[NSR] calvados

Discussion in 'France' started by Zak, Feb 18, 2003.

1. Zak

Zak Member

Feb 18, 2002
    Massive Club
    calvados

Anyone know where I can order Calvados from? None of my local stores have it. I'd also like a bottle of Creme de Cassis.

Thanks.

2. conquerant

conquerant New Member

Sep 22, 2000
    Boston
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did you ask your stores about ordering some? It is available here, I see it from time to time at stores near me.

What I've never seen is some Norman/Breton style cider, I could really go for a few bottles of that too!

3. Zak

Zak Member

Feb 18, 2002
    Massive Club
    [NSR]- Calvados

I'll check when I get home, but there is a style that comes direct from Rennes, I believe it is Armen, or something like that. It's quite tasty.

I'd love to find some calvados from Breton, but from what I understand the norman version is more available.

4. conquerant

conquerant New Member

Sep 22, 2000
    Boston
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually, there is only one calvados, it's only from the region named "Calvados" in Lower Normandy around the city of Caen. And it's fantastic :) I should know, I spent about 8 months in Caen ;)

I'm not sure about the Rennais drink you're talking about, but--and this is very important to the French--it's not calvados unless it's actually made in Calvados. Calvados is a type of brandy made from apples, could be what you're talking about is a similar drink made in Rennes. I seem to recall a drink called I think "Armeniac" or something, I believe that's also a type of brandy, I have no idea where or of what it's made, but that could be what you're thinking of.