NSR-Depor and You/Getting to know each other

Discussion in 'Galicia' started by Catfish, Jul 22, 2005.

1. Catfish

Catfish Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    How or why did you start supporting Depor?
    Who is your all time favorite Depor player? Why?
    Why not another La Liga club?
    Have you ever been to the Reizor?
    How many Depor kits do you own? Which ones?
    What other clubs do you like or support and why?

Mods,
    Please sticky this.
    Thanks.

2. DSC05

DSC05 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Detroit, MI
    Club:
    --other--
    First of all, aren't you a Barca supporter? Why are you being so nosey :p?

I'm a newbie Depor supporter and a bit of a glory hunter ;). I started supporting Depor in 2002/2003 season. Mainly because of Roy Makaay and what I saw of them on the Champions League. But when they played against Manchester United in the Champions League they sold me. The crowd at la Riazor was great, even though Depor had no real shot at making past the next round and it was United's "B" team they played hard and the crowd was passionate.

In the few years I've been supporting them it's still Makaay. What a great goal scorer he was. I missed the "SuperDepor" era with Mauro Silva, Fran, Donato, etc. However, Luque is my favorite player right now.

I often ask myself that :p. But seriously, the crowd at la Riazor drew me in, a great non-official website in English. And the fact there weren't a lot of other Depor supporters on these boards. We are a small community, but it's a nice one. And of course the style of the foootball. When they were on the 4-2-3-1 worked to perfection as proved against Milan in the Champions League a few year ago.

It's actually the "Riazor". And no, but I know a few of the other posters have. I hope to make it someday.
    Sadly "0". I don't really buy football kits, I have another hobby that takes up a lot of my money. Although I would like to buy one, but they are expensive to get shipped over here. Maybe if the BigSoccer Shop sold them.......But Ekipos is a good place to buy one if you are interested.
    Feyenoord (the Netherlands). I just like them. Feyenoord and Depor are my "1a" and "1b" clubs. Which one's which? That's a secret. I also support the US National Team, another National Team that will remain a secret too ;). I kind of like KRC Genk (Belgium) and I watch the MLS, but don't have a favorite club.

3. DNA

DNA Member

Jul 4, 2004
    Los Angeles
    How or why did you start supporting Depor? After reading about them and their history in article I was intrigued to see them play. After watching them play I saw that they played with a lot of heart and I really admired them.

Who is your all time favorite Depor player? Why? Fran was great and he shall be missed. Currently though, Valeron.

Why not another La Liga club? I have a soft spot for Barcelona seeing as Rafa Marquez plays with them but I love Depor more than any other team in La Liga.

Have you ever been to the Riazor? Yes I have, 2003, it was during the winter break though :(

How many Depor kits do you own? Which ones? 2003-2004 kit, straight from A Coruna, sadly, that's it.

What other clubs do you like or support and why? UNAM Pumas from Mexico, they have been my team for a long time. I support them because I grew up watching them play. I also support the Mexican National Team, becuase I'm Mexican :cool:

4. depor15

depor15 Member

Jun 28, 1999
    I have been a Depor fan for a longtime. My father is from Galicia i guess that is why i support Depor.

I have six shirts I also have tshirts, hats, sweatshirts and I picked up the depor toffs shirt

I support the Metros and the US and Spanish national teams

5. RandyNA74

RandyNA74 Member

Jun 9, 2004
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I guess I can think of myself as a relatively "veteran" Depor fan. I started liking the club in the early 90's, back before there were any games on TV (at least mine) and short wave radio was all I had. I would follow Liga games on Radio Exterior de Espana every week, and remember when Depor was a newly promoted side which only survived relegation by winning a playoff against Betis (I believe, might have been someone else). The next year, Depor finished second in the Liga...and by then I was hooked on the club with the funny name. By the mid-90's, the term "SuperDepor" had been coined and gave me great pride as a fan of the club.

Another reason for supporting them is my long-standing fascination with the region of Galicia.

Favorite player? Don't really have one.

I do like a lot of other Liga clubs, but somehow Depor draws the greatest sympathy out of me. They are the one club in Spain that I have "liked" consistently for over a decade.

Never been to Riazor but dream of going.

I own one Depor kit which coincidentally ended up being the kit they wore in 1999/2000, the year of the title! :) :cool: I also recently obtained a scarf, sent to me by a colleague's wife and purchased in the club's official shop in La Coruna.

Other clubs I support:
    Napoli - I'm from there! No-brainer.
    Toulouse - my girlfriend is from there, and I've been there a few times.

6. Nutmeg

Nutmeg Member+

Aug 24, 1999
    How or why did you start supporting Depor?

While living in Spain, I did the Camino de Santiago with a group from Coruña. We became good friends, and I went back to Galicia to catch up with them. Depor happened to be playing, we went, and I've been hooked ever since. More than any other season, that year sticks out as my favorite as a Depor fan - even the CL run. They finished second in La Liga on the last game of the season. Instead of being heart-broken, the city threw the funnest party I've ever attended. Purely magical. It was that season that coined the term SuperDepor.

Who is your all time favorite Depor player? Why?

Mauro Silva. In his prime, he simply dominated the field. He owned it. None of the current great defensive midfielders match up to Silva in his best days. He was a force of strength, skill, and will I've never seen since.

Why not another La Liga club?

I've been to a lot of different venues in Spain, seen a lot of different teams, but I simply haven't made the emotional connection I made with Depor and the city of Coruña.

Have you ever been to the Reizor?

Many times.

How many Depor kits do you own? Which ones?

Nope. I own Depor t-shirts, but I've never been one to wear a soccer jersey that I didn't plan on playing in.

What other clubs do you like or support and why?

The only other "club" I actively support is the US National Team. Again it comes down to the experiences I've had watching them play with my best of friends, cheering for them, and the emotional connection I feel for "my" boys.

7. DSC05

DSC05 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Detroit, MI
    Club:
    --other--
    Yeah it's Nutmeg! One of the first Depor supporters around here! I hope things are going well for you :).

8. Catfish

Catfish Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Why doesn't Nutmeg have Depor has his team or teams in his profile?
    That is the question.