(NQR) San Francisco's Development Plans for 49ers

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by Mr. Bandwagon, Mar 27, 2007.

1. Mr. Bandwagon

Mr. Bandwagon Member

Terremotos
    May 24, 2001
    the Barbary Coast
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This may be interesting to some of you who haven't seen the chronicle today, since it is another example of Bay area development and financing for pro sports teams:

SF has released a draft framework for a proposed massive development project at Hunter's Point Naval Shipyard that would include gobs of retail, office space, housing, parks and recreation space, a mid-size arena of some sort, and a new NFL stadium.

Grand Plan for 49ers

Big Hurdles in Providing New Home

Project's Housing Would Meet Need

The Proposal
    [​IMG]

I don't personally give a hoot for pointy ball, but I have to admit, the plans look pretty awesome. Too bad that soccer isn't a bigger deal in this country, 'cause it would be killer if they did something like this for an expansion MLS team up here. There's a chance that the Niners move to Santa Clara anyway, which would leave these plans w/o the anchor tenant. Just look at the picture and think MLS/World Cup qualifiers/World Cup Finals matches. ;)

(Mods - feel free to merge if there is already a Niners stadium thread somewhere on the board)

2. pwave

pwave Member

Jul 28, 2004
    ValleyOfHeartsDelite
    Looks great, but where are they going to get all of that sunshine they show in the artist's renderings?

3. Mr. Bandwagon

Mr. Bandwagon Member

Terremotos
    May 24, 2001
    the Barbary Coast
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    LOL!

Actually, that neighboorhood is quite sunny during the day. It's just that prior to early/mid morning and beginning in the late afternoon, fog and cold air roll in and then it sucks.

So yeah, it's less than ideal, but it's got a nice view on the water there and I would have no problem bundling up in a MLS sweater and knit cap with my MLS team season tickets.

4. krudmonk

krudmonk Member+

Mar 7, 2007
    S.J. Sonora
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    It's Hunters Point. Weather is the last thing you should worry about.

5. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Sounds cool...But short sleeves in SF? :D

6. ggayle

ggayle Member

May 4, 1999
    Oaktown, CA, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's the point of the project. It's an attempt to revitalize that hood.

No whether or not that includes keeping the current residents there, is another matter for debate.

7. Mr. Bandwagon

Mr. Bandwagon Member

Terremotos
    May 24, 2001
    the Barbary Coast
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey, we all gotta die sometime.

8. krudmonk

krudmonk Member+

Mar 7, 2007
    S.J. Sonora
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Of course it doesn't accomodate them. Look at the Embarcadero now thanks to Pac BC&T Park or whatever it is. I don't think it's the same populace.

9. Mr. Bandwagon

Mr. Bandwagon Member

Terremotos
    May 24, 2001
    the Barbary Coast
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All that the Phone (PacBell/AT&T Park) and the surrounding development (highrise housing and some shows and restaurants) replaced was light industrial warehouses and maybe a few brown fields. I don't reall that there were all too many people from the neighborhood who were upset about being kicked out.

It will be different of course with Hunter's Point, but the residents either live in really bad project housing which needs replacement anyways, or are artists living on the base. I'm sure that they will have to put together alternative housing for anyone who is displaced, and they probably are going to give people the option of returning once the new development is ready. People will get upset, but there's really no other option except no build, and that would do nothing to improve the neighborhood. A relatively high ratio of below-market housing (new housing, not just replacement housing) along with cultural spaces, parks, jobs, and increased property values will help to address a lot of the neighborhood concerns IMHO.

10. Tone Capone

Tone Capone Member

Dec 6, 2005
    SF Bay
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I need a warm towel.

11. krudmonk

krudmonk Member+

Mar 7, 2007
    S.J. Sonora
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    My point was about what they turned it into, not what they changed it from.

12. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Until you finally realize that you're missing the San Jose Earthquakes game that night. :eek:

Unless, of course, you're referring to when there'll finally be a Bay Area MLS derby between the San Jose Earthquakes and the San Francisco San Franciscans (and possibly even a three-way derby involving the Oakland Oaklanders). ;)

GO SAN JOSE EARTHQUAKES!!! :cool:

-G

13. krudmonk

krudmonk Member+

Mar 7, 2007
    S.J. Sonora
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    San Francisco would demand an EPL team, I'm sure.

14. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Do you say this becuase of the cold weather, the dampness and the fog?:)

15. Mr. Bandwagon

Mr. Bandwagon Member

Terremotos
    May 24, 2001
    the Barbary Coast
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A composite EPL team in the City would be hugely popular - especially if they played in a new SSS.

16. krudmonk

krudmonk Member+

Mar 7, 2007
    S.J. Sonora
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    That all works, too, but I was refering to the fact that they tout themselves as a "European city" and, thus, are obviously above paltry MLS teams.

17. Mr. Bandwagon

Mr. Bandwagon Member

Terremotos
    May 24, 2001
    the Barbary Coast
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who is this "they" that you refer to? I don't think I'm familiar with them.

18. krudmonk

krudmonk Member+

Mar 7, 2007
    S.J. Sonora
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    San Francisco. It's a city to the north.

19. maxpepper

maxpepper Member

Jan 29, 2006
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Hunters Point... ehhh... no thx.
    If the 49's leave SF that would be really sad, but moving to Hunters Point? Please Gavin, nooooo!! .___.

20. krudmonk

krudmonk Member+

Mar 7, 2007
    S.J. Sonora
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    It'll be gentrified by the time they begin playing there.

21. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's the only way they're staying in the Bay Area. Santa Clara isn't going to happen. The city appears to be vehemently opposed to using the utility funds to finance the stadium, and frankly I agree with them. I wouldn't want my power rates to go up 30% just so the 8th rate 49ers can get new digs. Santa Clara Power is the best in California for a reason, and tapping the funds would only make them more like that crap company PG&E (incase you can't tell I live in Santa Clara and am TOTALLY opposed to my rates going up).

22. bluenblack

bluenblack New Member

Jul 15, 2005
    San Leandro, CA
    Has anyone mentioned any potential clean up of the site? If memory serves, nukes used to be stored there when the base was in operation. Let's not forget the power plant out there too!

23. krudmonk

krudmonk Member+

Mar 7, 2007
    S.J. Sonora
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    They're not anywhere near "8th rate" but the city should not be forced into tapping those resources to house a team that won't even carry their name anyway. It'd have been better if the idea of leaving S.F. had never come up to begin with.

24. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dude, they're 8th rate. They suck on field and off. All of which can be tied to having the worst management in the NFL. Even senile Al Davis is better.

25. krudmonk

krudmonk Member+

Mar 7, 2007
    S.J. Sonora
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Wait, when was the last time you watched the NFL? The Niners are on the way up and have been for at least a year now. Oakland is a whole different story.