NUFC in the news (general thread)

Discussion in 'Newcastle United' started by tigerdave, Sep 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MagpieFan

MagpieFan Member+

Apr 25, 2004
    Back in DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And that would be different from our usual early season injury report WITH those guys?

2. Dirt McGirt

Dirt McGirt Member+

Jun 20, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The injury list this season has been the smallest in recent memory. So yes I think the sports science team the BSA had put together has been a vast improvement over the previous program in place (or lack thereof).

3. Russell1892

Russell1892 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 7, 2007
    Newcastle
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Bobby Robson has given an interview to the Newcastle Evening Chronicle to mark his 75th Birthday on Monday... in it he talks about how he turned the club around, how the current United side lacks pace (yup Allardyce signed slow battlers) and how much it hurt to see his side broken up.

Aye not just for you Sir Bob. Just a reminder of how all of our current problems stem from when Fat Freddie forced him out.

Link:http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/nufc...-of-what-i-achieved-at-united-72703-20480954/

Edit: oh yeah - he also said this about the return of KK:http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/nufc/newcastle-united-news/2008/02/15/kevin-was-so-brave-to-return-72703-20480955/

4. JaredSS07

JaredSS07 Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 6, 2005
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  5. JayRockers!

JayRockers! Member+

Aug 4, 2001
    Remember, Sir Bob wasn't entirely innocent in his own departure. The Bowyer off the UEFA Cup roster issue, the Lua Lua being allowed to play against us for Pompey issue. He was making too many mental mistakes, and as it turns out, his health wasn't the best.

Sure it hurt to see the side broken up. But he didn't do anything proactive. He didn't plan for the retirement of Shearer. He didn't adequately replace Speed and Solano. He did as much as anyone to facilitate the breakup of that team. And he had to know he had only 1-2 years left when he got the sack anyway. What did he do to assure we had a line of succession in place at the club. I'll bet that if SAF or Arsene left their clubs today, there already is something in place regarding the next manager. Even Grant was already at Chelsea when Mourinho got the boot.

Thx,

Jay!

6. Russell1892

Russell1892 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 7, 2007
    Newcastle
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I know -but the Bowyer off the UEFA cup roster was an administrative issue - and the handling of loan terms and conditions is handled by the chief exec. - Bobby just gave the okay. I'm not doubting that Bobby had only a year left and that he made mistakes - but the way it was handled was terrible.

Internally there was a lot going on at the club - Shearer was p*ssed off with what he saw as a lack of professionalism (there were rumours of Craig Bellamy openly giving Bobby Robson the V sign at training everytime his back was turned) - so Shepherd in his wisdom decided that he needed a disciplinarian (which apparently means falling out with everyone and selling them).

The club planned to replace Shearer after he retired (how do you do that anyway?) They thought they were doing that when they signed Owen.

But granted selling Solano and Speed were mistakes - but I guess he thought Milner and Butt would be their replacements (which I can understand the reasoning). The selling of Solano was down to the "Not playing for Peru" Contract he signed (and Bobby was old school in terms of honouring your agreements). Speed was getting on - funny that a 70 year old manager was being ageist.

I don't think it was his job to ensure their was a line of succession (its Freddie's fault for not having a good replacement lined up), I doubt Man Utd and Arsenal have internal plans for when their managers retire/leave... hopefully they'll go through the same stuff we went through haha... if you remember all Man Utd's No.2's have been pretty crap managers (Brian Kidd, Steve McLaren, Carlos Queiroz). Grant was already at Chelsea because Abramovich wanted rid of Mourinho. (And I think we can judge him next season after he makes the team his own - remember Dalglish finished 2nd with Keegan's team.) Most clubs recruit from outside BEFORE they sack their manager - see Tottenham, and Liverpool sounding out Klinsmann.

7. YankBastard

YankBastard Na Na Na Na NANANANAAA!

Jun 18, 2005
    Estados Unidos
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good news to NUFC supporters who are also Galaxy supporters. Just when you were sad to see Celestine Babayaro go, now you still get to cheer for him with David Beckham and the Galaxy! [​IMG]

8. ToonUSA

ToonUSA New Member

Jan 11, 2005
    Are you often late to parties?

9. Shameus

Shameus Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Middle of a Migraine
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Edgar wants a chance at first team action or to go out on loan.

And contrary to everything else I have read, Ashley wants out? Not really believing this one though.

Newcastle owner Mike Ashley has tried to sell the St James' Park club to Dubai Investment Capital, the investment arm of the Dubai government, for £300m. (The Sun, Daily Telegraph)

10. JaredSS07

JaredSS07 Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 6, 2005
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Number 1: You are Canadian. Be thankful that you aren't playing hockey or curling.
    Number 2: You are 20. Shut up and play in the reserves.
    Number 3: Don't worry, we all still think you are ********ing mint!

11. Chupacabra

Chupacabra Member+

Aug 2, 2004
    Westwood, NJ
    [​IMG]

12. YankBastard

YankBastard Na Na Na Na NANANANAAA!

Jun 18, 2005
    Estados Unidos
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fashionably late. [​IMG]

13. JayRockers!

JayRockers! Member+

Aug 4, 2001
    I can't see how this news is any good.

Hughton poised for Newcastle role. He was the coach of a team that was horribly out of shape. We just lost our fitness department. I guess it really has to get worse before it will get better.

Thx,

Jay!

14. tigerdave

tigerdave Member

Aug 23, 2004
    Buhl, Idaho
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Or he might not be good enough for MLS. :D

15. JaredSS07

JaredSS07 Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 6, 2005
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just proves we were all correct about him being shit and not good enough for us.

16. KaptPowers

KaptPowers Member

Dec 29, 2003
    Arlington, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A pity, I was looking forward to heckling him when LA came to Foxboro.

17. JaredSS07

JaredSS07 Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 6, 2005
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Finally figured out what Smith is good for... being really, really, ridiculously good looking. At least we know he can turn left.

Link

18. mplsTOON

mplsTOON Member

Apr 25, 2006
    @ St James Park
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Reminds me of the fashion show scene in the beginning of "Slap Shot" where The Charlestown Cheifs do a fashion show for charity/PR.

But he NUFC version goes like this:

[at the NUFC Fashion Show]
    Alan Smith: I'm gonna flash' em, Mort!
    Chris Mort: No, you're not.
    Alan Smith: I'm gonna walk down that stinkin' runway, open up this f*kcing robe and wiggle my dick at 'em! And do you know why? Because I want you to have a heart-attack and die so we don't have to do this shit again! You and your f*kcing fashion shows!

its pretty amazing how many parallels one can draw betweeen the Charlestown Cheifs and the Toon.

for example:

[later in the hotel Charles N'zogbia is on the phone with his agent]
    Zoggs: Bernard? Yeah, I want to echanger.
    --Bernard, call Arsenal, tell them bullsheet.
    --Yeah. Oui, someting'.
    --Wait. Barton, what's echanger in English?
    Joey Barton: Trade me right f*kcing now.
    Zoggs: Trade me right f*kcing now!
    Joey Barton: Now hang up.

[In the locker room before the S*nderland derby]
    Kevin Keegan: What are you guys doing?
    Alan Smith: Puttin' on the foil!
    Joey Barton: Every game!
    Alan Smith: Yeah, you want some?

19. JaredSS07

JaredSS07 Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 6, 2005
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do you want to write some parallels between us and the Indians in Major League?

20. jairadballerina

jairadballerina Member+

Sep 15, 2004
    C-Town
    There's a thread in the Crew forum by a poster named "Sirk" that does just that.

21. JayRockers!

JayRockers! Member+

Aug 4, 2001
    I call bullshit on this one. Those soft nancy-boys playing in our Black-and-Whites couldn't hold a candle to the Hansen Brothers. Smith and Barton haven't got the sack to mix it up with good players or good teams. I fear Michael Brown and that hack with the haircut in the Arsenal back line more than Mandy and The ASBO Kid. Barton only does it when no one is looking, for Chrissakes.

Thx,

Jay!

22. mplsTOON

mplsTOON Member

Apr 25, 2006
    @ St James Park
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    If and when we start winning I could...

but in the meantime:

Chris Mort: How would you like to manage the Toon this year?
    Kevin Keegan: Gee, I don't know...
    Chris Mort: What do you mean, you don't know? This is your chance to manage in THE big league.
    Kevin Keegan: Let me get back to you, will ya, Chris? I got a guy on the other line asking about reservations for a party of 5 at my Circus...

23. colinh9

colinh9 New Member

Apr 26, 2003
    NY
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Oh my god, Celestine getting cut from the MLS is probably the funniest thing I've ever heard in my life. Although I was really looking forward to heckling him as well. I'm seriously dying of amusement right now.

24. Dirt McGirt

Dirt McGirt Member+

Jun 20, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    McDermott reveals plans for Ronaldinho-type signings at Newcastle

Where to begin with this piece of insightful brilliance?? Can we even beat Colchester or Gillingham let alone take players from them. We better not go down because we may stay down for a few years with this group of deranged and delusional lunatics running the club. Steven Gerrard lol try Steven Sidwell ********ing morons!