No Yellow Kits in '21?

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by BlacknGold, Jan 16, 2021.

1. BlacknGold

BlacknGold Member

Sep 10, 2008
    Houston
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What in the fresh hell?

1350589414263705604 is not a valid tweet id

2. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They are tryong to kill the yellow jerseys, apparently.

Booooooo!

Hope this is not the case.

3. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #3 Kryptonite, Jan 16, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2021
    This isn't 1996. 4k TVs are common. 8k TVs can be bought...for a price.

Blue vs green
    Red vs yellow
    Red/white Stripes vs solid red

Bring it on.

TKyle repped this.
  4. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Haslam Out.

electrickeeper repped this.
  5. Minnman

Minnman Member+

Feb 11, 2000
    Columbus, OH, USA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Okay, maybe. But what kind of a ********ing, half-baked website are we looking at? Footy Headlines?

Look, if we ditch yellow for next season, it would be colossally stupid. But I'm not going to get too wound up about a scoop by a website I'd never heard of until ten minutes ago.

Robbo Crewfan and Pauncho repped this.
  6. WhiteHartShame

WhiteHartShame Member+

Nov 16, 2008
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, Footy Headlines seems a little suspect. I could also see how The Crew FO may want to celebrate their new badass, black, stealth fighter of a soccer stadium with all black uniforms for the inaugural season?

Robbo Crewfan and crew2112 repped this.
  7. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe its not relevant but if you click through to their Crew uniform history page both of the 2020 depictions are wrong.

8. runningoz

runningoz Member

Oct 25, 2014
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    FootyHeadlines is normally pretty accurate about the kit info.

HailtotheKing, foozer, Kyle Crew and 5 others repped this.
  9. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I’d heard rumors about this before. Not surprised.

I don’t like it, but we’ve literally got a championship team. I’ll roll with it.

10. Minnman

Minnman Member+

Feb 11, 2000
    Columbus, OH, USA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The team has, of course, had a history of having the occasional jersey that's featured white, or combined white and yellow. I'd be cool with a shirt with a lot of white but where yellow is a major component. The fear, of course, is that we go down the mindless, boring white t-shirt path so many other clubs in MLS have and, in so doing, jettison the one color that uniquely defines the club. Guess it would then belong to Nashville. Gee, that sounds like a masterstroke.

There's a way of using white the respects our roots, and a way that doesn't. Based on the way fans in Columbus react to any hint of this sort of thing, you'd think the team would shy away from making changes that separate it from its history. Guess we'll know soon enough.

As a reminder, recall the club signed a multi-year jersey consultancy deal with Dilley Studio, though it doesn't take effect until 2022. It was an odd 'announcement' in that Crew never actually announced anything. It only appeared on that company's website.

Regardless, I own quite a few yellow jerseys, and for the most part, that's what I'll be wearing to games. The team clearly has been favoring black in recent years, and in general I've liked that look, too. It's just not unique.

11. Bill Archer

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #11 Bill Archer, Jan 17, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2021
    Thats one of the things that sucks about this- taking an original club with an iconic color identity and stripping away that color and handing it over to an expansion team. Crew fans weren't very happy about sharing the color but OK, we get that theres a limit to how many colors there are.

But taking it away and giving it to Nashville is just so typical of MLS. I was under the impression that we now have an ownership which would stand up to this kind of rubbish

But mostly I wish someone would explain the thinking behind having everybody wear white as their second shirt. It makes no sense.

And to top it off: a "monochromatic team crest".

Wow.

12. the_rickler

the_rickler Member+

Feb 9, 2013
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    When did we start running full yellow kits? I was thinking early 2000’s? The black with yellow stripes of the 1996-1997 era are my all time favorite with the 99-2000 black with the little yellow pinstripe and the yellow adidas stripes on the shoulders are a close second. I don’t particularly like them removing the yellow all together but TBH, I don’t really care. We’re still “The Crew” and we’re still in Columbus winning championships.

13. Hamburgler03

Hamburgler03 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 31, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    2021: The year we return to Pleasantville

TKyle repped this.
  14. Bill Archer

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

It was 2000. Full yellow replaced the white with 3 yellow stripes down the front.

15. Tobias C

Tobias C Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Mar 6, 2014
    Toledo, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah they tend to have the real scoop on jersey/kit rumors. I believe it.

Im not into this at all. Just my personal feelings, but I feel like were surrendering our bold image and identity for Nashville to benefit from, and were being pushed to a look more akin to LAFC (I actually like LAFCs look but its theirs, and we already have a more iconic look). I could see our front office thinking that the black primary/home shirt has enough yellow to it, that it preserves enough of the old, while opening them up to try some other stuff to see if they can experiment with some different things for our brand. Myself, I hope they exercise restraint, and dont get too creative. Im not interested in going back down the "For Columbus" road.

Id personally love to see them pay homage to the movement that saved the club, with a yellow and black hooped shirt. Probably wouldnt/couldnt happen this season with a primary black jersey though.

16. GoCrew1996

GoCrew1996 Member+

Jan 20, 2007
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Unfortunately what I heard last year about phasing out the yellow appears true.

TRUJDUB, Kyle Crew and Bill Archer repped this.
  17. runningoz

runningoz Member

Oct 25, 2014
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Unlike...

18. GoCrew1996

GoCrew1996 Member+

Jan 20, 2007
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Maybe not, actually. I was just told "we will always be a black and gold team". May just be a one year thing.

19. crew2112

crew2112 Member+

Jan 25, 2008
    Dayton, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    The new stadium has yellow “seats” in the Noredecke. Yellow ain’t going anywhere. Calm the F down. Do we need a yellow shirt every F-ing year? No not really. Can we once in a while do a grey and white which happens to be a current style? Yes we can and it ain’t the end of the world.

20. Bill Archer

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My liver thanks you for this. I was on the way to a third bottle of pilot noir.

I love a yellow football team.

GoCrew1996 repped this.
  21. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We tried all-black a few years ago. We looked like DC U*ited.

When I think "all-white" I'm reminded of those Earth Day jerseys. Those... weren't a good look. Someone else might have looked good in them, but white isn't a Crew color.

Between the Fifth Anniversary jerseys, the #ForColumbus jerseys and the Earth Day jerseys, can we all agree that these special "one-off" jerseys aren't a good look?

And yes. Yellow is our color. It needs to be prominent.

22. the_rickler

the_rickler Member+

Feb 9, 2013
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I’m glad the worst thing we have to bitch about is whether yellow should be a main or accent color. My, how things have changed here in Crewville.

23. Ch(Elsey)

Ch(Elsey) Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 2, 2003
    Green, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is the jersey dark grey/gray or light black?

24. crew2112

crew2112 Member+

Jan 25, 2008
    Dayton, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Adidas calls it “Grey 2”. It’s basically the training jersey color grey. It’s the grey that is found on 90% of new shoes made today.
    Has anyone on this board bought new clothing in the last 5 years? The fact we don’t have grey in our kit ought to be more concerning than how much yellow we have.

25. Ueberjames

Ueberjames Member+

Columbus Crew
    Mar 28, 2009
    Stow, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am thinking I need a new jersey and was waiting to see what the new yellow jersey was going to look like before making a decision. No yellow jersey makes that decision much easier.

RafaLarios, Tobias C, MLSinSTL and 2 others repped this.