NPR Maps the Web of GOP Donors

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by Pathogen, Oct 27, 2010.

1. Pathogen

Pathogen Member

Jul 19, 2004
    Like you care.
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Last week on the right wing blogosphere they were Muslim Public Radio. This week, it will be back to Nancy Pelosi Radio.

3. saosebastiao

saosebastiao New Member

May 22, 2005
    They were about to do the same thing with the DNC, supposedly...but the editors kept complaining about how it just looked like a map of health insurance companies and public service unions. :p

4. The Gribbler

The Gribbler Member

Jul 14, 1999
    Cedar Hill, Texas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thought about making a new thread, but then saw that this article would fit quite nicely in this one.

You know GOP Crossroads, the sort of splinter group that lets Rove run the real RNC? Its pretty much just funded by 4 rich Texans. Out of $22 million raised and being spent across the country to help buy the elections, almost $17 million of that is 4 big spenders from Texas.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcon...tories/102710DNmettxbillionaires.2812477.html

5. Pathogen

Pathogen Member

Jul 19, 2004
    Like you care.
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually, they did this with the Democrats last year. I don't have the link, but I imagine George Soros is in there.

But as with anything, give it to the Republicans to take it to the eleventh level.

6. steve-o

steve-o New Member

Nov 14, 2007
    How is that taking it to the 11th level?

7. Pathogen

Pathogen Member

Jul 19, 2004
    Like you care.
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Way more money coming in from rich Republicans for astroturfing.

8. steve-o

steve-o New Member

Nov 14, 2007
    Oh, gotcha. So what is wrong with fake grass? More NCAA teams seem to be turning to it as it has lower upkeep costs and looks great year round.

9. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    :D

Actually, and I think you'll be into this, they did it today, focusing on unions.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=130865895

When it comes to campaign ads, such spending has overwhelmingly favored Republican candidates this year. But labor unions, a critical Democratic ally, are once again among the biggest spenders overall.

For all of the talk of the decline of U.S. labor, unions remain important players in elections.

Nearly one in four voters lives in a union household. They are more likely to vote and polls show they still solidly favor Democrats by a solid margin. So you can see why labor leaders are working so hard as next Tuesday nears.

Democrats have complained that outside groups are giving Republicans a huge money advantage this year. That's likely to be true when it's all added up after next week. But GOP strategist Karl Rove, who is associated with a non-party group called American Crossroads, says Democrats have no grounds for complaint.

"This has been going on for a long while," he told the CBS show Face the Nation. "In fact, you left out a big player in this. Four unions alone will have, according to their own announcements, spent $222 million in money on elections this year."

The Wall Street Journal recently compiled a list of the top five outside spenders of this election cycle. No. 1 is the American Federation of State, County and Municipal Employees, the government employees union, at $87 million. Next are the U.S. Chamber of Commerce at $75 million and American Crossroads at $65 million.

This year labor has hit or exceeded all of its dollar goals, but Warren of Columbia University says it's still an uphill fight.

"It's not enough," Warren said. "So you can hit all your marks, but it's not a total predictor of what the outcomes might be."

He says just look back to 2006 when Republicans hit all of their cash goals and lost both the House and Senate to the Democrats.

10. marek

marek Member+

Lechia Gdańsk
    Jun 27, 2000
    Club:
    OSP Lechia Gdansk
    Nat'l Team:
    Poland
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ll7rWiY5obI"]YouTube - Spinal Tap - These Go Up To 11[/ame]

11. billyireland

billyireland Member+

May 4, 2003
    Sydney, Australia
    It also causes more injuries, and the moment you fall off your feet, prepare to get astroburn.

12. steve-o

steve-o New Member

Nov 14, 2007
    Wow....

13. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well since we're extending the threadjack.....why the wow? Even the really great field turf isn't as soft as grass. I play on such a surface at least once a week..... it's harder on your joints and while it doesn't burn you like old-school astro-turf, slide tackling on it certainly leaves more of a burn than slide tackling on grass.

14. HerthaBerwyn

HerthaBerwyn Member+

May 24, 2003
    Chicago
    N ot to mention the fact that nasty pollutants such as spit, snot, blood and Sarah Palin dont soak in but just lurk. therefore any unwanted contact contaminants the body. MRSA is a real problem in some Texas schools.

15. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I made one slide tackle on old-style astro turf when I was 18 years old. Still had remnants of the mark when I was 25.

16. Smiley321

Smiley321 Member

Apr 21, 2002
    Concord, Ca
    I see a new Obama czar going on the warpath against these villains - the new vast right wing conspiracy.

This is about the only thing Obama will copy from Clinton's regime after Tuesday's adversity.

17. saosebastiao

saosebastiao New Member

May 22, 2005
    I never thought about this, and now you have ruined indoor soccer for me. I'm now going to every game in a lysol coated kevlar bodysuit.

18. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Futsal, baby. Futsal.

19. NER_MCFC

NER_MCFC Member

May 23, 2001
    Cambridge, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Are there any 501c4s on the Democratic side? Those are the organizations that don't have to report their donors, and most of the newer GOP big money groups are organized that way.

20. billyireland

billyireland Member+

May 4, 2003
    Sydney, Australia
    God damn grass, with it's liberal bias! :mad:

We still play on one of the old-school type ones ocassionally. I'm a keeper and it's good practice for distribution and passing, keeping sharp as to when to stay in/come out for the ball, and also for practising getting down to low shots and reflexes. When we play up in that place, I bring old jeans, gel plasters and lots of tape for my just under my knees. The turf has burned straight through the jeans within 5-10 minutes a few times before... surreal stuff.

21. steve-o

steve-o New Member

Nov 14, 2007
    That wasn't a threadjack, you'll know when you get one from me. The wow is because its amazing how each side claims the other is "taking things to the 11th level" when it comes to campaign finance. One side has Beck, Limbaugh, and oil men while the other has unions and environmental groups.