[NOVA] Judgment Day: Intelligent Design on Trial

Discussion in 'Spirituality & Religion' started by Ombak, Nov 12, 2007.

1. Samarkand

Samarkand Member+

May 28, 2001
    Does it bother you that they try and foist their (unscientific religious) beliefs on the rest of us as science?

2. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire

Are we not men?

3. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
  4. Pingudo

Pingudo New Member

Nov 18, 2003
    Santa Cruz
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Very well put. I have to give you rep for your post.

5. Norsk Troll

Norsk Troll Member+

Sep 7, 2000
    Central NJ
    The students of Dover, PA, and by extension, all of us.

6. NMMatt

NMMatt Member+

Apr 5, 2006
    It really doesn't help that Darwin was an English twat. If he'd been American, or Canadian, Scottish or even German or something, we'd be far more accepting of his ideas.

7. NMMatt

NMMatt Member+

Apr 5, 2006
    What I don't understand about Creationists is this.

Is the global flood story reasonable? No. Not at all. Is turning water into wine by simply saying some words or whatever? Not in the least. Is rising from the dead possible? Of course not. Yet creationsists believe all these things on faith and I think the vast majority wouldn't necessarily expect scientists or public schools to adjust their curriculums accordingly. But for whatever reason, even though their creation ideas are just as unreasonable, in this case they want to ignore what the science clearly shows, but not on faith like all the other cases, rather they want to act as if science is wrong or scientists somehow are corrupt in this case and that their miraculous beliefs are more reasonable. What is so different about the creation miracle than all the other miracles described in the Bible?

8. TheSlipperyOne

TheSlipperyOne Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Denver
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Don't you know that Adam and Eve road dinosaurs to church on Sundays?

9. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    So, science won.

I knew it.

10. Norsk Troll

Norsk Troll Member+

Sep 7, 2000
    Central NJ
    Creationism feeds man's need to feel special. A higher being wanted there to be "us", and thus we are. The idea that we simply happened to come about through natural processes, worst of all developing from "lower lifeforms", is upsetting to the human arrogance of self-importance.

11. DJPoopypants

DJPoopypants New Member

Dr Who?

12. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Good point. Maybe they should sue the winemaking schools, because they fail to teach the biblical alternative method of winemaking. :D

13. FlashMan

FlashMan Member

Jan 6, 2000
    'diego
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    here in California we're having a massive drought. the "alternative" method probably wouldn't work.

:)

as for the global flood, i hear Noah was a good swimmer, he just didn't get much press for it...

14. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    O/T but isn't drought good for vineyards?

15. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Yes, it's remarkable innit?

If the creationist theory is correct, why would we even need to reproduce? We might want to try since we'd all look like Brad Pitt or Michele Bundchen, but wouldn't people just get created by the great creator?
    Or is that great creator just lazy on top of being a sexist, racist, ego-maniac and calls it a career after making one male and one female? :p :rolleyes:

16. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Not if you use the 'turn water into wine' method, favored by Jesus.

17. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Creationism and Religion in general make sense if seen as methods of political control

George Bush says Iran is about to cause a holocaust and people believe that on faith without one scrap of evidence. Is it so hard to believe the power of ancient speeches from the pulpit about great floods 1000's of years ago?

18. topcatcole

topcatcole BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 26, 2003
    Washington DC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Perhaps you can get your favorite religious folks to reverse the process and relieve the drought!

19. topcatcole

topcatcole BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 26, 2003
    Washington DC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What is hard to believe is that those speeches given 1000's of years ago still have power. Very few of us here would realistically question whether the Roman, Greek or Tsimshan creation myths were anything more than just that, myth. Yet, there are many here among us who will defend to the death their own equally unsupported beliefs.

20. Norsk Troll

Norsk Troll Member+

Sep 7, 2000
    Central NJ
    Yeah, I'm sure that's going to work for the Georgia rain prayer session today.

Maybe we shouldn't have slaughtered so many Indians, and they could do a rain dance for us - that would probably be as effective.

21. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I don't care how long the drought lasts.

No creationist is messing with my wine cellar.

22. FlashMan

FlashMan Member

Jan 6, 2000
    'diego
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I consider myself a Christian - an eclectic one, but nonetheless - and I believe in the power of some Shamanism over the elements. A Native American "rain dance" actually could prove effective under certain conditions.

Heck, for me, Jesus was obviously a Middle Eastern holy man, and along with that, he had a bit of the Middle Eastern magician about him. It appears he had some sway with the elements, at least at certain times. I don't know anything about the "Georgia rain prayer session", and I haven't clicked on your link, but to me it's basically "non-scientific" to believe humans can't, at times, influence the elements by conjuring up the spirits...or however you might define it.

You probably think I'm a bit of a fruit loop for believing so, but I know too much about this world - scientific and otherwise - to believe anything else.

23. benztown

benztown Member+

Jun 24, 2005
    Club:
    VfB Stuttgart
    Not unless that damn Chinese butterfly finally stops interfering with our weather...

24. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    The weather channel also can prove effective under certain conditions.

25. FlashMan

FlashMan Member

Jan 6, 2000
    'diego
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Like I say, I wasn't following the Georgian thing, but on my way home from work they related the story on the radio news, and they said the same thing: the weatherpeople were predicting rain anyway.

Anyway, if they were serious rainmakers, a mere shower would prove nothing.
    What they're trying to conjure up is enough rain to quench their thirst, a little 40 day, 40 night kind of thing, enough to get their water system back up and running.

I guess we'll see how good they are at their work.