No faith from U.S. soccer media?

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by wooglin12, Dec 14, 2005.

1. wooglin12

wooglin12 Member

Mar 26, 2005
    Birmingham, AL
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i might be reading all the wrong papes, but it seems like no soccer talking heads believe the u.s. has anything more than a slight chance of advancing. I don't understand. Of course i dont think we're gonna win every game or anything like that, but we are the u.s. we can beat good teams. i don't care if we are playing in europe, if we play to our potential (which we can do and have done) i believe we can beat just about any team we play (note: i said "just about" so that leaves out brazil). I'm just tired of the pessimism, dont we as americans always think we can (and should) win? why is that suddenly not the case? I would love some thoughts about this. Also, if I have missed all the positive write ups about the U.S.'s chances then someone let me know cause I will delete my post immediately.

2. scaryice

scaryice Member

Jan 25, 2001
    It's probably better that expectations are still low, because if we screw up, then it was expected.

3. Autogolazo

Autogolazo BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 19, 2000
    Bombay Beach, CA
    Another thread said Italian publication Gazetta dello Sport (the pink paper) gave the US a 35% chance of qualifying for the second round.

That seems a lot better than most US media are giving us.

4. CbR

CbR Member

Nov 10, 2000
    Bergen County NJ
    Ives had a somewhat positive article on ESPN.com a few days ago

5. Gints86

Gints86 Thanks Mchead

Nov 15, 2005
    Rochester, NY
    I would check out that IVES article. It was pretty good and right on with the thread. I was surprised that during the draw both Balboa and Wynalda stated that the U.S. could win the cup. Granted both would be biased but for them each to make that statement is pretty bold. I am glad that some people are getting behind this team. We do have talent, there is no question. As some time has went by I have noticed more and more people here and elsewhere that feel much better about the draw. I think at first it was a little shocking given that both European teams are so strong but we need to come out of a group like this to gain respect around the world. People have said that they dont care what Europe or South America thinks but the more respect everyone else has for our players the more likely they are to get signed around the world. It can only help if we are successful.

6. wooglin12

wooglin12 Member

Mar 26, 2005
    Birmingham, AL
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i have read ives article (it was actually positive which is unusual). everything everyone has said about it is true, but thats just one guy.

7. Yankee_Devil

Yankee_Devil Member

Nov 13, 2005
    San Diego, CA
    I think the media is just setting us up for the whole "Cinderella story" angle.

8. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    if Greece can do it we can do it. i'm sure no one thought greece could beat spain, portugal, ukraine, france, and the czech republic. also these are some results from your "untouchable" brazil.

Brazil 1 Bolivia 1 WC qualifier
    Brazil 1 Croatia 1 Friendly
    Brazil 2 Japan 2 Confederations Cup
    Brazil 0 Mexico 1 Confederations Cup
    Brazil 1 Uruguay 1 WC Qualfier
    Brazil 0 Ecuador 1 WC qualifier
    Brazil 0 Colombia 0 WC qualifier
    Brazil 1 Paraguay 2 Copa America
    Brazil 1 Chile 1 WC qualifier
    Brazil 0 Paraguay 0 WC qualifier
    Brazil 0 Ireland 0 Friendly
    Brazil 3 Uruguay 3 WC qualifier
    Brazil 1 Peru 1 WC qualifier
    and the list goes on....

untouchable my @$$! this is a team we'd struggle against but could beat.

9. THOMA GOL

THOMA GOL BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 16, 1999
    Frontier
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The theory of reverse psychology indeed. :D

10. Galaxian

Galaxian Member

Oct 30, 2005
    Newport Beach, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In the World Cup anything is possible. Obviously teams like Brazil and England go in as favorites , but look at the last world cup : holders france going out in the first round , not scoring a goal . Anything can happen , and we have more than enough quality to beat italy or the czechs or anyone we might run up against.

11. Shibb

Shibb Member

Feb 22, 2005
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Some columnist in the Soccer section of CNNSI has USA advancing (but losing to Brazil second round) with Czech Republic winning our group. He thinks the key is the Ghana v Italy match, and that otherwise we all just beat each other up. But the best part is he's predicting that England won't advance. I'll see if I can dig up a link.

12. Shibb

Shibb Member

Feb 22, 2005
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From Mark Bechtel's column in CNN/ Sports Illustrated:

Take on Group E:
    Not dissimilar to sentiments expressed in another thread on the board right now.
    and

and prediction:
    Take on Group B:

13. strawberryfields

strawberryfields Red Card

Dec 13, 2005
    Oak bluff way.
    Probably the journalists are European Americans ...

14. zanderbz

zanderbz Member

May 12, 2005
    United States
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I also read the Ives article on ESPN. Positive words from him indeed.

There is also a chat wrap with Steve Ralston from the day of the draw.

He basically says the draw is what it is and that the team doesn't care who it plays, they are confident and they play to win.

Basically, they are confident which I give Coach Arena credit for. He seems to have have his players both physically and mentally prepared. Barring injury to key players or Bianca forbidding Landon from scoring on the Chzechs, I like the US' chances of getting through.

Regardless, fans of the US should be thankful for the fact that the team is talented well coached and will fight as hard as they can to win matches. It will be a fun group to watch!

Go Yanks!!!!

15. ugaaccountant

ugaaccountant New Member

Oct 26, 2003
    There's U.S. soccer media now?

16. wooglin12

wooglin12 Member

Mar 26, 2005
    Birmingham, AL
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

repped

17. DoctorJones24

DoctorJones24 Member

Aug 26, 1999
    OH
    Yeah, that's what we need. False confidence and arrogance. We could even look to USA Basketball for inspiration.

It's not pessimism to see us as underdogs in the group, just accurate. It's pessimism to say "We're screwed! It's all over. We're gonna get killed, no doubt."

In any case, it's not the press' job to have faith in any team. Faith is for fans.

18. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax

any chance you could explain what this means? i guess i'm not quite up on all possible distinctions

19. Morpheus1271

Morpheus1271 Member

May 30, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    All this neg media attention is good. Unlike years ago when this "can't do" viewpoint was somewhat valid, today is a completely different story.

The US team has evolved and the true US fan has evolved. What hasn't evolved is the eurosnob and media mentality about US soccer. Why? Simply because they are ignorant. They don't follow enough of our brand of soccer to care. They can't accept that MLS plays a schedule opposite the "approved" FIFA schedule, they can't understand how 18,000 fans in a stadium can be a moral victory, and they are unwilling to accept that the US could challenge them. THEM! Where soccer has its roots, where they've been excelling at soccer for what seem to be eons.

Providing the US advance, and I wholeheartedly believe we will. There is going to be another 'shock factor' a al 2002 but twice magnified at our accomplishment and the ignorant media and eurosnob ranks will begin to dwindle. Not out of acceptance for our accomplishments, but out of anger for their own arrogance. Oh, they'll never come out and say it but they will realize that their education on american soccer had been taking place for some time and they had just turned a blind eye.

Go USA.

20. Morpheus1271

Morpheus1271 Member

May 30, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    Just so I don't lump in the vast majority of our soccer loving friends in Europe and elsewhere around the world. The "eurosnobs" I speak of are only those who believe from the deepest place in their soul that the USA coudlnt' possibly come out of Group E and who also believe that Ghana has a better chance of doing so.

I think those two pieces are what truly make someone ignorant about american soccer and arrogant about european soccer.

Cheers and good luck to all. ESPECIALLY THE USA!!!

21. Adam Zebrowski

Adam Zebrowski New Member

May 28, 1999
    well, balboa and wynalda classified the usa as contenders for the title...

personally, I think it's somewhere in between....

winning a wc ist fantasia....

getting out of the group is possible...

22. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    why is it "fantasia"?? yeah we're not favorites but why have the mentality that there is no possible way for this to be done. the US has beaten Brazil before and i don't remember the last time Brazil just went to town on the US. there is always room for an upset. ex. Greece

23. Adam Zebrowski

Adam Zebrowski New Member

May 28, 1999
    euros have 16 sides, so there's ONE less round than the wc...in the elimination phase...16 teams versus 8 in the euros

also, argentina NOR brasil aren't in the euro tourney...

their presence makes it far difficult tourney...

what did brasil do to greece in the confed cup, made them their prison girls all match...

usa can get out of group play...

but winning 4 one and dones is highly unlikely.....

that's where ist fantasia emerges...

24. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    a loss to mexico and a tie to japan? we can beat Brazil if Mexico can. don't be surprised to see Brazil crash and burn. i'm not saying we are going to slaughter them, i'm just saying we can pull an upset.

25. kpaulson

kpaulson New Member

Jun 16, 2000
    Washington DC
    WHen was the last time a true outsider won the World Cup? Uruguay in 1950? You have to go back pretty far to find even an outsider as a losing finalist. Yes, the Greeks proved it was possible to win as outsider during the modern era, but there's a reason that Cinderalla teams in the WC measure success as "making it to the second round".