Non-Promotion Promotion

Discussion in 'Sporting Kansas City' started by jmatye, Jul 13, 2005.

1. jmatye

jmatye Member

May 14, 2000
    Kansas City, Missour
    Has anyone seen a promotion less promoted than the "Beat the Record" night coming up this Saturday? I realize there are signs up, etc. at Price Chopper super markets, but if that's all there is, why even do it? This is embarassing even for a lame duck ownership. Why do a promotion at all if you're not going to promote it?

2. FreeNachos

FreeNachos Member

Apr 10, 2001
    North Hollywood, CA
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    While I don't think the Wizards fans should be responsible for doing promotions's job...why not? It does seem like a lame duck promotion. Maybe some of you guys can put together some ideas yourself. I still like the slide projector grafitti art.

Remember your audience too...if you're in Midtown, use Adult Swim type humor, you know: "Cool people go to Wizards games. You want to be cool don't you?" or "The Wizards Kick Balls", whatever.

Get Chiefs fans with, "The Wizards...they're like football but with more kicking"

Get girls (and homosexual men) with "We wear shorts"

Do the church thing...everybody has to bring two friends. Tell them you'll buy them a beer or something...you know, like in church.

I need to go to bed.

3. BenC1357

BenC1357 Member

Feb 23, 2001
    KC
    I love your attitude, really do.

I've used this arguement before and I'm going to use it here. I am not on the Wizards pay roll. I do not work FOR them, in the sense that I do not make money to do anything for them. Therefore I should not be, in my own opinion, free labor for them. I do enough by just being me: trying to get friends to games, talking up the team, bringing people when I can, etc.
    I'll come to work every day and do my job, the Wizards FO can do theirs. I understand right now is a special situation where they really have their hands tied, but I've got other stuff in my life. I don't have time to be a walking advertisement for the Wizards 24 hours a day.

And yes, in response to the original post, this BTRN looks more like an average Saturday night. (Although, as I type 96.5 The Buzz just had a commercial advertising BTRN.)

4. kopiteinkc

kopiteinkc Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2000
    Shawnee
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    The new radio station -- Jack FM I believe it's called -- have a BTRN promo too -- why they use the stupid fake English/Aussie accent in the promo I don't know :rolleyes:

Disclaimer: I was channel surfing on my radio :)

5. ksjayhawk1025

ksjayhawk1025 New Member

Jul 12, 2005
    Ya the radio bit i heard advertised it as against Real Salt Lake....not the fake ones

6. Redfoot

Redfoot New Member

Dec 19, 2002
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I saw it mentioned in the Topeka paper last week sometime. It was just a small little thing in one of the sidebars in the sports section.

7. staubio

staubio New Member

Nov 9, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MLSnet shows an attendance of 16,816. Surely it was more than that, wasn't it? Most of the behind-the-goal GA was full.

We aren't breaking any records there.

8. Merlin172

Merlin172 Member

Mar 16, 2000
    Kansas City, Kansas
    It sure looked like more than 17,000 to me. When they announced that in the press box, I was extremely surprised.

9. kcscsupporter

kcscsupporter Member+

Apr 17, 2002
    D17
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    the endzones were as full as the sidelines were empty. the number seemed about right to me.

10. KCFutbol

KCFutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 14, 2001
    Overland Park, KS
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was also surprised it wasn't around 20K. While the sidelines weren't full, there were a fair number of people in the mezzanine level.

Oh well, it was nice to finally see a decent number of people in the stands. At least it wasn't a 0-0 snoozefest.

11. Jarnevic

Jarnevic BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 21, 2005
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We did, however, break the record for the most Dale Jr. t-shirts ever worn to an MLS game.

12. jmatye

jmatye Member

May 14, 2000
    Kansas City, Missour
    What about the record for most sound effects during one game?

13. staubio

staubio New Member

Nov 9, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nah, we'd just be tied with ourselves.