NWR: Where did you eat last night? [NSR]

Discussion in 'Sporting Kansas City' started by szazzy, Dec 14, 2007.

1. KCRovert

KCRovert BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 17, 2004
    Overland Park
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: NWR: Where did you eat last night?

There are a couple of Mimi's in joco (on 135th & at Oak Park Mall)....have only been there once, at the 135th location, but it was good "homey" food. If you was a great reuben, you have to try d'Bronx (but hit the one at 39th & Bell down by KU Med Center), the just opened a location at 107th & Metcalf, but it's so-so.

Where-abouts in joco did you guys settle in?

2. Roush

Roush Member

Dec 19, 2001
    Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Not precisely last night, but tasty nonetheless.

[​IMG]

Even though I'm the more adventurous when it comes to food, Brenda found a little note about a place in Chicago in our guide book. We went to SushiSamba Rio, an intriguing mix of Japanese and Brazilian cuisine. Despite being cold as hell and us being sat by the door, it was really good.

In addition to the Sawagani - flash-fried Japanese river crabs - which were like little meat-stuffed potato chips, I had the shrimp anticuchos and seared otoro Kobe Beef.

The shrimp was probably the most flavorful I'd ever had, but the beef appetizer was strangely underwhelming. Great flavor, but I'm not sure I'd have it again.

Her Chicken Teriyaki was solid, even with an unexpected presentation - dark quarter chicken atop mashed potatoes - and the dessert was awesome. A great combination of luscious ice cream and diced mango with a sake gelee.

Don't ask about the price....

3. kcscsupporter

kcscsupporter Member+

Apr 17, 2002
    D17
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

game on!:D

4. FRYE!

FRYE! New Member

Oct 21, 2007
    KC

my wife's birthday is tomorrow, so last night we went out to the Bristol. for an appetizer, we had fried calamari. she chose a caesar and i the house salad. and for the main course, she had scallops and i had the atlantic salmon. it was all very good.

5. Jarnevic

Jarnevic BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 21, 2005
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Had the buffalo chicken strips at Jaywalkers while watching the game. If any KU fans/alums have never been there, check it out. It's located right across the street from KU Med on Rainbow. Their burgers have this "pretzel bun." It's awesome. It's also the only place that has Free State on tap.

Then I headed to the Red Balloon for giant PBRs and a very subpar karaoke jam. Usually it's fun there, but last night there was just to many geezers singing old country tunes that I didn't recognize.

6. Abracadabra

Abracadabra BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 11, 2006
    Olathe, Kansas
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

There's a hole in the wall around 75th & Nieman called The Red Balloon. You're not talking about the same place are you?

7. Jarnevic

Apr 21, 2005
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Yes indeed.

8. BenC1357

BenC1357 Member

Feb 23, 2001
    KC

El Migay's in Lees Summit.

Saturday night margaritas!!! :D

9. Silock

Silock Member

Feb 8, 2007
    KC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Went to Izumi. It's a japanese sushi/hibachi place on 135th and Quivera. Very, very good sushi. Good to find a place so close to our house so we don't have to drive out to the Legends to go to Stix.

10. szazzy

szazzy Member

Apr 18, 2004
    Kansas City, MO

Met some friends at the Bonefish Grill at 135th and Nall. Had the Chicken Portabella Pasta along with the Corn and Crab Chowder. Very good, about 10-25 for an entree.

El Maguey's rocks. Used to go there all the time.

11. kopiteinkc

kopiteinkc Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2000
    Shawnee
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

McCoys, they have the seasonal ESB on tap, yummy

Oh and the Morrocan Stir Fry to eat :D

12. Redfoot

Redfoot New Member

Dec 19, 2002
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I had lunch at a place called the Brugge here in Indy. It's worth a stop if you're ever in Indy. I had the grilled chicken sandwich which is good but the main attraction are the pomme frites and the beer if you like belgian styles which they brew themselves. They normally have 4 different types on tap and you can choose between something like 15 different sauces for your frites. It's great. It's also soccer friendly they normally put big games up on the projection screen.

13. SamPierron

SamPierron BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 30, 1998
    Kansas City
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Anybody up for joining me for happy hour at Le Fou Frog Thursday or Friday? I have a serious jones to go there, and their happy hour menu is sweet.

14. szazzy

szazzy Member

Apr 18, 2004
    Kansas City, MO

Normally I'd be down, but my wallet has taken a beating over the last couple weeks. Great food and atmosphere. You might need a reservation on a Friday. It's pretty popular, and there have been a couple times I couldn't get a table.

15. Jarnevic

Apr 21, 2005
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

And a reservation for Thursday. It's Valentines Day.

16. j_m_t

j_m_t Member

Aug 27, 2005
    KC
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

f' the frog...mainly its owner and moron wife:mad:

i'm not bitter though they do have good food they are just assholes to employees

17. Wizardscharter

Wizardscharter New Member

Jul 25, 2001
    Blue Springs, MO

Found myself with a friend late Saturday afternonon in Lee's Summit trying to find a place to just have a drink. We were killing some time before a home poker game in that neck of the woods. First two places were packed enough to not be able to find a parking space...chain places with embarassingly bad food, BTW. (This and Jazz goes belly up out there, disgusting.) So, we end up at Applebee's bar.

My friend ordered a nachos to compliment an extremely well poured Crown rocks (roughly a triple shot, and my screwdriver was decently poured also, thanks Lacy!). I wouldn't mention nachos, but this one was unique in that the jalepenos were fresh cut that day and not from a #10 can. I'm sure there are other places that do this, but the only place I know besides that is the sports bar at Ameristar.

18. SamPierron

SamPierron BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 30, 1998
    Kansas City
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I was thinking about starting at 4...and my birthday is Friday.

Hmm...maybe next week.

19. Chairman Mau

Chairman Mau Member

Jul 4, 2007
    Birdland
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa

pan-fried chicken at home.

20. kcscsupporter

kcscsupporter Member+

Apr 17, 2002
    D17
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

just so y'all are aware, today is national pancake day. head on over to ihop and get a free short stack of pancakes... and maybe make a small donation to the children's miracle network.

http://www.ihoppancakeday.com/

so many other restaurants should be doing something like this. ihop certainly doesn't lose any money giving away all those pancakes because of all the other food people buy while there, and i'm sure they raise an absolute bundle for charity.

21. Chairman Mau

Chairman Mau Member

Jul 4, 2007
    Birdland
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa

^i did that ihop thing. and had a cheeseburger too.

i went to el rancho yesterday and today. if you went to mu, you'd understand how great it is that there's one in kc now. there's virtually no reason to ever go to columbia missouri now.

i recommend it... fast, cheap, and open late on weekends for you westport drunks. it's in that little strip where chili's is in westport. over by boston market.

22. kcscsupporter

kcscsupporter Member+

Apr 17, 2002
    D17
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    dug down a little bit to find this thread. for anyone on the east side of town, i tried a new bbq place in blue springs today, called colorado pete's. while i absolutely love zarda bbq, i've wondered for awhile why there was only one bbq joint in blue springs... or really, east of noland road. i guess this place just opened up a little while ago. i had the pulled pork sandwich and it was quite good. the sauce was a little too sweet for my preference, but it actually blended in well with the pork. i didn't really like it much with the beef brisket or turkey. the meat itself, w/out the sauce, was really good though, and i'd have no problem getting a sandwich dry. pretty good price too. i had a pretty good sized sandwich and a good amount of fries for around $7, i think. really good service too, but it is new, so i'm sure they're trying to impress.

23. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    In the hotel, arabic spiced chicken and rice. quite good.

24. Evidica

Evidica New Member

May 19, 2008
    Overland Park, KS
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Texas Roadhouse at 119th and Strang Line. My server was high, he kept forgetting things.

25. Roush

Roush Member

Dec 19, 2001
    Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gates....

If only you could combine Arthur Bryant's meat with the fries from Gates...