No Money, Even Mo Problems - The 2021-2022 Season Thread

Discussion in 'Barcelona' started by celito, Aug 7, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Figure it's time to put up the new season thread. Feel free to make suggestions on thread title although this seems pretty appropriate. Tomorrow we play Juve in the Joan Gamper Trophy.

With Messi (most likely) gone, we are still at 95% wage bill / revenue. I am not sure if that includes salaries of the new players that signed up this season (Aguero, Depay, Garcia). That means we still need to get rid of some fat. Ideally those players would be Umtiti, Coutinho, Dembele, Pjanic ... I'd throw Roberto in there but chances are he is staying. Problem with the first 3 names is that basically, none are easy to move as the won't give up their nice paychecks.

- Umtiti is basically a broken player.
    - Coutinho God knows in what form he will return after injury. He will have motivation to play if he stays as he probably wants to break back into Brazil NT side for WC.
    - Dembele is injured again and no club in their right mind will touch him.
    - Pjanic would seem like he would move for less $ based on the fact that it seems that he wants to play.

Griezmann would technically be the easiest to move and get some transfer money in return. But with Messi gone, it would seem stupid to not give him a chance to play in his natural position. Plus, he will probably be our most talented player.

Laporta has less than 30 days to figure this out and the clock is ticking.

Gilmango, unclesox, Jpows and 1 other person repped this.
  2. Barc@4ever

Barc@4ever Member

Barcelona
    Jul 21, 2020
    Roberto is the main reason we haven't won the CL since 2016 so I would love for him to **** off already but it seems he will still be a starter this season because koeman is still our coach , that's 10-11 million wasted along side any potential title acquirable this season since Messi isn't here anymore.

3. waitforit

waitforit Member+

Dec 3, 2010
    Valcea
    Club:
    FC Steaua Bucuresti
    Nat'l Team:
    Romania
    Some people were saying Cou's issue is that Messi played in his favourite postion

So let's test that theory.

Honestly even without Messi I see Barca main favourites to the league barring injuries

4. Jpows

Jpows Member+

F.C. Barcelona
    Netherlands
    Jun 4, 2018
    #4 Jpows, Aug 8, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2021
    It’s really infuriating that we’re still stuck with all of this deadwood.

I can’t stand the sight of Umtiti, what an utter disappointment he turned out to be. Coutinho has had so many chances here that I feel I can’t trust any good performance he puts in for a handful of games because that seems to be his “gimmick”. Pjanic seems like a nice guy, but he’s just not that good IMO, especially compared to the in-house talents we already have in Puig, Gavi, Nico, and Collado albeit not all rivals for the same position. I have no clue what he’s still doing here tbh. Braithwaite, bless his heart, really has no future here other than coming off the bench.

As a result of the Messi fiasco I am now forced to change my previous stance on Griezmann. I actually think we should keep him now as he’s the best we have to take on the Messi role. Depay is too fresh and unpredictable, Ansu has been out for too long and they are different players, Coutinho is untrustworthy. There’s no one else.

There are so many things that we will have to “luck out” in for us to have a good season. Depay will have to become consistent and develop a chemistry with the rest, Dembele will have to stay healthy, Ansu will have to be back and better than ever, Griezmann will have to prove that he can be the leader of the attack now that he can “finally” play in the Messi role. Aguero will have to give us a Suarez-like performance in the twilights of his career.

Pedri will have to come back healthy and not burnt out by the ridiculous season he’s had. Busquets will have to not show his age just yet. Our Masia talents will need to step up.

Between Pique, Araujo, Lenglet, Garcia, Mingueza they’re gonna have to figure it out. Our defense has been too leaky. I don’t trust Lenglet for sh*t and Pique has also shown his age last season. Alba will have to give us one more great year before hopefully Balde takes over. Emerson and Dest will have to battle it out for RB.

5. USAUSA1

USAUSA1 New Member

Barcelona
    United States
    Jul 29, 2021
    Barcelona should be fine for the most part in La Liga at least.

6. Jpows

Jpows Member+

F.C. Barcelona
    Netherlands
    Jun 4, 2018
    I mean we should have enough talent to at least finish in the CL spots. How far up we finish in the top 4 will depend on many factors which I have mentioned above.

Messi scored almost 40% of all of our Liga goals last year not to mention assists. We still finished 3rd. Like I’ve said before, it will have to be a collective effort. Now that they’re “free” of having to look for Messi or depend on him we might see some break-out performances. Hopefully.

unclesox repped this.
  7. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Yeah, the gap b/w 3rd and 4th in La Liga is bigger than Messi. Always a chance for one surprise team to emerge but two surprise teams is highly unlikely, so top 4 is fairly secure.

If anyone is worried about CL, I think the real worry is finishing top 2 in the group stage. But I am not sure how much € is lost if you crash out in group stage versus, say, R16 or QF.(?)

Jpows repped this.
  8. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Yeah … but then we got Griezmann to sort of play that position .

9. Klingo3034

Klingo3034 Member+

Dallas FC
    United States
    Oct 11, 2019
    Wow!!! 95% wages before even paying Messi! OMG!!!!

10. Ozora

Ozora Member+

Barcelona
    Spain
    Aug 5, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea LFC
    Inter go bankrupt so they must sell all their key players like Lukaku, Hakimi, Lautaro...

Barca try to avoid that but also only sell unknown players instead.

11. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Yeah, but the big variable is “revenue”. We have no clue what that number will be in 2021-22. Can’t even estimate it.

12. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Aguero out for 10 weeks with injury.

13. Jpows

Jpows Member+

F.C. Barcelona
    Netherlands
    Jun 4, 2018
    Jesus. I guess that’s what we get for signing an aging and injured player. Ffs. We need Ansu.

14. evil_allan

evil_allan Member+

May 3, 2004
    Turtle Island
    so who do we think starts on our first league match vs Sociedad this weekend?

not a lot of options at this point.

injured: De Jong; Aguero; Fati; Dembele; Ter Stegen

league registration pending(??!!): Memphis; Eric; Aguero; Emerson

Pedri has returned and looks set to play since De Jong is probably unavailable

---------Pedri-----Griezmann-----Demir--------
    ---------------Puig-------------Roberto------------
    -----Alba-----------[c]Sergio----------Dest------
    -----------------Pique---------Araujo--------------
    --------------------------Neto------------------------

-Memphis is probably the only unregistered player that would start if available. hopefully they manage to get that over the line before the match. he would then start on the LW, with Puig dropping to the bench and Pedri in midfield.

- i'm not sure what's happening with Braithwaite - if he stays or leaves - but he could also end up starting. could play on either wing or as ST.

- Collado is another option

- Umtiti, Pjanic and Coutinho are also available, but not clear where they stand as the club is trying to push them out. so the bench might have to be made up of Barca B players.

ShortyMac and celito repped this.
  15. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I've read that Pedri is available, training, and will play. Just hope we don't push the kid too hard.

It's crazy that there are no updates on registering our new signings. Laporta seemed confident we'd have no problems doing so saying the players were very flexible in the deals they got (i am imagining delayed compensation after first year). And yeah, out of those, I'd only play Depay. Aguero is supposedly injured anyways.

16. Jpows

Jpows Member+

F.C. Barcelona
    Netherlands
    Jun 4, 2018
    Pedri is on a fast-track to burn himself out. I hope those around him know what the hell they’re doing. This is insanity. If I were Koeman I’d keep him on the bench for now.

De Jong out is a real bummer, on the other hand it does give the opportunity for Puig (or Demir) to figure in MF and I’m looking forward to that. Roberto in MF hurts my soul though. Would MUCH rather see Gavi in there.

I hope we can register Depay; he’s been great in pre-season and has already been developing a nice understanding with Alba and Griez.

Ideally I’d go with Griez, Depay, and Demir in ATT. Gavi, Puig, and Busquets in MF. Alba, Araujo, Pique, Dest in DEF. TerGod as GK.

17. ShortyMac

ShortyMac Member+

Barcelona
    Apr 10, 2011
    Ohio, USA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Former LPB player, now at Villarreal, Albiol, has his penalty saved to give Chelski the UEFA Super Cup. :sneaky::ROFLMAO:

Jpows and Cosmin10 repped this.
  18. evil_allan

evil_allan Member+

May 3, 2004
    Turtle Island
    Gavi broke his jaw in the game vs Salzburg. so i don't think he's an option this weekend.

i agree on Pedri and Roberto but not sure we have any choices, especially if Memphis and DeJong are both out.

it'd be really nice if Ilaix decided to sign his contract, he'd have a starting spot waiting for him this weekend. but that situation isn't looking good.

19. evil_allan

evil_allan Member+

May 3, 2004
    Turtle Island
    at least Emerson Royale has been registered and will be available.

20. Jpows

Jpows Member+

F.C. Barcelona
    Netherlands
    Jun 4, 2018
    Goodness gracious. I knew Gavi was injured but had no idea it was that serious. Man, we just can’t catch a break can we? Pedri overplayed, Gavi injured, Frenkie injured, Ilaix won’t sign, Roberto meh, Depay unregistered, Fati injured ffs. Piss off.

I’d honestly rather see Collado in MF than Roberto. Such an uninspiring player in that position. It’ll probably be him though so let’s hope for an epic shift…

Barc@4ever and ShortyMac repped this.
  21. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
  22. evil_allan

evil_allan Member+

May 3, 2004
    Turtle Island
    i'd like to see Collado given a chance too. but i'm not sure how that would work out with Busquets and Pedri/Puig, we really need the third midfielder to be someone with a high defensive workrate who can cover a lot of ground. so i think Roberto is going to have a big role to play this season, assuming no more incoming transfers. at least we won't need him as often at RB.

Jpows repped this.
  23. unclesox

unclesox BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Correct. Every first team player at the start of the season must wear shirt numbers 1 through 25.
    It's been suggested by some media that... wait a sec... :confused:

24. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil