Non-Local Supporters?

Discussion in 'Supporters Abroad' started by JayJay4Pres, Dec 5, 2004.

1. JayJay4Pres

JayJay4Pres New Member

May 10, 2003
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Let me tell you a bit about myself.

First and foremost I HATE the LA Galaxy...always have, since the inception of MLS...I Hate most LA Teams(Only the Clips in NBA get my support)...intially I did not support any club, just rooted for the league really...when I found out Nick Rimando played for Miami Fusion FC I half heartedly rooted for them, when Rimando joined DC I started rooting for them. I thought of throwing my support behind one of the new clubs, but can't bring myself to it(Though RSL is probably #2 now)....I want to be a TRUE fan and support DC with all my spirit. What does DC have in terms of non-local support...how well do the Supporters travel(Particularly to HDC for non MLS Cup games)....Anyone want to help me out?

2. mikedett

mikedett New Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Springfield, Va. USA
    Club:
    DC United
    You just missed a large expeditionary force that was in socal for the final.
    All of the different supporters groups were well represented at the MLS final. You can rest assured that all 3 supporters groups will always be represented at any important game in LaLa land..

I invite you to travel to the House that Bruce Built..and come see and experience the passion of the Barra Brava, Screaming Eagles, and LaNorte next season.

3. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    There's growing support in California.

Since HDC opened I've always organized group ticket purchases for the DC United supporters in diaspora. Sometimes we number about a dozen, other times it'll be over 20. I expect a very good crowd on opening day against Chivas. I've also arranged and/or been part of similar purchases for San Jose, but they're never as well attended.

I've toyed with the idea of setting up a "supporters club/email list/make of it what you wil group" for non-local supporters, but haven't gotten around to it yet. Maybe this will be the off-season that I do. It'd certainly make it easier to organize everything.

4. Red&Black

Red&Black Member+

Aug 30, 2001
    Lot 8
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Burkina Faso
    if you guys want to use the barra site to post information until you get it sorted out let me know. we have plenty of "out of towners" that get our email updates (you don't have to be a member). we certainly get traffic from california, you might reach some folks. we met some folks from there who were united fans, i'll see if any one got their contact info. you guys should tell rimando, some of his cousins stopped by the "postgame" tailgate-that-was-not-a-tailgate.

you might want to contact K, i believe several SE members (and "alumni") live out there (all these people might already be in your rotation).

that would be cool if you guys set up something--some teams don't even have one decent supporters group--we'd have one 3000 miles away.

if you wanted to organize to the "fan club" level, you'd be welcome to be a "barra affiliate"--we could work something out to help you get started for low/no cost and less commitment of time to "ramp up"

5. mikedett

mikedett New Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Springfield, Va. USA
    Club:
    DC United
    Thats what I like about Rob...he is always on the ball...Barra West ....hmmm should they have to Prospect for a season before we give em colors ? :D

6. ButlerBob

ButlerBob Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 13, 2001
    Evanston, IL
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm here in the wilderness of Chicago ;) . I know that there are a couple of other DC United fans in the area. Most of the time I'm current on my Screaming Eagle's dues. I try to make it back to at least one or two games a season.

7. JayJay4Pres

JayJay4Pres New Member

May 10, 2003
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey, just checking in.

I think if we want to make DC the best Road team as well as the best home team, we need fans in every MLS City. That said, if any of the other LA(So Cal) guys/girls want to start discussing a name and such and how we will organize at games and such. Imagine what would happen if DC Utd had a set of supporters at every MLS venue. DC Comes to LA twice next year, let's make sure we show our support.

As for a name, I like the sound of Barra West, as it will tie us with one of the established groups. If it is ok with them of course. If anyone needs to get a hold of me my email address just changed...

sjt8184@gmail.com

Let's get this thing rolling.