No WorldCup for Kalou, agree?

Discussion in 'The Netherlands' started by spoonman, Mar 20, 2006.

1. spoonman

spoonman Member

Sep 6, 2005
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Do you agree with Kalou not getting a passport before the WC?

2. Amsteldam

Amsteldam Red Card

Oct 5, 2005
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    NO..NO...NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That F$%KING C*NT Verdonk has to have her F$&#KING way, doesnt she??!!

This kid has lived in Holland since he was 13, that means he's naturalized plenty IMO.

Oh and btw, in other news today its still perfectly fine for Muslim extremists to be granted asylum in Holland :rolleyes:

3. Rakim_22

Rakim_22 Member

Manchester United
    Netherlands
    Sep 6, 2004
    Florida
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    This is racism. Thats all it is.

4. Amsteldam

Amsteldam Red Card

Oct 5, 2005
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Dont think so Rab, I think Verdonk initially tried to hold her ground, then knew she started to look ridiculous as the thing went on, and then got stubborn cause she didnt want to lose face.

Thats all it was, and she tried to cloak her argument in bureaucracy

5. matty311

matty311 Member

Jul 2, 2003
    Pittsburgh
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Althoug I think Kalou would be a nice addition to the Dutch Setup, but it is not as if he is going to bring Holland a world cup. He is a good sqaud player at best, not a saviour. This whole thing is a distraction the Netherlands doesn't need right ahead of the world cup.

6. Amsteldam

Amsteldam Red Card

Oct 5, 2005
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Matty, noone's saying he'd be the saviour of Holland nor would he even be a starter in vBasten's eyes!

Marco has only said Kalou would be a useful wing sub at best, but he did say he'd be guaranteed a bench spot at the least.

7. richsavare

richsavare Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jan 28, 2003
    New Jersey
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Go figure that politics have played a part in this messy affair. All I can say is that it is very sad for the player.

Solomon does not want to play for the Ivory Coast because of its civil unrest, and the awful treatment of its own people. Its not a safe place, and the boy has more respect for the country that he now lives and works in, but because he does not score high enough on a test he is not qualified.

Kalou is the big loser in this verdict as there is no way he could ever turn out for the Ivory Coast. He must wait and reapply for citizenship as he would look like a complete fool.

What a strange situation for his brother and former Feyenoord man Bonaventure who is Captain for "his" country. I wonder what the talk between the two brothers is?

On a seperate note I remember the same sad treatment of former Ajax player the Angolan born Nando Raphael, who was also turned down by Holland for citizenship even though he was in the country a lot longer than Kalou.

He was eventually forced to look for a new team, (Hertha Berlin) and now is German Youth International on the cusp of the full German team.

Irony or what?

8. Amsteldam

Amsteldam Red Card

Oct 5, 2005
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Yes for sure and I dont blame him for telling Holland to FFFFFFF off!!!

He should go play for the IC and I hope knocks us out in the 1st round on one of his goals (well not really, but you get the idea). :p

9. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    It's very sad for Kalou as he can't play for Holland and can't play for the Ivory Coast now either as he's considered a traitor there. He'll probably end up in the US or Germany where they don't have a problem naturalising people

Well done Mrs Verdonk, you can be proud of yourself.

10. silver bullet

silver bullet Member

May 11, 2004
    Kalou can pick up his dutch passport after the WC. He's young enough to play in future World Cups.

11. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    Would you want to play for Holland if you were treated the way he was? I wouldn't. It's just all so very childish, the way he can now only do an inburgeringstoets in May, after the squad selection deadline. It's almost like Verdonk's taking pleasure out of it.

12. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax

i will bet dollars to donuts you can't name a single US player naturalized as an adult

13. ArnoldVDH

ArnoldVDH New Member

Nov 2, 2004
    Behind My PC
    As a little side note, though still related, I read other reports on a web site which claimed that Johnathan de Guzman, because of the treatment dished out to Kalou, now has second thoughts about playing for Oranje, and he may turn out for Canada instead.

14. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    good, that's exactly what he should be doing

15. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    No footballers, sorry you're right. I was thinking about your track and field people. And your tennis players.

16. DC_Gunner

DC_Gunner New Member

Apr 16, 2005
    DC / Cambridge, MA
    The idea of of immigration officials assesing the skills of a soccer player has always been funny to me. It seems like the potential employer's opinion (in this case the Dutch NT) should be the only relevant one since there's no real coherent reason to import subpar talent. This goest for work permits in England as well,

17. DC_Gunner

DC_Gunner New Member

Apr 16, 2005
    DC / Cambridge, MA
    One thing that's important to remember here is that Solomon isn't just attempting to swtich because Holland is richer, his brother, along with the rest of the Ivoirian team were sent to military camp in the wake of their abject failure at the 2000 CAN, where they were frogmarched on national TV and threatened by soldiers etc...I think that experience might have an effect on a young player.

18. Lord141

Lord141 New Member

Mar 21, 2006
    So will he switch back to Ivory coast now?

19. windycity

windycity Member

Oct 19, 2001
    Where do you think
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    David Regis was naturalized for the US right before France 98

20. DC_Gunner

DC_Gunner New Member

Apr 16, 2005
    DC / Cambridge, MA
    Highly unlikely.
    CIV is pissed at him.

21. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    Exactly. What's hilarious of course is that Verdonk said that 'experts' had assured her that Kalou isn't important for Holland. Now with Cruyff and van Basten arguing that he is, you have to wonder who those experts are.

22. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    He couldn't even if he wanted to. His brother needs to bring big strong boys to protect him whenever he returns to the Ivory Coast as he's received death threats because of this issue, I dread to think what they'd do to Salomon.

23. TheOranje

TheOranje New Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Actually I can. Regis a frenchman( forgot his first name) was naturalized in the months leading up to the 1998 world cup so he could join the American squad.

24. TheOranje

TheOranje New Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Didnt see this post you got there before me:D . I recall Regis not being able to respond in English to reporters prior the World Cup.

25. DSC05

DSC05 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Detroit, MI
    Club:
    --other--
    Wasn't Regis married to an American woman? I think that made things easier for him.