No Misconduct on Heading Rules

Discussion in 'Referee' started by fairplayforlife, Oct 5, 2020.

1. fairplayforlife

fairplayforlife Member+

Mar 23, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If someone can point me to where this has been posted please delete the thread.

I guess people are bored with Covid so I’ve got some enterprising internet trolls wanting someone to prove that US Soccer made it clear that misconduct does not apply to the headers in U11 and below.

I can’t find it but I’m almost positive I read it on an official document. Does someone have it? National level if possible, I have a feeling these people will be annoying and want to question me if the proof is just from a state level.

2. sulfur

sulfur Member+

Oct 22, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
  3. sulfur

sulfur Member+

Oct 22, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Followup: Found this from OSSRC (pg 57 is the relevant one):

http://www.ossrc.com/newrefreg/2017/law12F.pdf

I don't know if they're using USSF slides and put their own logo on as well, or if that's a homegrown thing.

AYSO has also taken the view that heading can never be a basis for misconduct.

Minnesota and Georgia teaching the same... basically "It is a safety violation, not a violation of the LOTG."

fairplayforlife repped this.
  4. fairplayforlife

fairplayforlife Member+

Mar 23, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I’ll see if I can pass this off as official. I knew I had read it somewhere but couldn’t find it now. Thanks.

5. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006
    #5 Sport Billy, Oct 5, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2020
    The Player Development Initiative pdf under 7v7 games it reads "Law 12 – Fouls and Misconduct*"
    and the asterisk says "*With the exception of deliberate heading and punting"

under 9v9 games it reads "Law 12 – Fouls and Misconduct*"
    and the asterisk says "*With the exception of deliberate heading in U11 games"

Sorry, didn't see the first response

MJ91, voiceoflg and fairplayforlife repped this.
  6. fairplayforlife

fairplayforlife Member+

Mar 23, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Perfect. I knew it was there but I couldn’t find it.

Sport Billy repped this.
  7. sulfur

sulfur Member+

Oct 22, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Good catch -- I missed those two, a bit buried.

Sport Billy repped this.
  8. Beau Dure

Beau Dure Member+

May 31, 2000
    Vienna, VA
    The USSF presentation says all headers at this age result in an indirect kick.

Every other piece of guidance I've seen says if it's accidental, it's a dropped ball:

http://vys.org/referees/laws-of-the-game

https://loudounsoccerreferee.org/2016/05/01/heading-rule-u11-and-below/

http://www.novasc.org/referee/clari...cation---policies--rules-and-laws-of-the-game

http://www.gcyouthsoccer.com/Default.aspx?tabid=1125012

Total of 168 references in this search:

https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1...hUKEwjPw8nhlbLsAhWmg-AKHbwVAzwQ4dUDCA0&uact=5

Nothing more definitive?

I did a dropped ball on Sunday, and a parent reacted as if I had replaced the ball with a badminton shuttlecock.

9. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    I know AYSO considers non-deliberate head contact as nothing--of course raising the possibility of stopping for injury, which would result in a DB.

I *thought* that was consistent with what USSF was saying, but I don't really know. (Nor do I know why anyone wants to stop play for random, non-injurious, head/ball contact--the point of the rule is to not have players trying to head the ball.)

Hmm, if you're stopping for an accidental head ball, is that the last touch that gets to receive the DB? :eek:

Law5 and IASocFan repped this.
  10. voiceoflg

voiceoflg Member+

Dec 8, 2005
    You have to remember the state ROC on heading. Something I, unfortunately, still struggle with.

Alabama: No heading at U12 and below.
    Georgia: No heading at U11 and below

Alabama: Only "purposeful" heading is an IFK for the other team
    Georgia: Both deliberate and accidental heading are IFK for the other team.

Although once an accidental heading resulted in an injury in Georgia. Player was subbed out and I awarded a drop ball for the injury. Coach went nuts saying his team should get an IFK, not a drop ball. U9 game. Yes, she complained quite loudly. It wasn't even an old-style contested drop ball. It was dropped at the feet of her player. :rolleyes:

11. fairplayforlife

fairplayforlife Member+

Mar 23, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I mean those are the standards laid out direct from US Soccer. So I’m not sure what more authoritative material there could be.

There might be more APPLICABLE material, since like Covid every state seems to think their idea is the best idea and they make some modifications to that.

Personally I think the no heading rules have done nothing but made it so players attempt to recreate scenes from Bloodsport with Kung Fu kicks near each other’s heads. So take it for what it’s worth.

12. Beau Dure

Beau Dure Member+

May 31, 2000
    Vienna, VA
    I may be wrong on this, but I'm under the impression that the drop goes to the last team "in possession," so I've been giving it to the last team that *kicked* the ball.

13. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    Yup, mis-impression. Last touch, not last possession (Law 8).

(Definitely creates some quirky results here and there, but at least we don't have to argue about what "possession" means.)

14. GoDawgsGo

GoDawgsGo Member+

Nov 11, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    IASocFan repped this.
  15. Beau Dure

Beau Dure Member+

May 31, 2000
    Vienna, VA
    Hmmmm ...

Now I'm racking my brain to see if I ever saw specific instructions about the U-10 heading rule, which isn't in the LOTG and could offer up an exception.

I think a lot of the literature on the subject pre-dates the change in the drop ball Law.

I may have to do a story on this.

16. ArgylleRef

ArgylleRef Member

Jan 23, 2004
    Lansing, KS
    I haven't done any U-littles since the no heading started. When was the first year of that? I think we're starting to see the results of that in HS JV matches. Other than the Kung FU kicks, they do every bizarre body contortion in the world in order to avoid heading the ball. SMH.

17. fairplayforlife

fairplayforlife Member+

Mar 23, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don’t think you’re going to find a clear cut answer. You’re trying to fit a hexagonal plug in a round hole. It will probably fit but there will be gaps.

Law5 repped this.
  18. GoDawgsGo

GoDawgsGo Member+

Nov 11, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Your quest will end up empty handed. Every state has different guidelines based on the USSF guidelines. And on a local level, clubs don't always pay attention to their state guidelines. They do follow it more stringently for the heading rule, but build out line? There is no consistency from club to club. They scoff at the idea a state director of coaching understands player development better than the local DOC. Not that I care one way or the other, but it obviously makes things really difficult on the referees who work at different clubs.

19. fairplayforlife

fairplayforlife Member+

Mar 23, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You’re lucky if you’re that consistent. I have differences from one field next to another. Because I’m on the border of another state that differs from ours and plays their games here.

Makes everything fun. They couldn’t even agree on Covid stuff much less this.

20. Kit

Kit Member+

Aug 30, 1999
    Herkimer, NY, USA
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    DB to last team in possession is the NFHS rule.

21. Beau Dure

Beau Dure Member+

May 31, 2000
    Vienna, VA
    So is "possession" the team that kicked the ball or the team whose head the ball hit?

22. fairplayforlife

fairplayforlife Member+

Mar 23, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Any answer you give will be equally right and wrong. But my leaning is that the “illegal” touch wouldn’t count for anything.

23. fairplayforlife

fairplayforlife Member+

Mar 23, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Another one of those subtle but annoying verbiage differences that NFHS has.

Another fun one. Did you know in NFHS the keeper can still score from their throw out of the PA? While IFAB thinks it’s a good idea to disallow that. Like you might as well provide a casket for that ref because wiping that goal off the board is a death sentence.

24. Beau Dure

Beau Dure Member+

May 31, 2000
    Vienna, VA
    Thanks -- that's what I'm going with.

The idea that a team can be rewarded with possession because a ball grazed a defender's head just doesn't sit right with me.