Not a dig, but have the Burn EVER been good?

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by Catfish, Sep 14, 2003.

1. Catfish

Catfish Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I have only really been closely following MLS this season. Seems like the Burn are the bottom feeders of the league. Sorry, I'm one of those evil people that doesn't like the same clubs dominating the league year after year.

2. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    No... this is the first year the Burn have been bad. They've usually been mediocre to good.

They even have some hardware: a 1997 US Open Cup title, which is more than the Metros, Rapids, Metros, Revs, and Metros can say.

In fact, for long term suckitude, you'd have to go with the Metros, who have never made it to a Cup final.

Sachin

3. PFSIKH

PFSIKH Member

Nov 1, 1999
    ClarkVegas
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. Viking64

Viking64 Member

Feb 11, 1999
    Tarheel State
    the Burn were one win from being top of the table two times, just last season. They've been to the semifinals twice, both times missing out on a trip to MLS Cup by a single game. Other than LA, no other team had been to the playoffs every single year. Until this year, few teams had a good record against the Burn, especially at home where they typically won.

That was when the team played at the Cotton Bowl.

Which is all part of the fury we feel towards the new ownership group, the coach, and the team (in that order) for their half-assed attempts to be a franchise this year in a crap stadium.

If the Burn said tomorrow that they were moving back to the Cotton Bowl, I'd say they would make everyone rather nervous, based on a new allocation, probably lots of cap room, 3 first round draft picks, and some player development that took place this year. Then getting Kreis and O'Brien back from injury would make them a whole team again.

But in the hell that is Southlake, you can forget next year too.

5. Catfish

Catfish Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Thanks for information, everyone.

I'm glad that the Burn have not been the league's doormat. I'm not a Dallas fan of any kind, just know that MLS could really be huge in Texas with a large Mexican population and great youth soccer. I'm surprised that Houston doesn't have a team..maybe MLS has them in their sights for expansion.

Thanks again.

6. ButlerBob

ButlerBob Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 13, 2001
    Evanston, IL
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Over the 8 seasons that MLS has been around they have been in the top half of the league for 7 of those years. I was kind of surprised that they let Dave Dirr go. It wasnt' because he had bad teams, just weren't able to make that last hurdle to the MLS Cup. As someone else noted, the Swamp Scum have had more bad years.

In fact you could probably say that the Burn have had a good team for more years that Arsenal hasn't been boring. I couldn't resist the chance to get a dig in.

7. FlashMan

FlashMan Member

Jan 6, 2000
    'diego
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If they were smart, they would rehire him.