Now that San Jose has signed Bobby Convey...

Discussion in 'LA Galaxy' started by ragbone, Feb 10, 2009.

1. ragbone

ragbone Member+

Sep 2, 2005
    Santo Tomas, Batangas, Philippines.
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    and tha G's have the next allocation priority, who is available and out of contract, that they should try to sign?

2. kgzero

kgzero Member

Feb 16, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Woot!!
    Beasly!!! Ok, maybe not...:eek:

3. ragbone

ragbone Member+

Sep 2, 2005
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "Not" is right. He's under contract and would not be available until June.

4. jscott23

jscott23 Member

Manchester United
    United States
    Jan 24, 2003
    Poway, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Considering that we are probably waiting until the summer transfer window anyway, why not start looking at American guys like Jay DeMerit, Jemal Johnson, Marcus Hahnemann, Eddie Johnson or even a Maurice Edu. None of these guys have long-term futures where they are except maybe Hahnemann, and they all fill a need.

5. Poling

Poling Member

May 14, 2008
    Portland, OR
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I actually would be very surprised if we used our allocation spot before the summer.

I think as with most things we are waiting to see how things settle with Becks and Landon, and then try to survive thru the first 3-4 months of the season and then depending on who is available we will go after them

6. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The allocation would need to be used on a returning US player that does not command a DP salary or a transfer fee (or at least a sizeable transfer fee) - so there are some players out there that fit that description but not that many. A couple guys who could be possibilites that come to mind are:

DeMarcus Beasely
    Jay Demerit
    Gregg Berhalter
    Benny Feilheiber
    Heath Pearce
    Eddie Johnson

I wouldn't touch Johnson with a ten-foot pole. But if we could convince local boy Feilheiber to come back with that allocation, that would be a tremendous acquisition, and might be exactly what he needs to get his career back on track....

But I agree with another poster -- unless something unexpected happens, I doubt we'll see us using the allocation until the summer transfer window opens up.

7. jscott23

jscott23 Member

Manchester United
    United States
    Jan 24, 2003
    Poway, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I had forgotten about Benny. Berhalter may be too old to run in this league. I don't think Pearce fills a need though. We need help in the middle of the park.

8. AndrePirloRules

Jan 11, 2008
    How about Ronnie O'Brien? I'm sure that he would like to get revenge on the Quakes.

9. Geneva

Geneva LA for Life

Feb 5, 2003
    Southern Cal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maurice Edu would make our decade. I'd also take Beasley.

How about Freddy Adu? That young man needs playing time like nobody's business.

Also think Feilhaber would be a decent acquisition, dependent however on how bad the behind-the-scenes stuff is that is derailing his career.

10. Galileo777

Galileo777 New Member

Jan 19, 2007
    Sec 134, Row G
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    freddy adu. much like donovan, he needs to accept that he failed in europe, and should come back to the states. what better place than los angeles!

after a few years of getting his game back, he will go to bayern munich on loan, and stay there after his loan is finished. :rolleyes:

11. Soccer Obsession

Jun 13, 2007
    Pasadena
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Freddy Adu will definitely not come back to MLS. He'll find somewhere to play in Europe. He has to much pride to come back, and would be looked at as a failure. The problem with most of those guys is they could probably all make more money playing somewhere in Europe than in MLS. I'd love Johnson, especially if we lose Landon, but I can't really see him coming back to MLS.

12. 73Bruin

73Bruin Member+

Jul 12, 2008
    Torrance, California
    I agree with TrickHog about Eddie Johnson. My recollection from watching him play with Fuhlam on FSC last year was that he definitely had lost it and seldom if ever hustled or put defensive pressure on the ball when it was in the opponents side of the field.

13. Sean...

Sean... Member

Jul 23, 2005
    Ireland
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He really cant play this sport, he's been terrible at Cardiff also where he is currently on loan. I would be pissed if we got him.

Feilhaber and Adu are nice thoughts but neither will return. I think Feilhaber would rather be a bench player in a Scandinavian league than come back home. Adu will eventually find somewhere that suits him.

If there's any hint that Edu is unhappy then we have to move in for him, he's also relatively local I think but not that it would matter, he's the kind of driving force that we need and would be someone to build the franchise around in the absence of Donovan.. At the moment, Beasley is the most likely. Berhalter is too old, 36 this year.

14. The Cadaver

The Cadaver It's very quiet here.

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Of that group, Edu is really the only one that I would like to see in the lineup. Question: does TFC retain any rights to Edu?

15. Sean...

Sean... Member

Jul 23, 2005
    Ireland
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know for drafted players who leave before signing, the team retains the rights for two years. I'm not sure about players who left on a transfer. I think they possibly do, as far as I remember when Wade Barrett left to play in Denmark, the Earthquakes/Dynamo retained his rights. So we would have to do a deal with Toronto for his rights I would presume.

16. The Cadaver

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A chance to off-load Ante Jazic?

17. BigT#20

BigT#20 New Member

Jul 8, 2004
    Aiken, SC
  18. Baysider

Baysider Member+

Jul 16, 2004
    Santa Monica
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I'm not sure about this, but I think that if you make an offer and they don't accept it (and go to Europe instead) then you keep their rights for two years. However, if you sell the player and get an allocation in exchange you give up your rights.

19. The Cadaver

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  20. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's an interesting question - I know in every other scenario the team keeps the players rights for two years - but I don't know about when a transfer fee is involved and the players contract is sold. I can't think of any player sold for a transfer fee that has returned within two years.

21. LA4Life

LA4Life Member

Nov 8, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Even if Beasley is in contract with Rangers, can't we use some of the transfer money AC Milan will pay for Becks to pay Rangers to let him go now? Has the MLS ever paid a transfer fee for a player before?

22. cleschke

cleschke Member+

Aug 16, 2004
    Fullerton, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes.

I know we (or Drew Carey or whoever) paid somewhere around $1million to buy out Landon's contract in 2005.

I think the league record is still somewhere around $2million which was paid for Ariel Graziani in the late 90's.

I am just going off memory though so the figures may not be 100% correct.

23. ragbone

ragbone Member+

Sep 2, 2005
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But a player that is under contract can only be transferred from one league to another inside one of the official FIFA transfer windows.

24. cleschke

cleschke Member+

Aug 16, 2004
    Fullerton, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not 100% sure, but I think our transfer window is still open. Our windows are reversed. We've got about three months in the winter instead of the one that the standard European leagues get and roughly one month in the summer as opposed to the three that the Euros get. So in essence, at this point, while players may not transfer into a league where the window is already closed, they may still transfer into ours. It has to do with the fact that we've got a summer running league. Or at least thats how I understand it. Does anybody know if any of the Scandanavian countries or Russia which has similar league schedules to us have the some sort of transfer windows?

Also, I think the Donovan transfer from Leverkusen actually occured in early March, didnt it?

25. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Correct. Players in MLS can no longer transfer into Europe (unless already under loan - see Beckham/Donovan). But players can transfer into MLS until sometime in early April, IIRC.