Nuno Mendes - The Future LB of Portugal

Discussion in 'Portugal' started by SCP_16, Mar 1, 2021.

1. SCP_16

SCP_16 Member+

Aug 8, 2004
    Bay Area
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Figured we can kickstart a thread on the future LB of Portugal. Didn’t have a good game against Porto, but otherwise, he’s been incredibly efficient defending and attacking.

2. prodigal_mind

prodigal_mind Member+

Cristiano Ronaldo
    Portugal
    Jul 3, 2018
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    #2 prodigal_mind, Mar 1, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2021
    Unfortunately for him he probably wont play for a very long time. Ricardo at rb and daddy Cancelo at lb is too strong.

3. SCP_16

SCP_16 Member+

Aug 8, 2004
    Bay Area
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Cancelo can play RB. Ricardo Pereira is washed and inferior to our other options.

4. eurodad

eurodad Member+

Mar 15, 2005
    Brampton
    Nuno Mendes is going to be a star, just dont think he is there just yet but what a prospect !!!

5. SCP_16

SCP_16 Member+

Aug 8, 2004
    Bay Area
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Just curious. Felix had a great season at SLB as a 19 year and was only there one season then got called up to the National Team and hasn't done shit since. How is he ready but Mendes isn't? How much have you seen of Mendes?

6. eurodad

eurodad Member+

Mar 15, 2005
    Brampton
    #6 eurodad, Mar 1, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2021
    And Felix was not ready for it , was he ? Now you want to start an 18 year old at such a difficult position when we have solid experienced players to play there for at least now. I know want to turn this into a Benfica vs Sporting conversation but it really isn’t. It’s a lot to ask of an 18 year old to defend against the best forwards in the world. IMO it’s easier for an 18 year old to step in as a forward than at defence.

I love Mendes and think he is definitely the future at that position and would be shocked if he was not called up next year

7. SCP_16

SCP_16 Member+

Aug 8, 2004
    Bay Area
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    According to you and all the Benfica homers around here, FAILix is the second coming of Christ.

I'm not saying Mendes needs to start, I'm simply saying he's shit on almost every team he's played this season. His play is above average for an 18 year old and he does a great job defending AND attacking. Why can't he get a call-up?

-Gurreiro is washed and doesn't play LB for his club
    -Ricardo Perreira has been perennially hurt

What other options do we have that have the same ceiling as Mendes?

8. eurodad

eurodad Member+

Mar 15, 2005
    Brampton

Lol ok your right , it is a plan from the Benfica underworld to keep Sporting players down.

9. SCP_16

SCP_16 Member+

Aug 8, 2004
    Bay Area
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I never said any of that, but whatever...

10. BatatasFritas

BatatasFritas Member+

Nov 29, 2004
    Toronto
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Any relation to Jorge Mendes? If not then you know the deal

SCP_16 repped this.
  11. eurodad

eurodad Member+

Mar 15, 2005
    Brampton
  12. SCP_16

SCP_16 Member+

Aug 8, 2004
    Bay Area
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Well what other choice did they have? If Cancelo plays RB, then Mendes' is Portugal's best LB easily.

Also, your conclusion is absolutely bullshit, considering the Liga's top goal-scorer, and one of the best players this season (if not the best) was not called up to the main NT, but to the U21: https://abola.pt/nnh/2021-03-15/sub-21-rui-jorge-anuncia-convocatoria-para-o-europeu/882796

We all know Pote absolutely deserves a call up to the main team, but yet, here we are.

13. prodigal_mind

prodigal_mind Member+

Cristiano Ronaldo
    Portugal
    Jul 3, 2018
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    shifting the goalposts

14. eurodad

eurodad Member+

Mar 15, 2005
    Brampton
    Its not bullshit, it just shows that not everything is a conspiracy against your team.
    Sometimes they are judgement calls. Not all judgement calls are good ones lol
    Listen, Im not here to say that Sporting has not be wrong done by Benfica and Porto. Im just saying that its not to the same degree that you accuse of.

15. SCP_16

SCP_16 Member+

Aug 8, 2004
    Bay Area
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I never claimed everything was a conspiracy against our team. My claim was that because clubs, like Benfica, get more players called up for less based a number of factors that don't pertain to actually deserving a call-up.

16. eurodad

eurodad Member+

Mar 15, 2005
    Brampton
    There was a time when the majority of the NT players were Sporting players. Im sure we will see that return with the success your players are having now and rightfully so. I really dont care, I just want our NT to win.

17. grassman

grassman Member

May 18, 2006
    Toronto
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal

SCP_16 repped this.
  18. SCP_16

SCP_16 Member+

Aug 8, 2004
    Bay Area
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: holy shit that is the funniest thing I've ever seen.

19. SCP_16

SCP_16 Member+

Aug 8, 2004
    Bay Area
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    This isn't really clubismo thing for me either. I can acknowledge that dudes like Cancelo and Bernardo Silva give Portugal the best chance to win.

But the reason SCP players were called up was because they deserved and gave Portugal the best chance to win. But every year, the FPF and Santos shove overrated SLB prospects down our throats despite the fact that these players aren't ready and have absolutely no business being called up.

Case in point: Felix and Sanches. Sanches is a bust, and yet, he gets called up for the games next week, despite the fact that he's hurt, over player who is significantly better than him (Pote). Sanches: 17 matches, 1 goal, 1 assist. Pote: 21 matches, 15 goals, 3 assists. Sanches is washed. No need to keep calling him up.

And why are we still calling up 40 year old Jose Fonte? Inacio displaced Luis Neto as a starter for SCP and get's no call-up.

20. eurodad

eurodad Member+

Mar 15, 2005
    Brampton
    I get what you are saying . I assure you that there are always call ups that I don’t personally care for either . Some Benfica and son not. I pull out my hair sometimes with the call ups .

21. SCP_16

SCP_16 Member+

Aug 8, 2004
    Bay Area
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    World class LB. Getting offers from Man City, Man U and Chelsea. The best Portuguese LB in decades. This guy is going to be a star.

22. prodigal_mind

prodigal_mind Member+

Cristiano Ronaldo
    Portugal
    Jul 3, 2018
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Hes way better than that pylon Raphael. If raphael starts he will cost us the euro. Cant be world class if you play in a fake league though

23. SCP_16

SCP_16 Member+

Aug 8, 2004
    Bay Area
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Tonel repped this.
  24. SCP_16

SCP_16 Member+

Aug 8, 2004