NUFC Introductions Thread

Discussion in 'Newcastle United' started by Toon³, Jul 15, 2005.

1. Toon³

Toon³ Member

Dec 27, 2002
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    I have noticed that lots of other clubs have introduction threads so why can't we have one..

Feel free to tell us about how you got into football and NUFC in general.

I think i'm the only regular poster who lives in Newcastle so feel free to ask me any questions about the club or city. :D

ENJOY!

p.s can a moderator please make this a sticky

2. NUFCBayern

NUFCBayern Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 9, 2004
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    I'm relatively new to football in general...I didn't really get into it until 2002 during the World Cup. Oliver Kahn was the man, and I used to live in Germany, so I decided to follow his team...Bayern. Fast-forward 2 years, Bayern manager Ottmar Hitzfeld leaves...I really admired him, so this saddened me. Then he was rumoured to be the new Newcastle manager. I had been following the EPL but hadn't really a specific team. So I looked into Newcastle, their players, their history, etc. They seemed like a class club, so I decided to follow them. And I've done so ever since (basically since the start of last season, so I'm pretty much a newbie). I think if I can live through the Souness/Bellamy/Dyer/Bowyer debacle(s) and still be a fan, it must mean something. Maybe it means I'm a moron, I don't know. I don't plan on taking off the Newcastle United crest decal on my car anytime soon, however.

I've spent a lot of time in Europe, but never been to England. I desperately want to visit Newcastle though...I've seen pictures, it looks beautiful. London can come afterwards maybe.

3. picaraza

picaraza New Member

Jul 27, 2003
    California
    Hey,

Native Californian who has lived in the Bay Area all of my life.

Became a soccer fan when I was in Italy in the summer of 1990. When I went there I had no idea that the World Cup was going on. None. I have relatives outside of Turin and so that is where I stayed a couple of weeks. There were soemthing like 40,000 Brazilians in Turin to watch the Cup, and so between the Italian fans and the Brazilan fans I was converted.

Followed the game intermittently over the next few years-- whenever there was a World Cup, European Championship, or US Nat game. Also MLS: San Jose.

Became a NUFC fan when I started following English football. I picked them because they played attacking football, were fun to watch, and because Sir Bobby Robson (from Italy 1990) and Alan Shearer were two of the few names I really knew. So, obviously, my history with the club doesn't go that far back.

Married. Have a son (that's him in the picture). We plan to move to Denmark within the next five years. No, I don't speak Danish. Some Italian and less Spanish.

Oh, I'm a technical writer by profession-- software manuals and the like. (And that's why I insist on using bullet points in so many of my posts. It's a sad habit.)

4. Toon³

Toon³ Member

Dec 27, 2002
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Hallo All,

I'm an acutal geordie, born north of the river and lived here all of my life.

Not much of a story as to how i got into football..being the son of a shipyard worker who's supported them since the 50's who else was I going to follow?
    I'm a season ticket holder in the Milburn Stand but i also go to Carlise, Hartlepool and Darlington when Newcastle play away or it's an international weekend.

I try to go to as many away and european games as possible but sometimes it's just to expensive.

I'm a student but I also work for BP as part of my course.

5. tigerdave

tigerdave Member

Aug 23, 2004
    Buhl, Idaho
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've been a football fan since I was 5, mostly with the U.S. indoor leagues and soon-after MLS, (I wasn't around for the NASL) being relatively young and States-born and bred. It was mostly off-and-on until I could actually get serious about it, watching games all the time and whatnot, which didn't come until a few years ago (I'm 'only' 23 now.)

My fan-dom for NUFC came in a round-about fashion, started with supporting the Welsh national team because my wife likes the country, which translated to following Craig Bellamy and in turn supporting Newcastle. Of course, the affinity for Bellers went down the tubes with everything done over the past season, but the side grew on me nonetheless, and they became my squad of choice despite it all.

I've never been to a match in Europe, and I happen to be going there over an international weekend, which bites, but perhaps I'll find a game somewhere going on. That's my story.

6. mdfc

mdfc Member

Jul 12, 2004
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I too had been looking for an EPL team to follow. 2 years ago my wife and I were heading to Italy for a week. I found out Newcastle was playing Inter at San Siro on a Tuesday night, so we went up to Milan from Rome [without our lost suitcases, thanks Delta.] Went to the match, and was blown away by the 15,000 toon supporters before the game, during the game and after the game. Met some cool Geordies around the hotel and on the train back south, and have been following the toon ever since.

7. Dirt McGirt

Dirt McGirt Member+

Jun 20, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Great thread Toon Toon you beat me to the punch. Repped

I played rugby(badly) during my time in the army over in Germany. Once we played a Brit army team that beat us up pretty good, but afterwards we all went out together and get drunk. Their were some Geordies in the group and by the end of the night they were singing Newcastles songs and they had the whole bar going even the Germans. I had so much fun that night and I never forgot about Newcastle. I tried to follow the team as close as possible, but I really didn't get into the club until I got on the net in 96/97.

I'm married with a 6month ol baby boy. I currently manage a nightclub in Seattle. So if you guys ever come out this way PM me and I will put you on the list. I play soccer in an over 30 mens league and I think I might be a bit of a hack but I have fun anyways....Well thats my story and I'm sticking to it ;)
    Edit.
    You must spread some rep around before giving it to Toon Toon again ;)

8. Toon³

Toon³ Member

Dec 27, 2002
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Just you remember it!

9. Zaphkiel

Zaphkiel Self-hating Asian

Mar 3, 2005
    ZOMG NONE!!!11
    I just remembered something. I hate football. =P

10. roxbury

roxbury Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    Thanks for Thread , Toon_toon.

I've been a football fan since I was 6.

from that age, day by day, etc,, watching games all the time :)

when i first impresion of NUFC : -> Supporters,Stadium, 'Bobby Robson and Alan Shearer' the point of my likes start for NUFC. :cool:

and ofcourse 'piccolo grande maradona' now become player of Toon aswell :) i am more happy about it.

the player that i like :
    Alan Shearer
    piccolo grande maradona
    Zidane,
    Yildiray Basturk
    Ballack,
    former player Hagi,DiegoMaradona,

etc.
    Thats all for now. :D

11. realmadrid1086

Newcastle United
    United States
    Apr 29, 2002
    Alabama
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I started playing soccer when I was about six. When I was 14 (early 2001), I started randomly watching an MLS game. Since then, I've been hooked. Soon after that, I started following the US National Team, and I then started watching the Champion's League games. After the 2002 World Cup, I finally got Fox Soccer Channel (Fox Sports World back then), and I began watching the Premiership. My first Newcastle game was the 4-0 win over West Ham on opening day. I believe Lua Lua (2), Shearer, and Nobby Solano were all on the scoresheet. I've been addicted ever since then.

Anyway, about me. I'm an 18 year old college student. I was born in West Palm Beach, Florida, but I currently reside in Newnan, Georgia (just outside of Hotlanta). I attend the University of Georgia in Athens, Georgia. I plan on majoring in Journalism. I am planning on making the pilgrimage over to St. James' Park sometime this season, provided that I have sufficient funds after all college expenses are paid. Anyway, that's about it, I guess.

12. Toon³

Toon³ Member

Dec 27, 2002
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    If you are going to come to St James then just say and i can get you a ticket..you are a fellow geordie so you are more than welcome to stay at mine if a coutch is good enough for you ;)

13. NUFCBayern

NUFCBayern Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 9, 2004
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    What an offer!

I need a job. Although it would be hard to save up for a plane ticket, what with the distractions of buying new Newcastle shirts, paying rent, buying food, etc. One of these days though...I'll head to St. James' and it will be glorious.

14. Toon³

Toon³ Member

Dec 27, 2002
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    For we shall drink ale, eat stotties and be merry!

15. rokstedy

rokstedy Member+

I love commieball
    Apr 20, 2001
    Northwest Orange County
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Started following soccer when the World Cup came here in 1994. Started to follow the Toon some time before Kenny Dalgish got sacked and went through that folly known as "sexy football". I thought SBR could make us contenders year in and year out, but I guess not. Was disappointed to see Nobby go s he was a favorite player of mine. And like a lot of Stateside fans, one day I will make it to St. James.

16. geordienation

geordienation Moderator

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nice thread, Toon_toon

Played as a youth, but like a lot of others here in the US, I had a lot of other sports/activities/hobbies. When I went to high school I stayed with basketball. Really became a fan again during the 94 World Cup. When I moved to California for a job in 96, I became good friends with a lot of people who followed the EPL. And you could get it on satellite at that time where I worked.

The Asprilla hat trick against Barcelona made me a fan, but really it was Shearer that turned me into a hardcore Toon supporter. I don't think I've ever seen a better, more classic forward. His game just amazes me.

My wife and I are travelling over in a couple of months for the first time. The first thing we're doing? Pilgrimage to St. James. I'll have my Shearer jersey on for the Man City game.

St. James, full on a Saturday, singing for the lads. If the captain scores, I just don't think I know what I'd do.

Howay the lads.

17. Ramzi

Ramzi New Member

Jun 7, 2005
    Newcastle
    Pretty boring story for me, born in Newcastle, lived hear all my life. How could I support anyone else? I'm currently a student and next summer will be joining the RAF.

18. manowarfan1

manowarfan1 New Member

Jul 30, 2004
    Colorado, USA
    Hi all - I'm Jeff, from Colorado, USA. I started falling NUFC on accident. Was worn out after working a midnight shift but unable to sleep and rather than watch some daytime soap opera crap I saw that there was a football match on cable (didnt realize it was PPV at the time). It was the FA Cup and Newcastle was one of the teams. I took an immidiate liking to the uniforms, and when I saw it was sponsored by Newcastle Brown Ale - I was hooked. A few years later I discovered the WiLDHEARTS (awesome band from up that way), ended up travelling to the UK (footie season was on but I couldnt attend any games). I did make a trip up to Newcastle and got to go into St James in a downpour (they took pity on the poor travelling yank and let him in to look around). Next time - there will be a packed house full of supporters and I'll get to see what the Toon Army is like for real :)

19. Toon³

Toon³ Member

Dec 27, 2002
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Just go nuts like everyone else will..Any idea where you will be sitting?

Don't forget to have a pint in the Strawberry

[​IMG]

20. Glebe Mag

Glebe Mag New Member

Feb 11, 2005
    Washington, England
    Like the other locals I have been a fan all my life. My dad took me to my first game in the early 80s. We won 1-0 against the mighty Luton Town. All I can remember of the game is Chris Waddle beating defenders with his famous shoulder shuffle and seeing the Newcastle fans surging forward in the corner of the Gallowgate End (I was safely seated in the old West Stand). I did not start going regularly until, as a 12 year old, my mam allowed me to go with my friends. Unfortunately, the first game we went together ended goaless (Derby's Peter Shilton apparently pulled off a point blank save from a Newcastle player. Not that I saw any of it as I was standing in the middle of a surge in said Gallowgate End) and my two friends decided not to return the next game at home to Portsmouth (which I attended alone and ended 1-1). Friendless (sigh ;) ) I continued to attend as many home games as I could. Sadly, my endeavours were rewarded with relegation the next season. The next few seasons of absolute dross basically molded my eternal pessimism. Even the season where we 'threw away a 12 point lead' I knew we would not win it. Fortunately, such cynicism means that when we do pull off a result it gives me such an indescribable high that I will be forever addicted.

I would have laughed in your face if, when I was a teenager, you told me we would be drawing crowds of over 50,000 for every home game. I remember being impressed when our attendances were over 23,000! If St James Park were big enough and ticket prices were not extortionate I honestly believe we would draw in crowds of 70,000.

Successful we may have not have always been, but large, we always have been and always will be.

21. tino11

tino11 New Member

Dec 15, 2004
    Karlsruhe - Germany
    I was born in Glasgow, but had always supported Aberdeen (possibly a bit of the glory hunter in there, European Cup and all that). Moved to Newcastle at the back end of 1986 at the age of 11 and began to support the Toon.

My first game was Kenny Wharton's Testimonial against Sheffield Wednesday on the 26/12/1988 where ther was 21,000 fans and we won 2-1. These were in the old troubled days of a dodgy board and waining support, but 21k for a defenders testimonial was something else.

Since I have seen some things at St. James', 4-3's against Liverpool, great European nights, a hammering of Inter Milan not so long ago, but even then, there is not many clubs in England where the entire crowd would stay behind after losing 4-1 and clap the other team for a full five minutes after they left the pitch. (this is the only time I have seen Emre play, and hopefully I will see him soon when I go HOME).

We may not have won much in the last 30 years, but there are big reasons to be proud of our club.

Oh, and I hate mackems.

22. Bodmanza

Bodmanza New Member

Jun 8, 2005
    Edmonton, Canada
    Well, I am a relative soccer newbie from Canada who doesn't get much choice of who to watch on TV here, so really its more about finding entertaining games than watching NUtd. That being said, Shearer, from what I have seen, has always captivated me, and back when him and Kluivert were together was a good run. I wouldn't call NUtd a minnow, but they are no ManUre or Chelski these days, and I like that. It is the same feeling as my home town hockey team and I guess thats why I can relate to them.
    :)

23. NUFCBayern

NUFCBayern Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 9, 2004
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Newcastle is still one of the biggest clubs in the world, however.

24. Toon³

Toon³ Member

Dec 27, 2002
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    They will always have more support that Chelesa....They couldn't fill their stadium when they finished 4th, will filled ours when we finished 14th

25. Bodmanza

Bodmanza New Member

Jun 8, 2005
    Edmonton, Canada
    Fan base yes they are a giant. However, they don't have the free spending power of ManU or Chelski, thats what I meant in my roundabout way :eek: