[NQR] San Jose Brigade Travel Plans

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by ggayle, Mar 11, 2005.

1. ggayle

ggayle Member

May 4, 1999
    Oaktown, CA, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was gonna start a thread about this in a few weeks considering the interest about the Salt Lake U.S. qualifier, but with the announcement of US/England today, and tickets going on sale for it at the end of the month, I figured might as well start talking now.

So the three games I'm planning on going to:
    US/England in Chicago May 28th
    US/Costa Rica in Salt Lake City on June 4th
    US/Mexico in Columbus on September 3rd

I want to get an idea of who's in for which games. See if you want to make plans, etc.

I also know that a number of you are going to the match in Mexico City, feel free to post here too. Along with travel to any other U.S. games.

Please keep this discussion to people actually travelling. I don't want to see it cluttered up with non-info.

Group viewing parties should start their own thread(s) (like those of us watching the victory in Azteca game on the tube :)).

2. CARLOS1

CARLOS1 Member

Aug 9, 2001
    Sunnyvale, CA
    Club:
    Real Betis
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    US/England in Chicago May 28th and US/Mexico in Columbus on September 3rd will probably be it for me.

3. littau

littau Member

Jul 28, 1999
    37.3509 N 121.9371 W
    I've been debating which of these matches to go to.

I think it's US/Costa Rica and US/Mexico in Columbus.

It's a 12 hour drive to Salt Lake City, but I'm up for it if others are interested. Otherwise it's about a $170 round trip flight.

I think Alexi and I are it for Azteca in two weeks. Anyone else going who wants to meet up there?

4. ggayle

ggayle Member

May 4, 1999
    Oaktown, CA, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Which airline had the $170, Southwest? I found $176 flying in on Saturday morning and leaving on Sunday on SWA's website (Oakland to Salt Lake).

BTW for everyone considering trips, Southwest flys into Midway and Columbus (IIRC, C-bus is a SWA hub).

5. Via_Chicago

Via_Chicago Member

Apr 1, 2004
    Bay Area, California
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, I'll (hopefully) be going to that US v. England match in May, but I imagine that this post isn't entirely pertinent since I live here. However, I will also be going to cheer on the Earthquakes against the Fire on April 16. If any fans are planning on going to that game, please let me know; it would be wonderful if we could sit together.

6. Smurfquake

Smurfquake Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2000
    San Carlos, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am going to try for US/Mexico in C-bus on Labor Day weekend. Maybe just me, or maybe I will take my wife along... on a vacation to scenic... Columbus Ohio... at the end of the summer... OK, it will probably just be me. :D

The other games will not happen for me.

7. i_heart_landon

i_heart_landon New Member

Nov 18, 2004
    Columbus-for now
    I don't think Cbus is a hub for anything. At least not anything that would get you an inexpensive direct flight from the Bay to here. I think America West was the only one running directly the last time I looked. Sorry this is a little OT, I thought it might be helpful.

8. i_heart_landon

Nov 18, 2004
    Columbus-for now
    Same with me re: the Cbus game July 9.

9. Jay Hipps

Jay Hipps Member

Mar 18, 2000
    Northern California
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    SWA does fly into C-bus. One tip: When booking flights on Southwest, make sure you look at how long the whole thing will take and how many legs you'll be flying. I had a flight back from Columbus once that took me to Nashville, Tucson, and Ontario before depositing me in Oakland.

Oh, and book early for the best fares. And if you're flying SWA, you can check in online and print out your boarding pass before you even get to the airport. Nice to be in the "A" group and not have to arrive so early.

10. littau

littau Member

Jul 28, 1999
    37.3509 N 121.9371 W
    Your right. I was going from memory the last time checked. Looking again, it's $195 including taxes from San Jose and Oakland - more from SFO.

What's the cost to Columbus?

11. ggayle

ggayle Member

May 4, 1999
    Oaktown, CA, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At the moment I think SWA is only booking through early August.

Y'all were right about direct flights though. I was trying to find some for the 4th of July weekend and having no luck at all.

12. Hawkeye17

Hawkeye17 DynaChick v QuakeBabe v WildKate v Chewie23

Aug 25, 1999
    Miami Vice 82
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The only option right now would be Columbus, OH on Labor Day weekend--it's 50/50 at best, and while I don't mind travelling with the pack, I'm going off the trail with this trip...

(I have free miles accrued from travelling on NWA but it's a tossup between that and MLS Cup 2005 in Dallas IF the Quakes are in the final...)

Memorial Day weekend is Carnaval so can't go to Chicago...

13. doppelganger

doppelganger Member

Jul 6, 2001
    santa cruz, ca
    planning on US/Mex...

but will more than likely attend the two Gold Cup matches in Seattle on 7/7 v Cuba & 7/9 v Canada....

14. billward

billward Member

Oct 22, 2002
    El Cerrito, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't just assume that Southwest is the cheapest anywhere. It's often not, and their service is horrible. Look on orbitz or one of those sites and you may find a similar or better price on another airline, like United or Frontier.

15. Beerking

Beerking Member+

Nov 14, 2000
    Humboldt County
    I thought about driving to Salt Lake for the CR match but there's a Quakes game the same day so I guess I'll just tape the USMNT match and go watch the Quakes kick the crap out of DC United.

16. ggayle

ggayle Member

May 4, 1999
    Oaktown, CA, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I disagree. I've had better experiences with Southwest than any almost any other airline (Jet Blue is the only one that comes to mind that's been better for me). You don't get the bells and whistles, but they tend to get you there on time.

United on the other hand...(argh). If I had hair, I'd pull it out thinking about my experiences with United.

I agree with you about looking other at flights and packages. That's what this thread's about. If folks come across chaeper flights, please, please, please post 'em.

17. ggayle

ggayle Member

May 4, 1999
    Oaktown, CA, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just reserved my hotel in the shadow of the Mothership.

$89.10 per night at the Best Western Grant Park Hotel using Yahoo Travel, and a AAA discount.

18. Jay Hipps

Jay Hipps Member

Mar 18, 2000
    Northern California
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So you can see George Clinton from your hotel room? Excellent!

:D

19. ggayle

ggayle Member

May 4, 1999
    Oaktown, CA, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As Brother George leads the US onto the field:

[​IMG]

ATA had direct flights for $165 from SFO to Chicago Midway, but when I went to buy one the price had raised to $211. Damn bait and switch. I'm gonna try and wait.

FYI this was posted by Big Dog in the Yanks In Germany group:

20. ggayle

ggayle Member

May 4, 1999
    Oaktown, CA, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    More hotel prices.

Just booked at the Holiday Inn Express within walking distance of Crew stadium (Saturday-Monday). The Saturday night rate was $80, but the rate changes to $56 on Sunday night if you want to stay an extra day.

Also booked at the Howard Johnson Express in Salt Lake City for $54.63 through Yahoo Travel. It's a block from the Delta Center and right at the end of the train line that goes to Rice-Eccles.

Now all I have to do is get to these cities. :)

21. i_heart_landon

Nov 18, 2004
    Columbus-for now
    One of the reasons y'all may be having problems getting rooms for the game in Cbus is that Sept. 3 is also an OSU football game at home. You may have more luck going farther away from CCS, since CCS is kind of close to campus, and renting a car. Plus, you may get cheaper rates, which means you would be able to afford renting a car for the day or two (I know the Comfort Inn near my place on the east side (about 15 minutes from CCS) tops out at around $50 for home football games). Just a thought.

22. billward

billward Member

Oct 22, 2002
    El Cerrito, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Renting a car may be the best plan. Enterprise has $10 per day weekend rentals in most cities.

23. Hawkeye17

Hawkeye17 DynaChick v QuakeBabe v WildKate v Chewie23

Aug 25, 1999
    Miami Vice 82
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

To add...

since it's the holiday season, anyone who plans to do so might want to check for blackout dates, be flying or renting a car...

24. gilmoreaz

gilmoreaz Member

Aug 19, 2003
    Peoria, Arizona
    Can someone help a distant soccer fan from Arizona???

I am planning to go to Chicago in May for the nats game against that island in europe where it rains all the time called England...

What is the consensus... Will England bring a strong side to play, or will they bring their seconds? Either way, it should be a great experience but am curious what I should expect from a talent level.

25. Naco

Naco Member

Aug 5, 2001
    My mum and I are going to Chicago :D