NRC: 2021 Leagues Cup

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by NFLPatriot, Jul 7, 2021.

1. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    SuperLiga reborn!

I'm hoping the Revs are in the CCL in 2022, but if not, this should be the bare minimum:

2021 Leagues Cup schedule and Liga MX participants announced
    Wednesday, Jul 7, 2021, 01:08 PM
    mlssoccer.com

Tuesday, August 10
    QF4: Sporting Kansas City vs. Club León (Children’s Mercy Park – Kansas City, KS), 8 pm ET (TUDN, ESPN2)
    QF3: Seattle Sounders FC vs. Tigres UANL (Lumen Field – Seattle, WA), 10 pm ET (TUDN, ESPN2)

Wednesday, August 11
    QF2: New York City FC vs. Pumas (Yankee Stadium – New York, NY), 8 pm ET (TUDN, ESPN+)

Thursday, August 12
    QF1: Orlando City SC vs. Santos Laguna (Exploria Stadium – Orlando, FL), 7 pm ET (TUDN, ESPN+)

rkupp repped this.
  2. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    Yes! I may be in the minority, but after years and years of playing the same MLS clubs over and over, I loved the SuperLiga.

3. Revs In First :)

Aug 15, 2001
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Count me in this minority as well. No one sets out to win the Europa League, they want the Champions League (well, unless they want to create a breakaway competition, that is). But when they get the chance to win it, they revel in it. The more competitions we have a chance to be involved in the better. I want a trophy case that is much more full with trophies of all kinds. Some may mean more than others, but they all have meaning.

A Casual Fan and rkupp repped this.
  4. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  5. tsb11

tsb11 Member+

United States
    May 31, 2018
    Im rooting for Seattle, if for no other reason than to give them an extra game to play

rkupp repped this.
  6. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It worked.

7. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  8. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  9. Argyle

Argyle Member

Jan 31, 2002
    Plymouth, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This might be fun. This might also mean a lot more games on Wednesday nights.

10. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Now that the Revs are good enough to actually qualify for this, they are going to start letting every team in.

rkupp and patfan1 repped this.
  11. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It sounds like they are going to pause the regular season schedule in both leagues for the month that this takes place.

Although it probably means a lot more Wed night games the rest of the year to make up for it.

12. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    My first thought exactly. :ROFLMAO:

13. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Still two years away, so I'm just spit-balling here.

There will be 47 teams: 18 LMX and 29 MLS (including Charlotte and St Louis).
    No group stage, so 17 teams get byes in the first round, leaving 15 match ups. Let's say the top 9 MLS teams and top 8 LMX teams get byes. That would mean 10 LMX v MLS matchups in round 1, and 5 MLS v MLS matchups.

14. BERich

BERich Member+

Feb 3, 2012
    New England
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This whole attempt to expand in just about every tournament is simply a money grab. They (the owners and everybody who makes money off the games - but doesn't play in them) want to expand the Nations Cup, make the World Cup every two years, etc. It is just going to water down the product. Look at last night's Revs game; in the first half they played the second team, the play wasn't spectacular. It sounds great to the fans, more football! But the toll it will take on the players will be tough to watch, IMHO.

rkupp repped this.
  15. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No doubt it is a money grab, but there is more to it than that. It will take a toll, but that's why I think the decision to put the regular season schedule on pause for the month of this tournament is huge.

And the teams that get knocked out in the first round will be well rested when the league schedule resumes.

I like the USOC, but would you rather watch the Revs B team play the Richmond Kickers, or the A team play a LMX club?

16. Revs In First :)

Aug 15, 2001
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fortunately, we'll get both of those options.

17. BERich

BERich Member+

Feb 3, 2012
    New England
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was looking at it globally. Yes, it would be fun to watch MLS vs LMX. But if the world cup goes every two years; how many games will need to be played every year to see who qualifies? At that point, MLS will have to adopt the world's schedule. Because each summer will be filled with either qualifying or playing the world cup and your team will be without your best players for months.

18. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    I'll admit to not having read the details, but if the league break is for 'group play', that's good, but if it's knock-out play, then it's going to lead to some teams overplaying and others underplaying.