Now go win the CCC and get yourselves to the FIFA Club World Championship!

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by Wallydrag, Nov 15, 2004.

1. Wallydrag

Wallydrag BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 24, 2002
    Oklahoma City
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If they can hold this team together during the off season (which I think they'll be able to ((crossing fingers on Nelsen)) ) then I really do have a good feeling about them for next years CONCACAF Champions Cup which in the past didn't really mean sh;t but this time around means a trip to the FIFA Club World Championship and a shot at least a piece of $15 million prize money.

Earnie may bolt but I really don't think that'd be a loss at all. I think he's easily replaceable, even his experience.

If DCU can pick up a good player here and there (I think defense is where they need to put the most effort) then I really do think they got a good shot next year.

2. Detective40oz

Detective40oz Member

Jun 16, 2000
    Fairfax, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Well firstly the chances of them Cancelling the World Club Championship like they do every year is much greater then the even actually taking place.

Secondly the Concacaf Champions Cup is a scheduling nightmare for MLS teams because it happens during the Preseason. I believe the first weeks in March where our teams are not match fit, many new players are being brought into the fold doesn't show MLS in it's best light. I'm hoping for a great showing from United, but I expect the CCC to be more of a "lets get in shape and build our team chemistry for the upcoming MLS season" type of event. ALthough it would be great to be champs of CONCACAF :)

3. BudWiser

BudWiser New Member

Jul 17, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    http://www.concacaf.com/view_article.asp?id=2804

I believe a team to make it is Municipal of Guatemala, the team w/Guillermo Ramirez, the team we beat 6-0 at RFK. I believe Municipal made the finals of a Central American tourney, someone can check I could be wrong bout this.

4. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    As someone who's been following the CWC situation very closely, let me tell you that it will take place in 2005. As for DC United's chances, at this point I would clearly put the two MFL teams and Saprissa as the favorites...

5. Colonial717

Colonial717 New Member

Aug 5, 2004
    Arlington, VA
    Umm, for someone who doesn't really pay attention to the rest of concacaf club soccer who will we be playing in this little shindig?

6. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    CFU: Series Winner of Harbour View FC (JAM) vs. Tivoli Gardens FC (JAM)
    Mexico (2): Pumas UNAM, TBD
    USA (2): D.C. United, Kansas City Wizards
    UNCAF (3): CD F.A.S. (SLV), CD Olímpia (HON), CSD Municipal (GUA) or Deportivo Saprissa (CRC)

8 teams total...

7. spidergoose

spidergoose Member

Nov 2, 2004
    Annapolis
    Club:
    DC United
    What determines the second Mexican team? Anyone?

8. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Whoever wins the next championship. Playoffs start in a couple weeks.

9. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Apertura winner.

10. Wallydrag

Jul 24, 2002
    Oklahoma City
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just want to clarify that I'm not saying that DCU is going to be the favorites. I'm just saying that of all the 10 MLS teams that could have competed in this tourney, DCU has the best chance of winning it.

I agree that the scheduling is crap with our season and that when it starts are players won't 1)be quite match fit yet 2)have their timing down and the gelling that they'd have mid-late season.

I'm just saying they've got the best shot.

And SwissGCZ is correct. Come hell or high water, it looks like the CWC is going to happen.

11. greatscott

greatscott Member+

Dec 21, 2002
    Richmond
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

yeah i agree. ive been doing my research on it too and it looks like its gonna happen.
    And youre exactly right, of all the teams i would put DC as our best bet for MLS to win it. even during our struggling period we were doing well against dirty ol' south teams.

12. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Still in denial about the 5-2 agg loss to the Guatemalan Phone Company* in 2002? ;)

*Comunicaciones

13. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    Where is this being played this time around?

14. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Home and away.

15. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Yep, it has been since 2002...

Quarterfinal Series
    First leg – 9 March
    Second leg – 16 March

Semifinal Series
    First leg – 6 April
    Second leg – 13 April

Final Series
    First leg – 4 May
    Second leg – 11 May

[EDIT] All historical CCC info can be found here: http://www.rsssf.com/tablesc/ca1.html

16. Flyin Ryan

Flyin Ryan Member

May 13, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know the CONCACAF, Oceania, Asia, and Africa continental club champions go to Club World Championship in Japan, but the Champions League and Copa Libertadores winners are not explicitly written as going to the event. For anyone who knows, is this an attempt to needle out of the event and having the Intercontinental Cup elsewhere while having the likes of the Irish and Bolivian champs going to Japan?

17. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    The Intercontinetal Cup will be "absorbed"

FIFA Club World Championship to replace Toyota Cup from 2005:
    http://www.fifa.com/en/media/index/0,1369,101512,00.html?comp=CWC&year=2000&articleid=101512

18. SixKick

SixKick Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 13, 2000
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Man, looking at those scores it makes you wonder, did MLS teams lose interest in the tournament as the years went on or did the rest of the continent start to care more?

19. Sempuukyaku

Sempuukyaku Member+

Apr 30, 2002
    Seattle, WA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Well:

#1) As has been mentioned before MLS clubs are in pre-season form, while going up against other clubs that are in top form.

#2) There's never been anything to play for until now. Now that the winner goest to the world club championship there's A LOT at stake here.

20. rugman

rugman Member

Oct 13, 2003
    Annapolis
    This is assuming a lot and at this point I still want to bask in the light of yesterdays huge win. I disagree that Earnie is easily replaceable.

21. Wallydrag

Jul 24, 2002
    Oklahoma City
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's fine but I still maintain my position. Right now Earnie Stewart is the flavor of the day. He had a great MLS Cup final and did relatively well during the playoffs however over the course of the season he was mostly a non-factor and at times a liability. I hate to say it, but it's almost like Bobby Convey. He's a very good player but while he was there he didn't do anything and once he left the team was better and that's just the way it is.

Earnie's post-season was great but let's not forget his regular season. I think DCU will be better served bringing in another player and/or having someone normally on the bench as a sub (Gros comes to mind) playing in his place. We'll just have to see what happens in the off-season but I sincerely don't think that next year we'll feel like something's missing when Earnie's not there.

22. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Once the format changed to home & away it was downhill for MLS teams.
    That is debatable (it's still nice to be Concacaf Champion), but getting whacked 6-0 is simply embarrassing - no matter what...

23. The Truth Commission

Mar 29, 2000
    Parts Unknown
    Though a Columbus fan at heart (no idea why after this season), you'll have at least one fan present in Tokyo if your club makes it here next winter. Hopefully they'll take the Concacaf Crap Cup seriously (unlike Columbus did against Morelia).

24. GrillMaster

GrillMaster Member

Aug 31, 2000
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Concur. It's very embarassing for the Central American country to showcase the corruption of the regional referees.

US teams have suffered unbelievable calls in those Central American venues. I can't speak for other visiting teams, who probably have also suffered from the graft.

A bunch of us are going to have to show up and make sure the "referee" understands that there are two sides to pressure.

GM

25. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    The quarter finals are in preseason and the semis are just after the MLS season kicks off.

Hopefully, we can get to training a little early, like say, next week.

Sachin