PBP: NWSL CHAMPIONSHIP FINAL Pre/In/Post Game Discussion

Discussion in 'NWSL' started by sisterluke, Aug 24, 2013.

1. sisterluke

sisterluke Member

Sep 27, 2008
    Los Angeles,CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Sol
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Western New York Flash hosts the Championship match on 8/31/13 in Rochester, NY against the Portland Thorns. The match will be available to watch live on Fox Sports 2 @ 8PM ET.

Thoughts, predictions, and philosophical ideas are all welcome ;)

2. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
  3. RUfan

RUfan Member

Dec 11, 2004
    NJ
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And at least did Newsouth and ForeverLost108 (who had WNY #1 seed and Portland #3).

And the league powers to be have the final they wanted for TV, although at New York instead of Portland
    and possible without Morgan.

4. holden

holden Member+

Dundee FC, Yeovil Town LFC, Girondins de Bordeaux
    Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    I had Portland and WNY in the final. But Portland #1 and WNY #3.

5. RUfan

RUfan Member

Dec 11, 2004
    NJ
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Some fans will have trouble finding it on TV.

6. cflsteve

cflsteve Member

Jul 21, 2013
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    I don't know what they have planned to broadcast on FS1 but if they can get they could get the game over on FS1 instead of FS2 more will find it and more will have it.
    Could not ask for a better match up to get both the US and Canada interested Wambach vs Sinclair.
    Venue one of the two perfect venues as Sahlens, Jeld Wen the other, will come off very professional on TV at a newer soccer specific venue.
    Hopefully between Fox and CWNT can find a network to simulcast the Fox broadcast o a Canadian Network. I suspect that Rogers Sportsnet family of channels can find room. This Saturday Sportsnet 360 broadcast the TFC game at 7:pm

7. holden

holden Member+

Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    According to the listings, FS1 is showing some UFC fight.

8. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey, I got the 4 playoff teams in exact order. Not my fault KC decided to choke today.

9. RUfan

RUfan Member

Dec 11, 2004
    NJ
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  10. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Yeah - from the predictions, NJ had an average predicted position of 5.33 while CHI had an average of 4.42.

In terms of predicting who made the final, WNY was picked 10 times, followed by POR with 7 and KC with 6. NJ, CHI, and SEA were all picked once each.

11. cflsteve

cflsteve Member

Jul 21, 2013
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Unlikely that they would switch UFC to FS2. With the report that there will be no expansion for 2014 it will give the league a full year to plan National weekly game, Playoffs and Finals, and local network coverage for each club.

12. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Ive been on WNY and FCKC most of the season so that's a half fail for me.

13. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Sam Kerr officially wins the battle of the Australians as last Aussie standing.

SiberianThunderT repped this.
  14. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hope there are a lot of visiting fans for the Championship game. There is nothing tricky about the seating chart; meaning no ridiculous blind spots or seats right behind structural columns. There is a permanent upper deck (Sections 303-311) on the bench side that currently is not shown on the Flash website or Rhinos web site; it IS shown on Ticketmaster.

Probably Wednesday or Thursday I will post a few of the features of Sahlen's stadium (food, where the players come in, etc), for those visiting the first time. And some things to see and do in Rochester.

Policies are pretty reasonable regarding banners, flags, noise makers , alcohol, etc: http://www.rhinossoccer.com/stadium/policies/

Note that the Niagara Falls are only about 1 hour 45 minutes from Sahlen's Stadium. As an option, bring your passport if you want to go on the Canadian side; not going to Canada in no way makes the visit less worth while. Maid of the Mist operates from both the Canadian and American sides.

For anyone flying, the schedule into Buffalo is a lot more frequent and generally cheaper than Rochester. The Buffalo airport is about 1 hour 15 minutes from Sahlen's Stadium. The Buffalo Airport is about 30-45 minutes away from the Niagara Falls.

CANAmerican repped this.
  15. sisterluke

sisterluke Member

Sep 27, 2008
    Los Angeles,CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Sol
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The only reason why I would visit Rochester is to visit the George Eastman house since I want to be a film preservationist. I'm kidding btw, I wouldn't mind visiting out of curiosity. If I wanted to visit Toronto, would I be able to visit both Toronto and Rochester in the same trip?

Also what is the big deal about Niagara Falls? Isn't it just some big waterfall people walk over and stare at?

16. holden

holden Member+

Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    UFC used to be exclusively on Fuel which is now FS2. I'm actually surprised they think it will get good enough ratings to warrant being on FS1. I don't know where people get tv rating info from, but if someone could look at what the average UFC match pulls in vs the NWSL games this weekend, I think that would be interesting to see.

17. cflsteve

cflsteve Member

Jul 21, 2013
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Sinclair vs Wambach could draw some Canadian attention for sure

18. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Aha! - film preservation - connects to Mary Pickford-100% American - connects to filmmaking. If you do ever plan a Rochester trip, besides the Eastman House, you could google Dryden Theater (at the EH), Little Theater (our 'Art' house), Image Permanence Institute (at RIT), and Jack Garner Film Critic.

Staring at Niagara Falls - yup, just like Clark Griswold at the Grand Canyon, only wetter.

19. newsouth

newsouth Member

Nov 20, 2010
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Just make sure Mitts is working the sidelines. I have no clue who the other lady was, but she was horrendous.

20. rochesterian80

Mar 28, 2013
    Club:
    Rochester Rhinos
    With Southwest Airlines now at Rochester too, pricing is a lot more competitive. So checking both is definitely worthwhile. Our airport used to be cost prohibitive years back, but it has steadily improved and become competitive.

21. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just hope for the final that we don't get a commentator that spends the majority of the match kissing the asses of either Portland or WNY. Listening to DiCicco giving SkyBlue a tonguebath for 90 minutes when they were getting their asses kicked for the vast majority of the game was terrible.

22. RUfan

RUfan Member

Dec 11, 2004
    NJ
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And actually show her to us this time!

23. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    They threw it to Mitts a lot. The producer seemed really keen on the Mitt's take on the game.

24. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Morgan says she will be 100% for Saturday and Heath has not damage to the foot it's still just sore.

25. BlitzSpiele

BlitzSpiele Member

Sep 7, 2007
    Picked up my tickets for Saturday's final. Ticket sales have been strong enough that they are rumored to be opening the upper deck for the Championship.

CANAmerican, Namdynamo, mamalia and 3 others repped this.