No more just the big blond backup - The comrade Lunin thread

Discussion in 'Real Madrid' started by Hendrix22, Aug 11, 2023.

1. YOUNGSTARS87

YOUNGSTARS87 Yellow C@rd Bandit

Dec 21, 2005
    We literally scored a goal this past weekend from a beautiful ball he placed which Valverde then provided the assist.

This guy has been really good and it shows how it's not only Carlo who falls in love with names on the shirts. If he keeps this up people will give him his credit... maybe lol

Zidane05, Galatico, Anon. and 3 others repped this.
  2. arcane

arcane Member+

Aug 18, 2005
    Philippines
    At the end of the day, you want your keeper to be at foremost a shotstopper. Be elite at that, and at least decent in other areas, and you have yourself a good keeper as a minimum.

Saeta Rubia, Anon. and J-Mezzy repped this.
  3. 4x4s

4x4s Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    It's a bit more varied than that, but at the basic principle, the question you ask yourself is do you feel at peace starting a goalkeeper, and for me, Lunin shook off those initial nerves to establish himself as the starting goalkeeper to the point where he's not a worry for me.

Does that mean he's the greatest goalkeeper in the game right now or even close? Probably not, but you can argue that's not even necessary to succeed.

Zidane05, hector_br, dooda and 1 other person repped this.
  4. Isaías Silva Serafim

Real Madrid
    Brazil
    Dec 2, 2021
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    He's at least the 3rd best goalkeeper of the season. His competitors are Sommer and Hradecky I would say

5. Saeta Rubia

Saeta Rubia Member+

May 28, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Agree. An elite shot stopper who keeps errors to a minimum is great to have. Our best GK in history is arguably Iker who wasn't strong aerially. But he played to his strengths in his prime (2000-12) and didn't risk coming off the line unless he could get to aerial balls. And mostly used punching option if the path wasn't clear. Same with Navas during 3peat. Meanwhile someone like Kepa does the opposite and have given away goals by exposing open goal.

Digital, arcane and Anon. repped this.
  6. J-Mezzy

J-Mezzy Member+

Real Madrid
    Colombia
    Oct 14, 2013
    Orlando
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    He has an immense opportunity to become a Madrid hero over this tie

let’s go

MiamiNative0722 and hector_br repped this.
  7. arcane

arcane Member+

Aug 18, 2005
    Philippines
    He has this opportunity to be unearthered like Iker was. I hope he does well.

J-Mezzy repped this.
  8. 4x4s

4x4s Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    He's going to absolutely fleece the club at the end of the season if it all goes well. :D

9. Saeta Rubia

Saeta Rubia Member+

May 28, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    We have a wage structure and he's under contract until 2025 (Mario and other reliable journos confirmed that club renewed his contract in 2023 for an additional season). Lunin will get a good pay raise. No fleecing and all when the likes of Bellingham and Vini earns less than De Jong in Spain.

Digital and Zidane05 repped this.
  10. 4x4s

4x4s Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Lunin can go and start for a big european club next season for dizzying money if he plays his cards right. He can either earn less with us to potentially find himself behind Courtois, or take a big offer and start for a big club.

He has the leverage here.

11. Saeta Rubia

Saeta Rubia Member+

May 28, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    5-6 ME nett at RM won't be little money. Lunin has as much leverage as Yoro and Davies. Meaning RM knows he will cost a good amount in transfer fee for any club interested just like we will have to pay 50 M or so for Yoro, Davies in similar contract situation.

12. 4x4s

4x4s Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I stand corrected: I thought he had a contract until this summer. Since that's not the case, the tables are turned, a year on the bench next season will surely tank his value.

13. Akramzizou

Akramzizou Member+

Feb 13, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    There is no guarantee Tibo would be ready to start by the beginning of next season, or that he will even be at the level he was before his injuries. I think Lunin probably sees himself with a decent shot of getting good playing time next season, possibly even longer, don't see why he wouldn't renew and then reevaluate at end of 2025.

Excape Goat, Shay Z, Digital and 2 others repped this.
  14. 4x4s

4x4s Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Yeah, i was going from the perspective that his deal would be running out this season. Considering it ends next season, his best option is to arguably push the limits right now and take the best deal on offer, then call for a transfer if he feels left out when Cortouis returns.

Shay Z and Zidane05 repped this.
  15. saadomar

saadomar Member+

Real Madrid
    Mar 21, 2013
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    ESPN FC writes about Andriy Lunin's professional mentality with Real Oviedo Loan:

https://www.espn.com/soccer/story/_/id/39827526/andriy-lunins-path-real-madrid-euro-2024-ukraine

Vector-SS, Shay Z, arcane and 2 others repped this.
  16. arcane

arcane Member+

Aug 18, 2005
    Philippines
    Looks like Lunin has the same obsession with training as with Thibo.

17. robertocarlos3

robertocarlos3 Member+

Jan 9, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    My guess if TC is fit for City, Carlo will chose him, because its Carlo ;)

18. 4x4s

4x4s Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid

Definitely the right move for him, not sure if it's good for us.

Ahmadi8 repped this.
  19. Ahmadi8

Ahmadi8 Member+

Apr 14, 2005
    Bahrain
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Bahrain
    Yup, not a good sign....

Might have to look for an alternative GK from now.

20. 4x4s

4x4s Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Asensio hired the same guy that got him out of the club eventually.

I'm not ready to be totally negative about it but you'd prefer this extention to be as straightforward as possible.

J-Mezzy repped this.
  21. J-Mezzy

J-Mezzy Member+

Real Madrid
    Colombia
    Oct 14, 2013
    Orlando
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Welll

this might end up deciding the whole Courtois vs Lunin debate

22. 4x4s

4x4s Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    It might just be that he wanted professional help for the deal. Lewandowski hired Zahavi as a one off as well.

Wanted to negotiate his way out of Bayern though. :ROFLMAO:

As I said, I fully understand the player. He's been on fire and he wants to capitalize on it.

23. J-Mezzy

J-Mezzy Member+

Real Madrid
    Colombia
    Oct 14, 2013
    Orlando
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia

Yeah and I’m not saying we are done or should be done just because of his agent

but if he is going to play hard ball, we will just stick with our world class keeper that has been huge for us

24. arcane

arcane Member+

Aug 18, 2005
    Philippines
    Club could just give him an extension then sell him afterwards. Lunin has enough value that he shouldnt be lost on a free if it comes to that.

25. Ahmadi8

Ahmadi8 Member+

Apr 14, 2005
    Bahrain
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Bahrain
    He wouldn't, but he would be sold at a cut price value as next season would be his last season.

The only leverage the club would have is that we could bench him for a year. Everyone loses then, that's would be the "PSG thing" to do.