. :D

blissett and Klingo3034 repped this.
  18. TheJoeGreene

TheJoeGreene Member+

Aug 19, 2012
    The Lubbock Texas
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Almost no chance. CBS still has SEC football for 2 more years so that's going to get priority during the fall. That particular weekend has multiple marquee matchups, including Florida vs Georgia, so it's likely going to be on where there's a 3:30pm ET game and a 7 or 8pm ET game.

19. Noledavey

Noledavey New Member

FSU
    United States
    Oct 4, 2020
    I don't recall CBS running any night games. ESPN/ABC usually gets those. After this year's championships, and the 3:30 SEC game, CBS favored us with its usual evening of reruns.

20. TheJoeGreene

TheJoeGreene Member+

Aug 19, 2012
    The Lubbock Texas
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I forgot they dropped off that late game in the last year or two, but those reruns are bringing in viewership in the range of 2.5 million most weeks, so that's still unlikely to move in favor of NWSL.

21. Noledavey

Noledavey New Member

FSU
    United States
    Oct 4, 2020
    You're probably right, and that makes it unlikely the game would be played on the West Coast unless the network and the league ignore the players' wishes.

22. TheJoeGreene

TheJoeGreene Member+

Aug 19, 2012
    The Lubbock Texas
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Friday night, or the late afternoon slot on Sunday after the early NFL games, seem much more likely. The more interesting time will be 2024, when CBS no longer has SEC football at all. I'm assuming they'll try to elevate the Mountain West conference and also get a piece of the Big 10 deal. The Big 12 comes up for a new deal the year after that. NWSL might be able to get a better foothold on a prime time/late afternoon Saturday slot for their championship then.

Noledavey and SiberianThunderT repped this.
  23. Klingo3034

Klingo3034 Member+

Dallas FC
    United States
    Oct 11, 2019
    Why not 24? 12 home and 12 away game. 12 teams.

24. Noledavey

Noledavey New Member

FSU
    United States
    Oct 4, 2020
    Much as playing with oneself might appeal, the 12 teams have 11 opponents. Hence, 22 games.

JanBalk and TheJoeGreene repped this.
  25. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    ...really? You can't play yourself! :confused: That's like.... not even basic math, it's just counting. WTF

TheJoeGreene repped this.