Now that they're coming back... preferred starting XI?

Discussion in 'Newcastle United' started by greenie, Sep 3, 2002.

1. greenie

greenie New Member

Feb 6, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    With minutes for both Bellamy and Robert yesterday, one can only assume it won't be long until both are ready for the starting call (if not already).

So, who are your preferred XI?

I've enjoyed the play of Lua Lua and Viana this year, but the injection of Craig and Laurent yesterday was simply too incredible to ignore. My lineup:

Shearer Bellamy
    Robert Speed Dyer Nobby
    Bernard Bramble Nikos Hughes
    Given

I expect by midseason I'll be desiring Jenas or Viana in the middle over Speed, but in the meantime I still think Gary's experience is more valuable than his foot speed. Not to mention he still has a great nose for goal. Of course, with Saturday's blowup between Speed and Dyer, they may not be the most compatible duo.

I'm still concerned with Bramble; if we're going to advance in Europe he's got to improve QUICKLY. Note to Titus: we need you to be more reliable than Dabz.

2. Wide Boy

Wide Boy New Member

Aug 23, 2002
    London
    I agree with nearly all that, although I think that O'Brien is our best centre back when fit. I would start with him and Dabizas in the centre.

As we have discussed before, I would go for Viana instead of Speed right away, but I accept your point that his experience is an asset.

Both Robert and Bellamy looked superb last night; it will be great to see them start against Leeds on September 11.

3. CrewToon

CrewToon Member

Jun 13, 1999
    Greenbrier Farm
    As I have mentioned before, the Toon is only hampered by experience (especially in the back) but the young ones keep getting better.

Consider Newcastle could field the following starting lineup and be very competitive in the top flight:

Goal: Given
    Defense: Hughes, Bramble, O'Brien, Bernard
    Midfield: Viana, Jenas, Dyer, Gavilan or McClen
    Forward: Bellamy, LuaLua or Amoebi.

Given would be the old man - and he just turned 26! Dyer is 24 in December! The remainder are 23 or younger.

Just for the fun of it, I would like to see the Toon start a lineup like this against the Mackems, just so those chimps realize they will be in trouble for at least the next decade.

4. greenie

greenie New Member

Feb 6, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    With Gary Speed playing a reportedly excellent game for Wales at left back, any thoughts on him playing left back for the Toon... or even right back?

If the switch did happen, we'd be able to have Viana and Dyer in the center of midfield with Robert and Solano on the outside... ooooooooh.

Of course that would mean Bernard would sit. While we'd miss his abilitty to overlap into the attack, he's not been the most devastating marker in his runouts.

I'm not convinced of the idea, but a good discussion, I think. Thoughts?

5. geordienation

geordienation Moderator

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    I've been thinking the same thing ever since I read it. It would depend on the opponent. You're not really sacrificing much attack by putting Speed at a back b/c of the tradeoff of getting Viana nad Dyer in the middle.

6. Selecao2002

Selecao2002 New Member

Oct 20, 2000
    MA
    As a big fan of Portugal and Hugo Viana, I have quickly turned my attention and rooting interest to Newcastle. While Hugo has performed pretty well on the left wing, I would love to see Robson move him to the center of the pitch, where he belongs. Any of you who witness the Portugal-England friendly last week saw the magic he created from central midfield in the second half. I would love to see he and Dyer teaming up in the middle for NUFC.

7. Wide Boy

Wide Boy New Member

Aug 23, 2002
    London
    I agree with you, S2002. As you can see from the discussion above, opinion is divided on whether to start Hugo now, instead of Gary Speed, or to bring him in gradually.

As long as Laurent Robert is fit, he will be first option as wide-left midfielder.

I think that Hugo has shown enough already (both attacking and defensively) to be worth a starting place in the centre of our midfield.

8. CrewToon

CrewToon Member

Jun 13, 1999
    Greenbrier Farm
    Wide,

Then my question: Where do you play Jenas?