No way Seattle should get a team

Discussion in 'Seattle Sounders FC' started by lfcli30, Jul 9, 2005.

1. YTFC

YTFC New Member

Apr 9, 2000
    Wow. I'll have whatever American English is drinking.

1. Chelsea didn't sell out...only about 40k showed up.
    2. Massive support is not 3000 per match.
    3. If everybody at his school has one or two Sounders shirts, I'm wondering if he's being home-schooled :p
    4. Seattle "fans" have the loyalty of cats. Look at Mariner and Husky football ticket sales--three years ago they were all sold out. Why are Husky basketball games all sold out now? They used to draw less than the Sounders.

And if he's so loyal why is his team listed as Liverpool :confused:

2. P1brit

P1brit Member

Mar 31, 2005
    Novi, MI
    Club:
    Swindon Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I thought that everyone was a liverpool fan these days...

3. usscouse

usscouse BigSoccer Supporter

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    Something wrong with that...? :)

4. LMoroney

LMoroney Member

Jan 28, 1999
    Based on this logic there is absolutely no way in heck NY/NJ should get a team. I mean they only got around 1,000 US Supporters to turn up for a Gold Cup Semi Final.

And as we all know NY/NJ has already had a team for 10 years... ;)

5. AmericanEnglish

AmericanEnglish New Member

Jul 15, 2005
    Seattle/New York
    we had 8,000 people show up for the sounders vs sunderland game, and that was without advertisement or anything. For an A league team, thats damn good support, especially when nobody knew about it till afterwards when it got front page sports headlines,

i go to high school in bellevue, soccer is huge among the people my age group, but its hard for them to get going to an a-league level game every week, but there are sounders shirts visible everywhere, not as many as there are man u shirts or beckham shirts, but they are quite present,

Seattle is rich in soccer tradition, marcus hahnemann came from my school, lead us to a state championship about 20 years ago, Keller is from around here as well, back in the days of the NASL the sounders beat man u 3-0, Seattle is prime location for an MLS team, and i think its only a matter of time until someone steps up and pays for it, we got ltos of eccentric billionaires around here

6. sounderfan

sounderfan New Member

Apr 6, 2003
  7. amancalledmikey

Oct 27, 2003
    I have a bindle at this point...
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Is it possible that Seattle fans won't buy into a minor league club and, instead, follow their kids teams? Problem with having a big youth participation sport is that it means you follow your kids around and not necessarily watch pro teams.

For instance, in England, rugby union sides aren't especially well supported because when rugby was an entirely amateur sport, people always supported the local rugby club or the rugby club related to your old school. As a result, you watch your kids play and maybe play yourself for the Vets team or even the 1sts or 2nds and the bigger clubs were always the ones which were in larger areas or had a community relationship, like London Irish.

8. sounderfan

sounderfan New Member

Apr 6, 2003
    Yes. That is one of the plausibale theories. Not sure that MLS would change that situation all that much, or that a rich guys is willing to take the chance that it would change it in Seattle.

9. BulaJacket

BulaJacket Member

Columbus Crew (hometown), Minnesota United (close ties), Colorado Rapids (now home), Jacksonville Armada (ties)
    United States
    May 9, 2003
    Ashtabula, OH / Denver, CO / MN / Jax
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ya know, that original match played now would be a nice little prep for the USMNT in Seattle before WC06, and I would guess a decent draw.