Now it's a 3-way trade for Ruiz?? This is getting ridiculous

Discussion in 'FC Dallas' started by drace768, May 18, 2007.

1. drace768

drace768 New Member

Jan 29, 2004
    Dallas, TX
    Allen Hopkins just mentioned a possible 3-way trade in his MLS News & Notes on ESPN. Gaven to Chivas-Guevara to FCD-Ruiz to Columbus. This is getting a little ridiculous, but the whole trading Ruiz thing is not going away, which makes me wonder if this story actually has legs.

2. ScottyB10

ScottyB10 Member

Nov 21, 2005
    Waco, Texas
    Write me down as one who is not a huge fan of Allen Hopkins, he sounds akward everytime he talks, and there's no way in hell that Hitch is dumb enough to take a guy like Guevara, or however you spell it...

3. Dr. Foosball™

Dr. Foosball™ New Member

Dec 23, 2006
    Hot Springs, AR
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It doesn't make any sense to me. "Che" wanted to play here because Pescadito plays here. No Ruiz, no Guevara.

4. Beech

Beech Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Kansas City
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hasn't Guevarra already been loaned back out to his Honduran club for the remainder of the season?

5. 3rd Degree

3rd Degree Member

Feb 6, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Morrow is not dumb

No one is untouchable

Ruiz is a big game player with big value. Guevara as low value right now as two teams ave gotten sick of him and tried to deal him.

A Ruiz trade will have huge value in return.

6. Stogey23

Stogey23 Member+

Dec 12, 1998
    San Diego, CA
    Why would Dallas want Guevara with Toja, Richetti, Nunez, and Dax playing well?

7. boomersooner027

May 13, 2004
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    Bahamas
    I wouldn't give up any of those 4 players for Guevara right now, much less Ruiz.

8. drace768

drace768 New Member

Jan 29, 2004
    Dallas, TX
    Buzz, understood and I agree that the deal stated won't happen. I know no one is untouchable, and I thought the trade talks were a knee jerk reaction to Ruiz going AWOL, but the fact their not dying down is the concern. Do you have any insight on if FCD is actually shopping Ruiz or are other teams going after him and FCD is just listening to offers?

9. 3rd Degree

3rd Degree Member

Feb 6, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ok sure.

FCD is not shopping Ruiz. Other teams see Ruiz being benched and call.
    it's the way these thing go, just like when every team in the league called NE after Joseph had his little contract problem. When you have a solid team, other teams will want your players. FCD gets calls all the time asking about players

I am sure that when teams call and ask about Ruiz, FCD will listen to the offer... just as they would for every player. But I am also sure they laugh into the phone at almost all of them.

I can confirm that FCD did get to something with Guevara last week, but Morrow pulled out of the deal as he felt Chivas was asking for too much. He's not going to turn around now and send Ruiz for him... Ruiz would be way more than whatever it was before. Why would Morrow now go more than he balked at last week?

The only way I see something happen for Ruiz is if
    1. Someone offers something silly and
    2. Morrow has something else lined up at forward...

this is not the first time that 3 way rumor has surfaced... it's not a new one. Some people, it appears, are more willing to float a rumor as news than others.

hell if it comes to it, I'd rather have Gaven than Guevara

10. Ghost

Ghost Member+

Sep 5, 2001
    Any trade would happen a) after the team sees how it plays without him. b) possibly after the heavy upcoming friendly schedule. c) later, when teams get a little more desperate and FCD can get more for him.

I would guess, anyway.

11. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dallas traded a major allocation (I believe it was the top ranking allocation at the time though I may be mistaken) for Ruiz. That pretty much established a baseline value for the guy.

So the question really is whether Guevara is value equivalent to a top allocation.

And clearly he is. The only debate is whether he fills a need for you.

The bottom line is that I can see why Columbus might want Ruiz, and I can see why Dallas would want Guevara, but I have no Earthly idea why Chivas would want Gaven, except that they're basically irrational.

12. boomersooner027

May 13, 2004
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    Bahamas
    Guevara is not worth a top allocation anymore....no way.

13. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Several problems here are that Gaven and Guevara have kind of slipped in the last few years while Ruiz has not. So for Dallas more would have to come their way because their player at this moment would have the highest value of the three. Chivas would take Gaven because they only get a small allocation if Guevara ends up back home.

14. 3rd Degree

3rd Degree Member

Feb 6, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Chivas set the bar for him at Nagamura and a draft pick.
    and that for sure isn't worth an allocation.
    that's saragosa and a pick in FCD terms.

15. texgator

texgator New Member

Oct 28, 2003
    Plano
    Well, can you explain it to me then, because I can't figure out why they would.

16. bvolt3000

bvolt3000 New Member

Sep 9, 2006
    Nashville
    trade ruiz now
    our team is so much better with him on the bench hands down
    get him outta here

17. SeventhRowScreamer

Jan 26, 2007
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You don't need rumors to tell you that next year fish's contract will be way over valued and that will be big $$$ that can go to a DP that will positively affect the team. Guevararararrarara is gone and gone some more. He's the part of the story that is not happening. Ruiz will wear another team's colors next year. Who knows about this year? Without ROB fish is fried.

18. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For Saragosa and a pick and maybe Chivas knocking down part of the salary what's to wonder? If he washes out return to what you have now. If he takes it seriously you have a former MVP on the cheap. I guess Chivas figured they didn't want to help a conference rival that much and will see what they get in allocation money.

19. texgator

texgator New Member

Oct 28, 2003
    Plano
    Soooo...take a team that is playing very well together, that is just learning how to play as a team and introduce a known personality issue? Is that really what you would do as manager of this team right now?

20. 3rd Degree

3rd Degree Member

Feb 6, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hopkins is just grasping at straws...

here's a line from Steve Davis' recent work...

21. fennsk

fennsk New Member

Jan 30, 2007
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Excellent point, Tex. If you trade Ruiz it's for a character guy that can help a little right now, and some picks and/or allocations that help in the future. FCDs main needs right now are more defensive depth, and a little wing play. Overall I'd mostly expect to gain enough cap room to pursue whoever FCD wants in the summer window.

22. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am throwing out hypotheticals. Since I am not the manager of the team I don't have the advantage of watching the players train every day. I don't get to watch detailed tape of FCD's games and other team's games. I don't know of scouts and other resources who can vouch for someones character or expose them as a problem. I am basing hypotheticals on the slim knowledge we all have. So with that little knowledge if Guevara might be a big upgrade over Nunez at very little cost I would think about acquiring him.