Not Messing About - The Brandon Williams Thread

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Sofabloke, Oct 31, 2019.

1. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Riding off into the sunset
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Brandon Williams's performance vs Sheffield by the numbers:
    -100% aerial duels won
    -82% pass accuracy
    -7 ball recoveries
    -3 crosses blocked
    -2 chances created
    -2/3 tackles won
    -1 clearance
    -1 shot
    -1 goal
    Definitely not a crisp display overall (not even close as a matter of fact). Was actually surprised that he appeared to be struggling so much in the WB role (particularly with his positioning: was all over the place in the first period).
    But still he hung tough: Ole said he was going to be tested and he was. As long as he learns some valuable lessons, this type of game will serve him in good stead going forward.
    His goal was superbly taken. Shaw needs to watch his 6 and be up to speed pretty quickly once he returns. Because Williams is coming in hot right now and It may not be long before he can make a serious claim for the LB spot.

Such composure though.

2. Sofabloke

Sofabloke Member+

Dec 24, 2003
    Mu
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Luke Shaw - 75 appearances 1 goal
    Brandon Williams - 4 appearances 1 goal

:)

3. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    The kid has got potential. He's fairly technical and he gets stuck in. He has belief, which is very important in young players. Not a popular opinion, but I'm not sour on Shaw. I think Williams ceiling is higher, but I'll be happy if 3 years from now, the fullbacks at our club are AWB, Williams, Shaw, Dalot and Laird.

4. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    you wouldn't want at least one with s-class potential?

5. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    AWB is the best defensive fullback I've seen in quite some time. In defense, he's S class. He can defend the right flank by himself. If we were to land a RW who plays zero defense, having an elite defensive RB would be ace.

Shaw and Williams on the left can play more of a traditional role. I don't think you need to have a wildly effective fullback going forward. Liverpool's pair make everyone else seem pedestrian, but that team is set up for that. They play with 3 CMs whose first and second briefs are to press and hold shape without that protection, Liverpool would be exposed. Hell, United was able to exploit their flanks.

Anonymous_United repped this.
  6. Anonymous_United

Manchester United
    Brazil
    Jul 13, 2018
    He needs minutes to complete the learning curve, should be starting majority of games.

jnielsen repped this.
  7. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #32 Ashur, Nov 26, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2019
    Williams is emerging as a star at United.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/sampil...-as-a-star-at-manchester-united/#78c6445a18f1

Definitely agree with what is said here, as the kid just appears to be legit at this level. In terms of his game and ability, he's already at Shaw's level when he was at Soton and we first got him. But he clearly looks ahead mentality wise, which makes him all the more impressive.
    Love that Ole feels he'll have an important role to play in the league in the coming weeks, having left him behind with most of the senior players. Worth noting also that if people have liked what they've seen from Williams, they need to wait until they get a load of Laird.
    If he can remain healthy and keep on developing the way he's expected to, we'll have another very good/promising young FB on our hands. Those 2 FB spots are really not a major concern for us at this time, given the personnel we have on hand.

8. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]
    Also worth noting that we still haven't lost a game which Williams has started. Of course, it needs to be put in perspective to the number of games Williams has started for us (less than 10) and the quality of the oppo (Chelsea at the Bridge was the strongest team he's faced on paper).
    Putting that aside though, the argument for Williams being our LB going forward is pretty easy for me. Shaw doesn't look in shape, he still hasn't performed decently since his return, safe for one game.
    Williams on the other hand has consistently performed, the one game that can be said he was poor in (vs Sheffield), he still scored an important goal in. He connects better with Rashford, is more effective going forward and has the spirit we are looking for as well.
    Shaw may have more experience, but Williams is the one who has looked like a veteran: as mentioned, it's a pretty easy choice.

9. Sofabloke

Sofabloke Member+

Dec 24, 2003
    Mu
    Club:
    Manchester United FC

10. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  11. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Along with Fred, he's been the only one who looks like he give a shit during this bad spell. I'm sure McT would be in the same boat if he were healthy. Need more guys with that mindset in our team.

Deadtigers repped this.
  12. Sofabloke

Sofabloke Member+

Dec 24, 2003
    Mu
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Not a surprise that Brandon comes back into the team and Rash starts scoring again. Under-rated how a player under/over-performing affects those adjacent.

Anonymous_United repped this.
  13. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Another game for Williams and another mint display. Becoming more obvious with each passing how better he is than anyone else at the club at the LB spot and ultimately how he's deserving of his place atm.
    Pool and Salah will be the ultimate test for him but we can't dismiss what he's consistently done. A good shout for the MotM as far as I'm concerned today. Just love his mentality: the guy's a fighter.

14. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    He had several great moments in this game. I'm so intrigued by his constant underlapping runs and his positioning as an inside forward when we have a 2 or 3 phase attack.

Williams has shown maturity, aggression, pace and good decision making. Really baffling then that we are against Young leaving. You'd have to say on balance, it makes sense to at the very least have Williams and Shaw on equal footing to play most minutes at LB since Young is old.

15. Sofabloke

Sofabloke Member+

Dec 24, 2003
    Mu
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Futbol_Head repped this.
  16. Sofabloke

Sofabloke Member+

Dec 24, 2003
    Mu
    Club:
    Manchester United FC

[​IMG]

CybrSlydr, Anonymous_United and J'can repped this.
  17. jnielsen

jnielsen Member+

May 12, 2012
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I'd like to know his pass accuracy in the final third.

18. SyedZada

SyedZada Member+

May 14, 2008
    Santa Clara
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Reminds me of Irwin.

19. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    he's our only FB who can play a good ball

johno and jnielsen repped this.
  20. SyedZada

SyedZada Member+

May 14, 2008
    Santa Clara
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Dalot? Forgotten man I know.

21. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    he's been mostly RW under Solskjær. so until he goes back there for a bit i don't count him for now

22. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lineker (and Scholes) rave about Williams.

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/football/man-utd-news-brandon-williams-17575863

Another one imo, who quietly could find himself in the periphery of the England national team this summer, if he can keep this up. The competition at LB suggests as much: Chilwell is the undisputed starter but who is the understudy: Rose, Cresswell? Burnley's Taylor might be ahead of those 2 at this time, as far as I'm concerned.
    Still early for Williams but he's another who, with a little luck, could play himself right into contention by season's end.

23. Anonymous_United

Manchester United
    Brazil
    Jul 13, 2018
    Feck England, no need to thrust immature expectations on him.

Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10 repped this.
  24. Sofabloke

Sofabloke Member+

Dec 24, 2003
    Mu
    Club:
    Manchester United FC

25. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    yea drop this national team talk for both him and Greenwood.

they have big enough tasks at club level to focus on plus their development

johno, jnielsen, J'can and 1 other person repped this.