No more adidas Kits?

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by Dennishz, Oct 19, 2003.

1. Dennishz

Dennishz Member

Aug 8, 2002
    NYC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With speculation that Adu might be going to DC United next year and that fact that NIKE is paying the kid a million dollars to wear their products, does that mean that NIKE will be taking over as uniform supplier of DC?

So no more three stripes?
    Are they gonna have the same kits as every other MLS NIKE team except in black?

2. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    I don't think that will be the case. Adidas actually sells DC <snip> jerseys unlike their other 2 MLS teams....

3. Libero6

Libero6 Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Florida
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    no, it shouldn't...it would just mean Freddie has to wear nike shoes, shinguards, and anything else that isn't DCU related

4. DigitalTron

DigitalTron New Member

Apr 4, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    Let's not put the cart before the horse. 1) While it is a strong rumor, nothing is official regarding Freddy. 2) Even if DC were to get Freddy, there's no guarantee he'd start, much less be the team's goto guy. Frankly, I think he'd be a sub at first. 3) Despite what Nike may want, the reality is that Adidas has a contract, and United is unlikely to change suppliers until that contract comes up for renewal ... but I don't know when that is (next season?)

Frankly, if they'd get rid of the mesh, I think DC United's current uniforms are excellent, and hope they stay Adidas. I'm a prominent Nike supporter--because they fund almost the entire corporate sponsorship for things like the US U-17's in Bradenton and the MLS P-40 team--and I love the look of their uniforms. If you want a preview of what DC United would look under Nike, think Holland's black uniforms but either white and/or red instead of Oranje.

I'm dang thankful that DC not only has a great organization, but also a very cool looking uniform.

-Digital

5. greatscott

greatscott Member+

Dec 21, 2002
    Richmond
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    nope. Adidas has already designed next years kit for dc.

6. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    yea don't worry about Adidas and DC. They will be together for a good while more....

7. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    That's right. Someone posted a picture from a Eurosport catalong a while back.

Sachin

8. sch2383

sch2383 New Member

Feb 14, 2003
    Northern Virginia
    When Beckham was with Man Utd, they were a Nike team and he was an adidas boy.

9. HalaMadrid

HalaMadrid Member

Apr 9, 1999
    While I'm sure adidas will stay DCU supplier, desgining next year's uniform doesn't necessarily lock the supplier in. Nike designed a 2003 Fire jersey.

10. HalaMadrid

HalaMadrid Member

Apr 9, 1999
    Actually, most of the time they were an Umbro team.

11. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    Dear Adidas,

Please improve the stitching on your jerseys as they currently tear too easily.

Sincerely,

Thiago

12. sch2383

sch2383 New Member

Feb 14, 2003
    Northern Virginia
    I know, but he still wore a different brand. I only went with Nike and adidas since those are the two brands we are talking about.

13. revelation

revelation Member+

Dec 17, 1998
    FC St. Pauli
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    I actually liked the "caped" look. We even started a good Zorro chant about it... :)

At least for 5 seconds, one of our players looked like they played hard...

14. Claymore

Claymore Member

Jul 9, 2000
    Montgomery Vlg, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If the adidas deal falls through, there's always these guys:

[​IMG]

Remember them? They seem to be making (another) comeback, especially in England. I think a couple teams in the EPL wear them (Wolverhampton, for example).

15. Foots

Foots Member

Jan 7, 2002
    Ellicott City, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Anyone have a link to that pic?

16. greatscott

greatscott Member+

Dec 21, 2002
    Richmond
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    oh good call.

17. JAnderson14

JAnderson14 New Member

Oct 5, 2000
    Crofton, MD
    Who was it that had 2 separate tears in one half sometime early last season? Quaranta? Prideaux?

18. Sundevil9

Sundevil9 Member

Nov 23, 1999
    Reston, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't remember, but Reyes, and McKinnley often sported the 'tearaway look'

I was impressed with the 3 to 5 yard stretch of Martin's jersey before it disintegrated. Will that jersey be up for sale soon?

19. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's all about the shoes.

The money in sponsoring soccer players is on their feet, and the feet of millions of kids. Team replica wear is a whole seperate deal. Kids buy adidas boots because Beckham wears adidas boots. They don't buy Nike boots because he wears a Nike uniform.

A complete disconnect. McBride, for example, makes more from Nike than from his MLS contract, but Crew jerseys, like DCU, have always been adidas (thank God). Nike wants him flashing those Total 90 II's out there.

So young Master Adu's shoe deal will have no affect on the team unis.

PS: Very shortly a certain Mr Mark Williams will be available for adidas product testing. MLS having proven conclusively that players from England 2 can't deal with the pace here, he'll be looking for work. And he proved on Sunday that he can grab and hold on to a DCU shirt with the best of them.

Just goes to show your Mom was right - everybody has a "special talent".

20. Greddy

Greddy Member

Jun 24, 2003
    Chicago
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Anyone?

21. CrewToon

CrewToon Member

Jun 13, 1999
    Greenbrier Farm
    The example above is a rare reason to like anything associated with Nike.

22. JuanMa

JuanMa Member

Jul 22, 2003
    MD
    Many contracts go beyond the shoes, though. I don't know if that is still the case, but Ronaldo (Nike guy) who plays for Real Madrid (Adidas uniform) at some point had a contract dispute with Nike, as he was wearing and being photographed wearing Adidas warmups and t-shirts during practice.

The solution? Wear the mandatory Adidas uniform inside-out, so that the logo is not displayed and team policy is not broken.

Big name players now have Nike, Adidas, and perhaps even Admiral as part of the contract negotiations when switching teams, and those details are discussed.

Re Adu: He is not a big name player. Maybe in the future, but he is a nobody now.

23. DCFAN

DCFAN Member

Apr 5, 1999
    I just love the quality of Addidas kits. The tear away style is brilliant. For example just think back to the Thiago play where he got an excellent shot on goal because the jersey shredded right off of him instead of him being pulled down.

The fact is that these addidas jerseys are a poor copy of the nike dry-fit kits in that they lack the quality craftsmanship and materials that Nike contains. Sure the addidas DC kits look good, but Nike personifies quality.

24. JuanMa

JuanMa Member

Jul 22, 2003
    MD
    1. Nike kits tear all the time. That mesh material is ultra light and all for NIKE and Adidas, but they rip easily. Should not be used for soccer.
    2. Nike jerseys are more expensive than Adidas.
    3. Nike products are great for Basketball. ADIDAS has always been and will be focused on soccer primarily. Just travel outside of the US and you will see.

Lets not get on the NIKE wagon just because they spend more on advertising. NIKE stinks. Their boots are horrible, which tells you how much they know about the sport really.

25. Libero6

Libero6 Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Florida
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ...Nike also personifies child labor abuse