Now, stop linking us with every CB in Europe - LFC Transfer Thread

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by Suss, Feb 2, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Suss

Suss Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 11, 2003
    New York
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    I think Ings would be very expensive, and we should be looking at younger targets if we are looking to add to our forward options. Plus, he does not fit in our current system. Traditional centerforwards have struggled to find a place in Klopp’s Liverpool team. Sturridge, Origi, Brewster, and Ings himself.

2. delaynomo

delaynomo Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    But he would be a much more likely to come up with a goal out of nowhere than Origi or Minamino when chasing a game?

That being said, I agree it's unlikely to happen for the reasons mentioned.

3. oikos

oikos Member+

Feb 3, 2010
    Glastonbury, CT
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Like Ings but no to LFC. We need younger player for the next group with Jota. Elliot will get some playing time next year close to but not the number of starts as Jones. We need someone else 20-22 range. I heard about this guy Mbappe who would fit the bill.

Suss repped this.
  4. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Marseille's 24-year-old Croatian centre-back Duje Caleta-Car was left devastated after a deadline-day move to Liverpool did not materialise.

5. Suss

Suss Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 11, 2003
    New York
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    There were a ton of names that Liverpool showed strong interest in. I think all of those names will still be on the table for the summer. We aren’t committed to keeping Kabak. Davies can easily be moved on or turned into a squad player. I like how Liverpool brought in some players with very high upside while simultaneously keeping all of their options open.

I don’t blame the guy for being devastated. He probably started to dream of playing in the European Cup final this season.

LiverpoolFanatic repped this.
  6. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC

I was a bit surprised by the Minamino loan - but with Shaq's resurgence and Thiago now embedding into midfield, we have different options to cover for the creativity of Firmino either when he is not playing or not creating. With Shaq injurted and no Thiago, Minamino was the only real continuity option....

7. Samarkand

Samarkand Member+

May 28, 2001
    On the Ings thing, I know stranger things have happened, but there are a number of compelling reasons to think it unlikely.

1. Age (for a forward).
    2. Position - he’s more a straight up old fashioned No. 9 rather than a mobile, across the front 6 player.
    3. Injuries.
    4. A move to LFC would be a step up, no doubt, but would he be happy with an appearance ratio like say, Origi?
    5. Contract - he’s going to want 3+ years.

I might just have to put this rumor into my friend’s 40% inaccuracy rate. You never know, but I think it unlikely.

speker repped this.
  8. Wingtips1

Wingtips1 Member+

May 3, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Real Madrid have joined the race to sign reported Liverpool target and Sporting Lisbon forward Pedro Gonçalves, according to reports.

9. delaynomo

delaynomo Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    newterp repped this.
  10. hubbabubba

hubbabubba Moderator
    Staff Member

May 17, 2002
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So who will LFC replace Milner and Henderson with (thinking a year or so in advance)? We’ve got Curtis coming in, but I see him further up the field. While we have a couple of years still with Henderson, my guess is we will need to replace Milner perhaps as early as next year. We also will have to find a replacement for Gini. So who? Since two of these are domestic, we probably need another UK citizen replacement. Three that seems to be playing relatively well are Jack Grealish, James Maddison, and Declan Rice. Seems like an area that we really will need to focus on in the next couple of years. Perhaps TAA could move in from RB, but we’d need a replacement for him if we do this.

11. Wingtips1

Wingtips1 Member+

May 3, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Thinking more holistically about the squad right now.

We've got 3 injured centerbacks.
    We've signed an always injured LB.

We've got in midfield:
    Perma crocked Keita
    50/50 fit or not Ox
    Thiago only has a record of being available for 2/3 of his professional career
    Milner at 112 years old
    And a likely to depart Gini.

A front three that is aging (Bobby is already 29, Sadio turns 29 in a couple months, and Mo will be 29 before the start of next season) with their backup a now injured Jota and Origi likely to depart.

This is what our opening day squad could (assuming VvD and Gomez are fit and ready) look like:

Allison
    TAA Gomez VvD Robbo
    Fab
    Hendo Thiago
    Jota Salah Mane

Kelleher
    Neco ___ Kabak Tsimi
    Berge
    Jones Ox
    Shaq Daka Bamba

If its me, I'm letting Matip (seriously, anybody can have him), Keita (should get a german club to pay 20m), Bobby (an Italian club surely will pay 20m), Origi (getting 10m is good business) and Taki (likely a german club for 10m) all leave. (But the Europeans are going to continue to sit on their hands and cower in fear as always and we're likely to have another season with no/few fans, so our comings/goings will be minimal and cheap).​

If Kabak is signed permanently I don't think we'll do another CB signing (though I'd still be looking for another solid, reliably fit player to bring in - Conor Coady anyone? Would solve part of our homegrown problem, too).
    I think we're still in need of a CM. Sign a relegated Berge to replace Gini? I'm all for that. Others we've been linked to are Bissouma and Sanches, neither of whom thrill me.
    I think a player that can be a focal point in attack is necessary, so I'd look to Daka or Cunha. And we'll still need another player for depth purposes, so I'd look at Wamangituka or Bamba.
    I know people will be saying, "What about Elliott?" but let's be real, are we going to see a 19 yr old play significantly next season? Unlikely. He's most likely to have the biggest impact in 2022 as Shaq's replacement on this depth chart.

There is a lot of work to do in the next two summer windows as players age out and move on. I'm interested to see how the club reacts to the need to refresh the squad and stay on top. Making the moves I've listed would require a net spend of ~50m, a figure unlikely to be given the green light by FSG, so most of this likely moot. And this all assumes we have finished in the top 4 and have CL cash coming in the door next year. If we finish 5th, god help us as FSG won't spend a nickel.

12. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    I don't have time to work through all this, but the first things that hit me was:
    We've signed an always injured LB.

he's been on the bench the past few games. "always injured"? jeez ...

13. delaynomo

delaynomo Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Also need to differentiate between COVID absence and injury.

SamScouse repped this.
  14. Wingtips1

Wingtips1 Member+

May 3, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    after being available for about 4 games in the first 5 months of the season.

15. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    he had Covid. he wasn't injured.

16. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    he had covid and had an injury almost back to back. then came back and got that shit knee injury. he's been available for 3 weeks now.

Wingtips1 repped this.
  17. delaynomo

delaynomo Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
  18. delaynomo

delaynomo Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
  19. speker

speker Member+

May 16, 2009
    Canada
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
  20. delaynomo

delaynomo Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Stop bragging about the size of your radar.

imasyko and speker repped this.
  21. speker

speker Member+

May 16, 2009
    Canada
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Another top prospect signs.....16 yr old Kaide Gordon
    [​IMG]

22. CB-West

CB-West Member+

Sep 20, 2013
    NorCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    A lefty?:eek:

I read a funny article about how Leeds Utd. has more lefties than any other team in the PL...:rolleyes:

23. Wingtips1

Wingtips1 Member+

May 3, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Links to Raphinha from Leeds....he's done well in his first season in the league...4 goals and 4 assists...

24. imasyko

imasyko Member+

May 16, 2002
    Spring City, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I read that with sleepy eyes and thought it said Rapinoe - and thought 'she's too old to get up and down the wing anymore...' :)

25. speker

speker Member+

May 16, 2009
    Canada
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Carra thinks Liverpool will need to make at least 3 marquee signings this summer and I tend to agree with him.

“They need three players to come in, they need that centre-back, maybe he’s here now in Kabak. Someone to replace Wijnaldum and they need someone in the front three and I’m not talking about players on the bench.

Wingtips1 repped this.