NUFC Introductions Thread

Discussion in 'Newcastle United' started by Toon³, Jul 15, 2005.

1. ottoman

ottoman Member

Nov 30, 1998
    San Antonio
    Club:
    San Antonio Scorpions FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Turkey
    Greetings all,

Before I tell my story I want to say that I have really enjoyed reading all the posts. More often than not I read something that is informative or provocative or just brings a smile to my face. I know at times I have been a bit too cynical in my comments. If I ever offend anyone I apologize. But I must confess this has been the most frustrating season since I really got hook on NUFC five seasons ago. My fanaticism occurred contemporaneously with the addition of Fox soccer channel (then Fox sports world) to the Time Warner cable offering.

I have been a fan of the Magpies for a long time. It was just hard to get excited about them when the only news that could be pickup on the team was through magazines and the occasional English tourist I would bump into.

My father was born in Turkey (which explains my allegiance to my other team Besiktas) so I was exposed to soccer very early in life. I grew up in South Florida and played club and high school soccer from the mid sixties to mid seventies. (Anyone trying figure out my age I am 48).

The cause of my conscription in the Toon Army can be described in two words “Peter Beardsley!” I first saw Beardsley while he played with the Vancouver Whitecaps in the early 80’s. What a talent! I followed him best I could when he moved to Newcastle and before you knew it I was a fan (or supporter).

Like I said my fanaticism has reached quite a fever since Fox Sports World and the internet became available, so much so my wife bought me a share of NUFC stock which I proudly displace on a wall of my law office. I am too old to play football anymore but I do coach youth soccer, Souey should be thankful some of my players’ parent are not NUFC fans. I join Bigsoccer in ’98 but rarely posted until Mayor Garza announced his plans to bring a team to San Antonio. Although that turn into a dismal failure I learned that Bigsoccer was an excellent tool for networking with other soccer fanatics an that experience facilitated my putting my two-cense in regarding the mishandling of transfers, or lack thereof, this football season.

Anyway that’s my story and I am sticking to it.

2. Toon³

Toon³ Member

Dec 27, 2002
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Firstly welcome to the family.

You need to be cynical to support the Toon. And if you think this is frustrating you should have tried following them during the 80's.

Your a lawyer. good to know, i've posted some material that could make me liable in the past.

Bigsoccer has alot more to offer. Have a look around the None Football Related sections as well as other teams forums. The Spurs supporters are an especially nice lot.

and as your MOD and resident geordie feel free to ask me about anything. :D

3. Zaphkiel

Zaphkiel Self-hating Asian

Mar 3, 2005
    ZOMG NONE!!!11
    Hey Toon Toon, I bought an 8th of skunk.

Wanna burn one real quick? =P

4. Dirt McGirt

Dirt McGirt Member+

Jun 20, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've got my Mexican vacation starting Friday and I need some help. I need to find a pub that shows EPL in Puerto Vallarta. I don't want to miss the Man u match. I'm also going to be there for the USA vs Mex match Sep 3.(I'm going to get my ass kicked :D )

Anybody been to PV or have any ideas?

Thanks in advance :)

5. Toon³

Toon³ Member

Dec 27, 2002
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    An 8th? I don't bother myself with such tiny amounts :D

6. Kujeaux

Kujeaux New Member

Oct 25, 2004
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [Copied from a post in another forum ... oops]

Hey guys,

This is my first [er, second] NUFC forum post. Last year, I watched a few EPL games but didn't get into it much. But this year, I'm full force, I've been watching some downloaded games and highlights. I'm new to EPL and new to keeping up with the Toon.

I still need to watch the Bolton game but from what you guys say, it sounds pretty bad.

I should be keeping a close eye on the team from here on out and hope to be a contributor in the forums.

-Erik

7. Dirt McGirt

Dirt McGirt Member+

Jun 20, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Welcome :D
    Looking forward to your contributions.

I hope you know what your getting yourself into. :p

8. Kujeaux

Kujeaux New Member

Oct 25, 2004
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    :eek: :)

hopefully not relegation :rolleyes:

9. Zaphkiel

Mar 3, 2005
    ZOMG NONE!!!11
    Fine toon toon.

Go and smoke your tobacco laden spliffs you british bastard! =P

10. ToonRudie

ToonRudie Member

Sep 13, 2004
    I'll get finally get in on this thread...

I grew up playing baseball and hockey and thought football/soccer was "chase the ball, kick the ball, chase the ball" until about 6 years ago. When I met my wife, she and her friends introduced me to the game, and I started playing on an outdoor team. I was hooked. I quickly learned how much skill, ability and creativity (none of which I posess) is necessary to play, and how good professionals really are (or can be). Shortly after I started playing, a teammate told me about the EPL. I started catching the highlight program on FSN, saw Newcastle, and it was over. I've tried to convince myself on several occasions that I'm not a NUFC supporter, but it's no good. I will forever have the unconditional love for the club (not to include the board).

11. metabelian

metabelian New Member

May 14, 2005
    san diego
    I'm also a little late to this post, but here goes...

I grew up in San Diego, playing football through AYSO. I was a good but not great defender for eight years, up through middle school. At the time I didn't follow professional football much, and through high school I watched MLS and Mexican league games sporadically. A bit before the 2002 WC I became interested in international leagues. Watching EPL games, the thing that stood out for me about Newcastle was their sponsor at the time (NBA) and their cool kits. After watching a few of their matches I was rooting for Newcastle; I was now a fan. Up until last season I only watched a few matches a season, while last year thanks to FSC and the internet I caught almost all of our matches and am more of a true fan.

12. OrlandoSPUR

OrlandoSPUR **** the Nomads

Apr 8, 2005
    Orlando, FL
    ..I used too be like that, I saw the light so never again :D

13. Toon³

Toon³ Member

Dec 27, 2002
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    How dare you! I'm half dutch half prussian! I just live and was born here :D

14. Zaphkiel

Mar 3, 2005
    ZOMG NONE!!!11
    ...ooooh...so you smoke soapbar then?

pity. =P

15. ISiddiqui

ISiddiqui Member

Feb 18, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Just really noticed this thread as well.

I was interested in soccer from being a wee lad in New Jersey, playing soccer for 10 years on club teams. Back then there was no FSC or GolTV so while I knew about the EPL, I wasn't really up on it. I have cousins who live in the UK (Benfleet, Essex) and my cousin told me he was a fan of Newcastle (but wasn't that much into football). I also knew (one of the few things I knew about the EPL) that Alan Shearer played for Newcastle. I loved watching him play in international matches whenever they were on. He was the penultimate clinical finisher.

We started getting FSC and GolTV in Atlanta a few years back and I came to the decision that I wanted to start following the English game and then the European game after that. So last year was the first year I started to get interesting in the EPL. I read a bunch on it and watched matches on EPL and became a BIIIG NUFC fan, remembering how I picked my squad in the past.

So there it is.

Oh, and bring Mel B back, you bastard mods!

16. Toon³

Toon³ Member

Dec 27, 2002
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    [​IMG]

17. Toon³

Toon³ Member

Dec 27, 2002
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    [​IMG]

18. Zaphkiel

Mar 3, 2005
    ZOMG NONE!!!11
    lol, this is some great stuff.

but meh, I'll come to amsterdam one of tehse days and we must hang out. lol.

19. tino11

tino11 New Member

Dec 15, 2004
    Karlsruhe - Germany

Yeah, good point, now we have a proper Toon mod, he can help instigate the return of the legendary Mel B.

What do you think Toon Toon, he sure knows how to speed up a slow day's posting.

Me-el, Me-el, Me-el :)

20. Toon³

Toon³ Member

Dec 27, 2002
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    I don't know why he was banned?

And how many people actually do want him back? It would make my job alot more interesting. :D

21. Zaphkiel

Mar 3, 2005
    ZOMG NONE!!!11
    I do. lol.

22. ISiddiqui

ISiddiqui Member

Feb 18, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    BRING HIM BACK!! BRING HIM BACK!!

He's a BigSoccer legend ;).

23. rokstedy

rokstedy Member+

I love commieball
    Apr 20, 2001
    Northwest Orange County
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You could bring him back, but do you suppose he might be banned again? He did add spice to this forum but probably just too much.

24. Toon³

Toon³ Member

Dec 27, 2002
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    But why was he banned in the first place?

25. tino11

tino11 New Member

Dec 15, 2004
    Karlsruhe - Germany
    You are the Mod, surely you can find out, I never got a straight answer out of l'arse (Rick B) to be honest.

BRING BACK MEL B !!!!!!