[NQR] - San José Mayor Confirms Champ Car Plans

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by nyrmetros, Nov 20, 2004.

1. yalpstel

yalpstel Member

Oct 12, 2000
    Bay Area, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If I can trade this night of work with someone, my son and I are there.

That guy is beyond dirtbag.

2. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually, the SaberCats have won just as many as the Earthquakes. ;)

Though there's no need to be mad at the city of San Jose... only at Mayor Ron Gonzales and his current administration. The best revenge is actually to keep the San Jose Earthquakes (whether the new stadium is built in San Jose, Santa Clara or elsewhere in the South Bay) to show him that the San Jose Earthquakes can and will endure far past Gonzales' time in office despite anything he does/doesn't do to push the contrary.

GO SAN JOSE EARTHQUAKES!!! :cool:

-G

3. sj_quakes_fan

sj_quakes_fan Member

May 18, 2001
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Only 10? :D

4. sj_quakes_fan

sj_quakes_fan Member

May 18, 2001
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oops sorry. Thanks for correcting me. I always forget about them.

And, you know, just because he's the Mayor doesn't mean he makes all the decisions. He can't decide to make this thing go without others allowing it also.

5. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's what I meant by "Mayor Ron Gonzales and his current administration". The San Jose Earthquakes will still be around long after their political terms expire.

GO SAN JOSE EARTHQUAKES!!! :cool:

-G

6. sj_quakes_fan

sj_quakes_fan Member

May 18, 2001
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Honestly, I hope you're right. And I hope the next "administration" does great things for San Jose. It's my home. But the decisions that are being made and that have been made are just bringing down the city.

7. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
  8. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You can sit and watch it and get drunk at the downtown Brit.

9. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  10. BlueMeanie

BlueMeanie New Member

Apr 1, 2002
    EastSIIIIDE
    The subheadline says a lot:

S.J. TAXPAYER COMMITMENT TRIPLES, COULD REACH $815,000 FOR $3 MILLION EVENT TO BE HELD JULY 31​

As in, a taxpayer commitment of 815K and a $3m event cost is a hell of a lot less than a pro sports stadium. In fairness, I hate that this seems to be more of a priority to RoGo, but the finances are worlds apart. They would have to hold this race at least a dozen times to approach the amount they'd spend on an SSS. And let's not forget that RoGo's totally nuts, and committing to something against the recommendation of his budget chief.

I wish I knew more about who exactly (if anybody) RoGo's talked to about trying to keep the Quakes here. But nobody mentions names.

11. Spartacus

Spartacus Member

May 20, 2001
    The NO SOCCER Zone
    Perhaps we should re-focus our ire not so much on RonGone but on the council people that are still eligible for re-election. I think Cindy Chavez is still up for another term and her district includes the race course and the university/Spartan Stadium area.

12. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    An excellent idea Spartacus!

Hassle your City Council folks. Many of them plan to continue in politics for sometime. For that matter, RonGone may have "higher" aspirations too. It's almost enough to make me wish that I lived in San Jose. Almost. ;)

GO QUAKES!!

- Mark

13. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    As I said before, the Champcar race in San Jose is a good thing for the community. But definately have the Earthquakes get involved in some cross promotion. Take the Champcar race sponsors to an Earthquakes game, and take the Earthquakes sponsors to the Champcar race. Lots of stuff like this can be done. Just keep convincing San Jose that the Earthquakes are city and community oriented, good citizens. And hopefully down the road the Quakes will have their new home in the San Jose/Bay area.

14. Spartacus

Spartacus Member

May 20, 2001
    The NO SOCCER Zone
    Maybe so...but first things first. We've gone to the city for how long and been told "sorry, the cupboard is bare". And then they turn around and commit taxpayer financing to this event? It's not right. It's talking out of both sides of your mouth.
    The way things are going with this city, the new home will be down the road...literally!

15. helmet

helmet New Member

Aug 8, 2000
    San Jose
    SSV will be attending the next Sports Authority meeting and presenting on the Quakes and current status. Many of the folks involved in this CHAMPS will be involved at the meeting. I like the idea of cross-marketing.

16. angra

angra New Member

Oct 10, 2001
    myfootongarbers'ass
    Its time for another Quakes downtown rally. A very loud rally. Thats all I want for Christmas. Gonzalez makes me sick.

17. SC in SF

SC in SF Member

Nov 18, 2004
    SF
    Why not move San Jose Earthquakes to San Francisco, Mayor Ron Gonzales obviously doesn't want them there. At least SF Mayor Gavin Newson wants them in SF. Plus it is a more recognized city than SJ.

18. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    Thank you.

19. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    I think the problem is that the San Jose civic leaders are just completely consumed with the idea of trying to make downtown San Jose a real city. So anything that involves downtown, they're all over it. The Quakes play far enough outside of downtown that they just don't seem to occupy the same space on the radar for RoGo and Co. And because of the land requirements for something like an SSS, there doesn't seem to be an option that would put them in or near downtown, unless they get something like the coveted cannery spot. That would be a great location, but they've probably earmarked it for a baseball stadium for a MLB team that will never move to San Jose, or an office park or something.

Maybe the best hope at this point is a Santa Clara stadium and for San Jose to kick in some recurring fee to Santa Clara in order to retain the "San Jose" part of "San Jose Earthquakes". We'll call it the "Goodsport Tax" :) .

I'm trying to be open-minded about the auto race in terms of cross-sell opportunity, etc., but I have a huge dislike for the sport on many levels. This is a personal opinion, but I don't like the fact that the city is bringing in a sport that glorifies oil consumption while our nation suffers miserably and tragically for it's dependence on Middle East oil.

20. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    Champcars use methanol gasoline. Burns more efficiently that conventional gasoline does. But it also has invisible flames.....

21. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    OK, then please disregard my misinformed Middle East comment. Of course, they're getting all that methanol from those mobile chemical weapons labs in Iraq. :) I'm feeling less bad about the Champ Car thing. I think it might be pretty successful in San Jose and I guess at this point the best thing for the Quakes is to try to use it to cross-promote. Maybe it will sort of help stir the pot and get people out of their houses and into other local sporting events like Quakes games (trying to look at it in the best possible light). Looks like the course would run right past the Quakes office.

22. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    A good cross promotion program by the Quakes and the Champcar organizers would do well for everyone involved. Champcar wants build to relations with the community, and the Quakes want to get their name and message out to the masses.....

23. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe not.

Read this:
    Fast Cars & Caution

I frequently disagree with Mark Purdy and have probably threated to puke on his shoes at least once. So I must say that I'm surprised by this piece. He clearly did some research and thought a lot about this.

RonGone and the City Council suck.

LONG LIVE THE QUAKES!!

- Mark

24. Spartacus

Spartacus Member

May 20, 2001
    The NO SOCCER Zone
    Nice find, Mark.

There's a large stench rapidly rising from this proposal...

25. 1Bri Fanatic333

1Bri Fanatic333 New Member

Jul 12, 2000
    I havn't really read the thread, so excuse me if I am repeating, but what happens when a car loses control and crashes into a building or something? Like, per say, that new multi-million dollar one the mayor is building for himself....