No more just the big blond backup - The comrade Lunin thread

Discussion in 'Real Madrid' started by Hendrix22, Aug 11, 2023.

1. Hendrix22

Hendrix22 Member+

Feb 28, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    #1 Hendrix22, Aug 11, 2023
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2023

I share Ancelotti's sentiment about this. We got this kid a long time ago, trained him, he worked with the best, paid his dues and now its his time to prove he can be Thibaut's successor and long term first choice. Yes he's not spectacular in any area but hes solid and dependable across the board. With some confidence hopefully he builds that charisma needed to be a commanding presence. Luninism will win! :cool:

Digital and arcane repped this.
  2. hector_br

hector_br Member+

Feb 13, 2007
  3. Hendrix22

Hendrix22 Member+

Feb 28, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Our new #1. :) I know hes not very exciting but this is a possibility to claim the goalkeeping position. Thibaut is one of the best goalkeepers in history, but if we stuck with Lunin as his backup and groomed him for so long, this is the make or break moment for him.

He did well recently:

I like his distribution, but he seems too hesitant sometimes. Hes a fine keeper and would easily be a starter for a Betis-tier team, maybe he can still become a great keeper who can start for Madrid.

Digital repped this.
  4. Digital

Digital Member+

Dec 10, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Agree with the above, I’d prefer Bono but I have no qualms with giving Lunin his shot at making the spot his own, he deserves the chance IMO

5. Beowulf112

Beowulf112 Member

Real Madrid
    Croatia
    Jun 3, 2018
    Does lunin occupy non eu spot?ukraine isnt in european union

6. arcane

arcane Member+

Aug 18, 2005
    Philippines
    Give this guy a chance.

Madrid unearthed Iker Casillas through injuries as well I think.

Let's face it, Thibo, although a keeper is getting older and would need a long long time to get his groove back, that is, if he even does after that that type of injury. Plus he still has a ways to go with that contract. What happens to the new shiny GK Flo has just bought then?

saadomar, Raul-7 and Hendrix22 repped this.
  7. 4x4s

4x4s Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Zero trust in him. Thrown in the deep end as well, every mistake will be magnified cause he's got huge shoes to fill

saadomar repped this.
  8. Açores57

Açores57 Member+

Oct 4, 2015
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Sink or swim. The cream of the crop rises, if Lunin has the goods he will deliver. Club invested in this keeper for times like these.

saadomar, Hendrix22 and Digital repped this.
  9. Digital

Digital Member+

Dec 10, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    This will be the case for any keeper that comes in having to follow TC, no matter who it is

saadomar repped this.
  10. 4x4s

4x4s Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Which is why I'd rather keep that risk as low as possible.

11. Digital

Digital Member+

Dec 10, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    IMO if the choice is between Kepa and Lunin the risk will be the same, might be worse for Kepa if everyone automatically expects him to be far better than Lunin just because he was at Chelsea or was a national team keeper, who knows…. big shoes to fill for everyone

12. Lyra

Lyra Member+

Apr 29, 2013
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Lunin is not the answer you're looking for- not as a backup and never as starter in a club like Real Madrid. No hate or anything, he's plain average keeper we all know this.

13. Digital

Digital Member+

Dec 10, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Did well, on to the next game

Halycon repped this.
  14. Lyra

Lyra Member+

Apr 29, 2013
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Did nothing
    Zero threats from athletic club.

Seoul Villan repped this.
  15. AppleBob86

AppleBob86 Member+

Real Madrid
    Jan 11, 2018
    Thread needs locking now Kepa is here :eek:

16. Digital

Digital Member+

Dec 10, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Then we watch football differently, no biggie I imagine you and the person that repped your comment only consider spectacular saves “doing something”

17. Lyra

Lyra Member+

Apr 29, 2013
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    If your definition of “doing well” for a goalkeeper is limited doing the most basic things a mid table goalkeeper would do without much noise, then yes, he did well.

18. Digital

Digital Member+

Dec 10, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    #18 Digital, Aug 14, 2023
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2023
    Gotta say this doesn’t make much sense to me but to each his/her own, since there was no threat we should have played without him, without a keeper at all and see how that turned out

19. Hendrix22

Hendrix22 Member+

Feb 28, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    So based on this game you decided that he is not good enough?

20. Digital

Digital Member+

Dec 10, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    They’ve decided that long before the game was played, same with the idea the team isn’t good enough to win anything, look, Lunin isn’t TC everyone knows that, but I’m not sold on the idea that Kepa is vastly better and I think Lunin deserves a chance, that’s pretty much it for me, he’ll either take it, if given the chance, or he’ll be replaced by Kepa, the end

21. Lyra

Lyra Member+

Apr 29, 2013
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Where did I imply that?
    He’s average, has always been and it’s better we keep expectations low with him. I don’t get the logic where one states “ he didn’t fvck up means he did well.” Have a neutral view, check how many quality shots with high xG he faced, how many saves he made before grading his performance.

22. Hendrix22

Hendrix22 Member+

Feb 28, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Those of us who are in the pro Lunin camp know that hes average, but where we differ with you guys in the anti Lunin camp is that we think that if he is given a prolonged run to get rhythm and confidence, he can become a Madrid level keeper in the course of this year.

Or I should have said "could have" since we rushed to get Kepa which is financially a good deal but disappointing in terms of our own player development.

23. Lyra

Lyra Member+

Apr 29, 2013
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Move on… That luxury of allowing him to play long enough to develop into a reasonably okay keeper doesn’t exist in a club like Madrid. He can do that in plenty of other mid table clubs. In this club you lose one game due to GK error, all hell breaks loose. Rightfully so.

24. Hendrix22

Hendrix22 Member+

Feb 28, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Every goalkeeper makes errors and Lunin doesn't seem particularly prone to making them from what we've seen until now. The point is that we could have saved tens and tens of millions in the future if Lunin worked out. Keeper development is very different from outfield players. But oh well...

25. arcane

arcane Member+

Aug 18, 2005
    Philippines
    Like Vinicius?