Not This Again. Whitecaps may change name.

Discussion in 'Vancouver Whitecaps' started by steven nevets, Mar 18, 2009.

1. Unak78

Unak78 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 17, 2007
    PSG & Enyimba FC
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Nigeria
    It seemed to me that the MLS was putting pressure on the Sounders to change thier name, and may be doing the same here. Who knows, maybe it's simply a marketing ploy to build excitement, but it is obvious what the right outcome should be.

Personally I like Euro-style names but when there is an established brand with history; especially when that history can be traced back to the 70's; then that should take preference. Plus names like Sounders, Earthquakes, Whitecaps or Timbers where some of the better names to come out of the NASL era. Montreal could even change their name to the Olympique if they get in.

2. Andy Bulldog

Andy Bulldog Member

Dec 17, 2007
    Alabama
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would like to see Vancouver have the name Whitecaps. The only way, I would be against it, is if USL retains "the Vancouver Whitecaps" club. But what happens if they do get the name Whitecaps, and then later the team folds or moves? MLS could claim ownership of the name and Vancouver USL etc could lose the name.

Either way, Congrats on landing a MLS Club.

3. Mattbro

Mattbro Member+

Sep 21, 2001
    At least they're not called the Rowdies.

4. loben52

loben52 New Member

Mar 26, 2008
    Vancouver
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Total marketing ploy

as they said, the Whitecaps name has too much equity built in. Seattle already set precedent that a USL name can be used. They will just rebrand the name and move on.

5. Macsen

Macsen Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 5, 2007
    Orlando
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What, take off the FC? The USL name is officially Vancouver Whitecaps FC. It would be the exact reverse of the Sounders situation.

I hope you guys end up named TSV Real Vancouver. :rolleyes:

:p

6. MBurmy

MBurmy New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    The USL club's final two seasons in Vancouver will be 2009 and 2010-after that, no more Vancouver Whitecaps FC in USL-1 (might sell the franchise rights to a group in, say, Victoria).

So in 2011 Vancouver's MLS team would be free to use the Whitecaps name.

7. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006
    Greg, you're making it soooo easy these days.

So do you think Vancouver will use the same marketing ploy Seattle did? ;) j/k

8. RedRover

RedRover BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 15, 2007
    People! It's gonna be Vancouver Whitecaps, or Vancouver Whitecaps FC, ala Seattle. Bob Lenarduzzi spent the day before the announcement saying that there was nothing to the rumors that Vancouver was going to get a team. Now he's saying the Whitecaps monikor is not assured. Do you think someone, who helped lead the Vancouver WHITECAPS to the Soccer Bowl '79 championship would allow his newly minted MLS side to be called anything other?

9. RedRover

RedRover BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 15, 2007
    Uh, who are these SONDERS you're talking about? Is this another Pacific Northwest team in another major soccer league? :confused: ;) :D

10. kazakal28

kazakal28 Member

Feb 22, 2008
    Weymouth
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    WHAT THE HELL, the whole reason I (and many other I assume) rooted for Vancouver and Portland would be for Whitecaps/Timbers/Sounders, I mean Sounders stuck with it, I dont think you can have one without the others in the case? Does anyone agree?

11. DCUdiplomat96

DCUdiplomat96 Member

Mar 19, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i agree i think the MLS should embrace the NASL legacy more like some of the teams. i mean the positives. You have to be real stupid not to have a Vancouver team and or protland team without embracing something from its past. congradulations.....

12. JohnnyRanger

JohnnyRanger Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 30, 2008
    Vancouver
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    Guys I think this is much ado about nothing.

The Caps will use this "rebranding of the caps" as a marketing ploy and vehicle to buildd hype with 5 year old kids sending into the local papers their ideas on what the kits should look like and to name the team....and at the end of the day "Whitecaps FC" will remian the official name of the side.

13. PG Tips

PG Tips Member

Oct 5, 2008
    Vancouver
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Steve Nash interview today with the Sun -

Q: Your circle of friends runs deep. What's the chance of you guys signing a marquis name, much like David Beckham?

Nash: Well, it would be great if it could happen, but it's a tough one because of the timing of guys coming over. I've been lucky enough to meet some of the great players in Europe, and become friends with them, so that would be a lot of pressure on me to say I could land one of them. But if one of the guys I know from Europe would love to come to North America, I'd do my best to get them in a Whitecaps uniform.

Q: That's if you keep the name, you mean. What are your thoughts on the chance the team may lose the Whitecaps moniker?

Nash: That's news to me, so I'm going to defer on that one. I'm certainly 110-per-cent behind the Whitecaps name.

Full interview here - http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/Whitecaps+huge+assist+from+Nash/1409549/story.html

14. DavidP

DavidP Member

Mar 21, 1999
    Powder Springs, GA
    If they do try to change the name, I bet there'll be a near riot. That's like buying your kid a car, then telling him/her that they'll have to drive their mom's station wagon instead (much less cool than a minivan :D).

Go 'Caps!

15. Unak78

Unak78 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 17, 2007
    PSG & Enyimba FC
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Nigeria
    Unlike Vancouver, Portland isn't f@#king around. They're keeping the name, they're keeping the colors,... heck they already had kits ready!

16. Tifosi FC

Tifosi FC New Member

Oct 25, 2008
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Since Portland has confirmed that they will use the Timbers nickname and with Seattle using Sounders as well , it is now inconceivable that Vancouver wont use Whitecaps.

17. Krammerhead

Krammerhead Guest

Good to see Portland is not playing silly games.

18. kazakal28

kazakal28 Member

Feb 22, 2008
    Weymouth
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wonder if Portland will update crest or keep the same exact one? At least if Whitecaps keep their name they will have a presser to announce it and show the new crest, what do portland fans have to look forward to?

19. piltdownman

piltdownman Member

Jun 24, 2005
    vancouver
    Its a gimmick, but I'm confident that the name will still be the Whitecaps.

20. piltdownman

piltdownman Member

Jun 24, 2005
    vancouver
    Its hard to say. Maybe what players they will sign, a possible DP, oh and the many years of games.

21. bright

bright Member

Dec 28, 2000
    Central District
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    More losses, more red-carded players, and more bribed referees. :)

22. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I think this write in thing is really a farce. I mean I don't get what Don Garber is trying to prove with this? I'm sure he is leading this thing. He seemed really upset when he was asked before the Sounders were given the name when asked the question of the Sounders. All those other names IMHO were kind of a joke. I mean Alliance? Is this writ in thing more of a ploy to generate more fan interest or what?

23. Krammerhead

Krammerhead Guest

They can look forward to building on their name knowing full well that when they join MLS they will be supporting the same team (in name anyway) that they have been supporter for so many years. They won't have to worry that all of their timbers banners/flags etc will become outdated and useless once they join MLS.

24. gregro

gregro New Member

Sep 1, 2007
    The Emerald City
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree, how can Portland come out and announce that the team will be Timbers and the Whitecaps who have just as much history and even more success in the NASL and USL dosn't come right out and say that the name is Whitecaps?

How can there be any doubt. You guys need to let your owner know how you feel like we did.

Whitecaps is a great name and has a great legacy. : )

Congrats again! Can't wait for 2011!

25. gregro

gregro New Member

Sep 1, 2007
    The Emerald City
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It is possible... Ours was real though. The ownership wanted Sounders but the league balked and gave in to the will of the fans. I spoke to many folks w/in the org it was not a ploy in Seattle but it could work as a ploy for Vancouver. :)