No Ham in Osaka!

Discussion in 'Asian Football Confederation' started by Matsu, Aug 13, 2002.

1. Matsu

Matsu Member

Mar 28, 2001
    In one of those stories that can be headlined "truth is stranger than fiction", an Osaka District Court judge has ordered Cerezo Osaka to get new team uniforms!

Thats right, Cerezo Osaka's tailors are working overtime this week, following the court ruling against Nippon Ham, one of Cerezo's main sponsors. The company was found guilty of abusing a beef buy-back programme introduced by the government following a BSE scare in Japan earlier this year (you can read the full details at the RSN)

Anyway, as a part of the punishment Nippon Ham is not allowed to do any advertising or promotion for six months. This means that the Nippon Ham logo on the Cerezo Osaka uniforms, as well as the baseball team Nippon Ham Fighters, have to be removed.

Cerezo was unable to get new uniforms in time for their match against Albirex Niigata, on August 10, but the team will wear new uniforms without the "Nippon Ham" logo mark, for their match against Mito Hollyhock on August 17.

As far as I know, the uniforms will still be flaming pink [​IMG]

2. skipshady

skipshady New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Orchard St, NYC
    So I have a question. If Cerezo and Fighters have to remove the Nippon Ham logo from their uniforms, does the baseball team have to call themselves simply "Fighters" or can they still keep their corporate name?

But strange world indeed.

3. Matsu

Matsu Member

Mar 28, 2001
    Good question. I was wondering exactly the same thing myself.
    Maybe they will just follow the example of pop music stars, and call themselves "The Baseball Team Formerly Known as Nippon Ham". Or better yet, name themselves after an unpronounceable symbol.

I can just imagine the new cheers by the fan club:

-- Give me a "#"
    Give me a "*"
    Give me a "@" . . . .

What does it spell???????

4. LakesidePark

LakesidePark New Member

Dec 17, 2001
    Kanagawa, Japan
    And what would happen to the relocation of the Fighters to Sapporo Dome?

It seems to me that Nippon Ham will have to downsize both teams.

5. Native Aztexan

Jan 27, 2002
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How about Foo Fighters :)
    And their sponsor: [​IMG]

6. skipshady

skipshady New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Orchard St, NYC
    Nice.

Lakeside, you bring up a good point. How will this scandal affect the club? I hate to see another Flugels fiasco where a club is allowed to die, simply because a firm doesn't want to support it any more.

7. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 3, 2001
    Jakarta
    Well, thank goodness for that! :p

8. i can't believe this is happening. i've been eating nippon ham since i was born.