NUFC in the news (general thread)

Discussion in 'Newcastle United' started by tigerdave, Sep 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JaredSS07

JaredSS07 Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 6, 2005
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Owen will have no reason to be fit now. I wonder if he will just retire?

2. Zaphkiel

Zaphkiel Self-hating Asian

Mar 3, 2005
    ZOMG NONE!!!11
    that busker song "home newcastle" I have. its one of my favorites..

3. JaredSS07

JaredSS07 Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 6, 2005
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Butt agrees new Magpies contract

I agree he is a good example and can probably teach and mentor players, but his performance has been crap so far.

4. tigerdave

tigerdave Member

Aug 23, 2004
    Buhl, Idaho
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't really know where else to put this, as it's not exactly tied to the manager thread even though it's Souness saying it, but he had some very strong points to air on Sky Sports today.

5. tigerdave

tigerdave Member

Aug 23, 2004
    Buhl, Idaho
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Guess where? :D :D

6. JayRockers!

JayRockers! Member+

Aug 4, 2001
    Now I'll personally be able to shit all over his play when he comes to DC.

And how exactly does he fit under MLS' salary cap? Bex, Landy and Ruiz are at 1.5 million or so, leaving just 1.3 or so for the other 20+ players. He must be on one of those "developmental" contracts for players learning their trade.

Thx,

Jay!

7. tigerdave

tigerdave Member

Aug 23, 2004
    Buhl, Idaho
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    DISCLAIMER: The following is entirely fictitious until the point where it becomes clairvoyance.

I'll save everyone the trouble and publish all the pertinent news between now and the end of the season.

Feb. 4 - Obafemi Martins celebrates a new four-year, 26-million-pound contract with Newcastle United by opening the scoring in Nigeria's African Cup of Nations quarterfinal with Ghana. He then does his patented roundoff-backflip celebration, but shorts the landing and blows out his right ankle, causing him to miss the rest of the season.

Feb. 22 - In the pre-match interview, Kevin Keegan -- whose Newcastle club have have secured just two draws and one goal in his five matches in charge -- boldly proclaims that he would "love it" if they beat Manchester United the following day at St. James' Park both to right the wrong that was 1995-96 as well as overturn the 6-0 thrashing just before his re-appointment. Rooney and Ronaldo both pull adductor muscles from laughing so hard at this and are unable to play, but Carlos Tevez is and scores in the 88th minute to give United a 1-0 win.

Mar. 17-Apr. 5 - Newcastle hump Tottenham in traditional 3-1 fashion to create a sense of hope on Tyneside that the worst is finally over. Of course, everyone conveniently forgets that the club just got done taking two points out of nine against Fulham, Birmingham and Reading and that Newcastle have slipped all the way to 16th in the table with just Sunderland as buffer between the Magpies and the drop zone. During this stretch, Steve Harper gets a run-out and tears his groin, causing him to miss the rest of the season.

Apr. 19 - Keegan, needing a change, drops Shay Given in favor of young Fraser Forster for the Tyne-Wear derby match. Given blows a gasket, and Forster has a very late howler that allows Michael Chopra to score in the 90th to give the hated ones a 2-1 win at SJP. Keegan subsequently resigns but at least makes it out of the toilet this time. Instead he hides himself in the locker of Joey Barton, who was arrested the night before for starting a fight in an empty pub Dennis Wise style, to make the announcement. Keegan is replaced by the aforementioned Dennis Wise.

May 3 - Wise and Co. lose so badly to Wise's former club Chelsea that it appears the club are in a Harchester-United-esque run of form to try and get relegated. Ironically, a Titus Bramble own-goal in Wigan's penultimate game against Aston Villa ensures Newcastle's safety and consigns the Latics to joining Derby and Fulham in the Championship next season. Wise resigns after just three matches in charge, and Alan Shearer is called in to save the day.

May 11 - Everton beat Newcastle 6-1 in the season finale, capping a miserable and melodramatic season on Tyneside with another embarrassing loss. Nicky Butt scores two own-goals and the only goal for Newcastle comes when Phil Neville, thinking that they were playing -Manchester- United, puts through his own net. Shearer, however, takes the opportunity to taunt Roy Keane by saying that at least the Magpies didn't concede seven.

And the cycle begins anew.

8. mplsTOON

mplsTOON Member

Apr 25, 2006
    @ St James Park
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    thats not funny, because it may be true....

9. colinh9

colinh9 New Member

Apr 26, 2003
    NY
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    You have got to be kidding me. Babyaro should be a decent MLS player though. That's where he belongs.

10. Dirt McGirt

Dirt McGirt Member+

Jun 20, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's at Ivey right now having a good laugh and a smoke thinking about the Toon. He'll suck in MLS though you watch.

11. colinh9

colinh9 New Member

Apr 26, 2003
    NY
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Actually the more I think about it, the more I just see him as an awful player no matter where he is.

12. MLisinPA

MLisinPA Member

Sep 16, 2007
    Mechanicsburg, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  13. tigerdave

tigerdave Member

Aug 23, 2004
    Buhl, Idaho
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Or not. :mad:

Just what we need now is Owen looking at England rather than trying to help us out of the mess we're in.

14. tigerdave

tigerdave Member

Aug 23, 2004
    Buhl, Idaho
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Former NUFC assistant John Carver has taken over the Toronto FC hotseat.

Former NUFC backup keeper Tony Caig has transferred from Gretna to my #2 football club.

15. Shameus

Shameus Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Middle of a Migraine
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dennis Wise is to offer former Chelsea team-mate Gianfranco Zola a job as part of Newcastle's scouting team. (The People)

I think this would be a fantastic bit of business for the club if Wise can pull this off.

16. tigerdave

tigerdave Member

Aug 23, 2004
    Buhl, Idaho
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In the "you'd be blind not to see this coming" department, Ghana beat Nigeria 2-1 today. Which means instead of having four underachieving strikers available for selection, we'll soon have five underachieving strikers available for selection.

17. colinh9

colinh9 New Member

Apr 26, 2003
    NY
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    I'd much rather have Martins up top at this point than any of the other 4 strikers. Sadly, I think KK will continue to start Viduka/Owen.

18. HoosierToon

HoosierToon New Member

Jan 11, 2008
    Hoboken
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I see nothing wrong with having Owen in there...he has been a very streaky player since his arrival, and I look for a big outburst of goals over the next few weeks.

19. THOMA GOL

THOMA GOL BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 16, 1999
    Frontier
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So it's 0230 in the morning , I'm watching SkySports news and they mentioned that Shearer is to work in some training capacity at the club?

20. tigerdave

tigerdave Member

Aug 23, 2004
    Buhl, Idaho
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With Pearson quitting, KK will need all the help he can get. We're ********ed tactically unless he gets someone good in to replace Nigel.

21. JayRockers!

JayRockers! Member+

Aug 4, 2001
    This is big. He became "disillusioned" with the KK regime (probably more KK than the rest of the 6 headed monster). This season keeps getting suckier.

Thx,

Jay!

22. Dirt McGirt

Dirt McGirt Member+

Jun 20, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hiring KK was a massive mistake.

23. JayRockers!

JayRockers! Member+

Aug 4, 2001
    I hope there's some sort of 6 month buyout clause that will allow KK/The Club to option out after the season. Hopefully he keeps us up. Then everyone can save face when he walks away in May.

Thx,

Jay!

24. Dirt McGirt

Dirt McGirt Member+

Jun 20, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not surprised really.Slow clap for Nigel Pearson as he walks off into the sunset or to a club that has a clue.

25. Dirt McGirt

Dirt McGirt Member+

Jun 20, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wonder if we can expect to see a rash of hamstring injuries early next season?