NWR: Where did you eat last night? [NSR]

Discussion in 'Sporting Kansas City' started by szazzy, Dec 14, 2007.

1. Abracadabra

Abracadabra BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 11, 2006
    Olathe, Kansas
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: NWR: Where did you eat last night?

I knew this soccer pub thing was too good to be true. Back to the Embassy it is.

2. kcscsupporter

kcscsupporter Member+

Apr 17, 2002
    D17
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

ok, i admit it, i don't get it. is james westfall a giant douchebag or something? i've never heard of the guy.

3. Abracadabra

Abracadabra BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 11, 2006
    Olathe, Kansas
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Oh I guess I misunderstood his meaning. Carry on.

4. Jarnevic

Jarnevic BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 21, 2005
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

One80 rules. Good menu. Good drink. Hot chicks. This is where you will find me most Friday happy hours.

5. vividox

vividox Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 10, 2005
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City

Last night? Taco Bell. It was 50 cent Taco Tuesday (soft tacos and hard tacos are 50 cents each, no limit), so I got 13.

6. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

I've only spent a few weeks there, but one thing I loved to discover is that Thai's don't do Pad Thai. They're bemused by the idea. The fact is, American cuisine is often better than the original, because the ingredients are both good and varied. The originals are interesting, as well, of course.

On a personal note, I ate at babi's, a greek place on the ground floor of my apartment, which is now echoing as I type. So empty.
    My furniture is in the first moments of trundling, then floating, then, I guess, trundling again, towards KC (shawnee), so if I wasn't a rep slut and was able, I would rep the lot here. I appreciate the suggestions, the shawnee deal is very interesting, as are the the crossroads ones (I'll be working there).
    So, anyway, thanks.

To keep on point, I had the lammenkutlet an reisgericht or some such nonsense mit schafkase. Lamb on rice with feta cheese melted over the top, basically. quite good, and the owner is a friend (and owner of the best bakery I've ever frequented).
    But, officially as of now, it's good'bye Berlin, hello KC.

7. kcscsupporter

kcscsupporter Member+

Apr 17, 2002
    D17
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

welcome home.

8. Felixx219

Felixx219 BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 8, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I ate at Uno last night in Liberty. They have the best deep dish pizza, I love it! They also have an in house Amber Ale that is very good.

9. kcscsupporter

kcscsupporter Member+

Apr 17, 2002
    D17
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

i wish they'd have that down here. i love 50 cent tacos.

we love you it too.:D

10. Felixx219

Felixx219 BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 8, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Wow, that was a bad one.

11. Wizardscharter

Wizardscharter New Member

Jul 25, 2001
    Blue Springs, MO

Geees man, were you feeding a small family...?!? :)

Leftover jambalaya here. Leftovers are spicier than the first day.

Also experienced yesterday: Whitmann's has something called a Soho Sampler I think (red "roofed" box, roughly 3 oz, $4 Wal-Mart). It has 6 funky chockies with mostly uncommon flavor combos. Anyway, if you like sweets and "new" flavors, this is for you. If you split it with friends or family, be the first to claim the Pear (it's the only white chocolate one). Pear explodes over your tastebuds and then you get the chocolate melt-away feeling from both the coating and amazingly, the center. The sea-salt caramel (caramels are square traditionally) is the best of the other 5 good offerings also.

12. FRYE!

FRYE! New Member

Oct 21, 2007
    KC

ate at the new Mi Ranchito location out on 119th for lunch today with my wife and two friends. split a pitcher of margaritas and i had the cream cheese chicken enchilada. a couple tv's were tuned to ESPN deportes and had futbol on. it was good.

13. pkhooligan

pkhooligan Member

Mar 30, 2006
    Dead. City.
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

i have no idea what that means. but if you're worried about that. UMNT watch parties info soon.

hmm. interesting. i may have to give you shit if i see you in there.

14. Wizardscharter

Jul 25, 2001
    Blue Springs, MO

Over Christmas Day holiday I had three new (to me) things worth mentioning among 3 counters full of outstandingly fattening and tasty holiday fare.

1) Peanut clusters - Remarkably easy recipe. 2 bags butterscotch chips with 1 bag chocolate chips, melt smooth, add teaspoon vanilla, pour in shelled and skinned peanuts. Clump on wax paper...into cool air to set.

2)Chipotle pulled pork - all day slow cooked pork loin seasoned with a liquid chipotle base mixture. Your choice of Gates of KC Masterpiece over the top. Served with tragically unneeded dinner rolls and baby swiss.

3)Peanut butter chocolate cookies - Apparently from Costco. Beige cookies with a chocolate drop on them covered in vanilla frosting/glaze. I couldn't decide if they were good or great so I kept having to have another one.

In the preditory gift exchange I ended up with the "Disco-ball" wrapped bottle of Absolute so the screwdrivers were quite passable later as well.

15. kopiteinkc

kopiteinkc Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2000
    Shawnee
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

La Bodega happy hour (2-6 M-F), 50% of the whole menu.

Beamish stout on tap for $2.25 :D

Oh and the tapas were good too!

16. Jarnevic

Apr 21, 2005
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I must also state that I usually find my way over to Harry's or McCoy's afterwards. But I'm usually out of Westport by the time the 18-years old show up.

I also hit a police car a few years ago after a few drinks and talked my way out of being hauled off to jail. After that scenario, I feel that my luck in Westport has run dry. So I'm more of a Plaza/downtown denizen these days.

17. Jarnevic

Apr 21, 2005
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

We go there a lot because my girlfriend and friends think they have the best sangria in town. It is good, and REALLY strong.

18. pkhooligan

pkhooligan Member

Mar 30, 2006
    Dead. City.
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

so do we all.

hahahaha good times huh

19. kcscsupporter

kcscsupporter Member+

Apr 17, 2002
    D17
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

los corrals (next to the peanut downtown)

it's a family tradition to go there as often as possible. i'm probably a bit biased about it, because i was practically raised to grow big and strong on their cheese dip, but it's the best mexican food in the city (and it's really inexpensive too).

the way i see it, and i'm aware this is extremely simplistic, is that you're either a los corrals-type mexican food fan or you're a ponak's-type mexican food fan. it's just what i always hear from people who don't like los corrals that much. they always respond by saying, "oh, i much prefer ponak's."

one of the best things about the place might just be something that you don't even have to pay for - the customary chips and salsa while you're waiting for your food. the chips are always hot, and the salsa is even served warm, which is where the separation between other mexican places and this one comes in.

seriously, if i lived downtown, i'd have round-the-clock indigestion from eating there all the time.

20. kopiteinkc

kopiteinkc Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2000
    Shawnee
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

Blue Koi -- again

The Firebird maybe the best meal on the planet. 1554 bottles there too :)

21. IASocFan

IASocFan Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 13, 2000
    IOWA
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

We celebrated my parents 66th wedding anniversary yesterday with lunch at EBT at I435 and State Line. Outstanding food and service! I was glad I wasn't paying the bill. We finished it off with dinner from KC Masterpiece. I don't think I need to eat much today! :p

22. Jarnevic

Apr 21, 2005
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

That's one of our favorite places. I used to live a block away from there, and we'd walk there ALL the time. My girlfriend's family has been going there since it opened, and I've just recently (within the last 6 years) discovered it. If you didn't know already, they sell the salsa in most local grocery stores.

23. kcscsupporter

kcscsupporter Member+

Apr 17, 2002
    D17
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

glad to know there are other lifers out there.

24. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

if it's good enough to keep you from at least occassionally getting a BLT at the peanut, it must be pretty good. Their BLT, the reuben at New York deli and the bryants beef are the three best sandwiches in town.
    Just arrived in town here, but out in Joco for the first time. Ate at some place called mimi's or something close to that. Good chicken fried steak. cookie cutter, but the kids liked it (the family is totally grooving on both actual service and free drink refills).

25. Wizardscharter

Jul 25, 2001
    Blue Springs, MO

Movie night with friends produced a dinner of popcorn and pop. It was tasty popcorn and the pop was cold.