No EPL bias over at the FSW report eh ?

Discussion in 'TV, Satellite & Radio' started by SportBoy333, Nov 3, 2004.

1. SportBoy333

SportBoy333 Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    So why lead your show with Arsenal-Panathinakos highlights first over Barcelona-Milan ? Who wants to bet tonight they lead with Manchester United-Sparta Prague instead of Juventus-Bayren Munich.

2. Motterman

Motterman Member

Jul 8, 2002
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Viewers of Fox Sport World are bound to be more familiar with the Premier League teams, since they show their games and not the Spanish or Italian leagues.

But by all means, the whining by the Democrats over the election result deserves to be pushed aside over your concerns about the order of hilights on a TV show... :rolleyes:

3. OttawaBear

OttawaBear New Member

Oct 6, 2004
    Ottawa, Ontario
    I think also the fact that Arsenal v Pano was the featured game 'live' on ESPN/TSN in Canada may have been part of the reason. Add to that the Gunners dip in form since the ManU loss and it was a good lead story. Both Milan and Barca have pretty much qualified anyway.

All IMHO, of course.

OttawaBear

4. writered21

writered21 Member+

Jul 14, 2001
    Middle of the Road
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd venture to say this is also the most difficult round of matches to pick a feature for top highlight - because these clubs just played each other already in the last round.

But no, what game they lead off with is not an indication of a bias. Leading off with Arsenal, not showing the Barca highlights at all, and then spending 12 minutes on the World's Strongest Midget Competition - now THAT would be a bias.

5. therealronaldo7

therealronaldo7 New Member

Apr 14, 2004
    Chicago
    Quit your whininig. Just be happy there is a Fox Sports World Report at all. Everybody loves to bitch and moan about everything FSW, but in actuality, we are lucky to have it and lucky they show as many games and news reports as they do.

6. GutBomb

GutBomb Red Card

Aug 28, 2003
    Outside Boston
    they showed the juve/bayern highlights first btw...

7. Motterman

Motterman Member

Jul 8, 2002
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, and if he doesn't like it, he can just watch one of the other TV sports news programs that covers world football nightly... oh wait. :cool:

8. Northside Rovers

Jan 28, 2000
    Austin TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh Lord - that's a riot.

9. Fevernova99

Fevernova99 Member

May 3, 2003
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    As AJAX fans once said "WHO THE FCUK IS AC MILAN?"

10. jstlouis

jstlouis Member

Jun 23, 2003
    Winnipeg, Canada
    I must say that I agree with almost everything said in response to this ludicrous statement. It was a good story, it was available to us and since England is what our show is built around, kinda makes sense.

We did lead with Juve/Bayern though Wednesday so...so much for bias.

But you'll be happy to know we sit around the table every day and go "How can we blatantly show our EPL bias today?" - I'm kidding of course.

It starst with what's a good story and usually hinges on whether or not we can get the hilites. We WERE going to lead with ManU/Sparta Wednesday but we all decided it was Bayern/Juve that was the best game that we had available.

Cheers.

J1

11. SportBoy333

SportBoy333 Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    So I guess Middlesboro-Lazio will be the lead tonight. Not saying that because an EPL team was invloved but because it was the best matchup today.

12. OttawaBear

OttawaBear New Member

Oct 6, 2004
    Ottawa, Ontario
    Jeremy,

It was great last night to see Championship highlights. Some great football is played outside the Prem.

One question, if it is possible to pick up the midweek highlights isn't it possible for FSW to show the highlights from Saturday's games? Even 5/10 minutes of the lower divisions would be great! Some of the best goals AND bloopers can be found there!!!

Cheers,
    OttawaBear

13. kstuart

kstuart Member

Jul 13, 1999
    Northern California
    I'm guessing that it wasn't, because FSWorld doesn't have the rights to show highlights of UEFA home matches of Middlesbrough or Newcastle, because both have sold overseas UEFA rights to SportsFive, and GolTV have exclusive rights to matches and highlights owned by SportsFive. (according to DaCFO)

There is a natural and appropriate bias on the part of Fox Sports World (and all other USA and Canadian sports channels) in favor of teams from English speaking countries. The EPL has the highest viewership in the USA of any foreign league - simply because they speak English in England (smacks forehead in lieu of saying " D'oh "). People - like me - enjoy watching the EPL match and then viewing Sky Sports News - in English - broadcast only an hour previously in England. I can even watch a fictional program "Dream Team" that takes place in the same league and in the same stadia.

If I happened to speak Spanish or Italian, I might feel differently.

PS The actual bias that concerns me is the bias (not necessarily on FSW Report) that one sees in favor of the 20th Century teams...

14. SportBoy333

SportBoy333 Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    Well there was some more EPL bias tonight. Jeremy said Man United was a heavy favorite over Lyon and would probably win. He also mis pronounced manager Paul Le Guen's name. He didnt give the French champs any credit or mention their injury situation. It seemed as if Lyon shouldn't even bother showing up the way he described it. They aren't a weak sister you know but against an English heavyweight the folks at FSW will always give the English team the benefit of the doubt and assume that its their game to lose.

15. Motterman

Motterman Member

Jul 8, 2002
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Being that United was playing a home tie in Europe in which we have a phenomenal record (which includes the historical "record" of French teams inablility to trouble us at Old Trafford), it also being Fergie's 1,000th game in charge, and now having one of the greatest European goal scorers of all time lining up in Ruud van Nistelrooy and a fit Rio Ferdinand back, Lyon were lucky to get a goal only by a howler by our backup keeper....

Bias by Jeremy? Maybe. But the facts and statistics had this game laid out before a ball was kicked....

I wouldn't be able to name the Lyon manager either, I would keep calling him Les Pee Wee Herman by mistake anyways....

16. SportBoy333

SportBoy333 Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    More EPL bias tonight. They led with Harry Redknapp leaving Portsmouth over the Champions League. How many North Americans really care about Portsmouth. 3 maybe ? Harry Redknapp ??? Portsmouth ??? Thats your lead story instead of the Champions League ??? Wow I'm stunned. Well not really.

17. SportBoy333

SportBoy333 Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    2 nights ago they did a preview of just 1 UEFA Cup match and it was with you guessed it, an EPL team(Newcastle).

18. John W.

John W. New Member

Nov 24, 2004
    Redknapp's leaving is a matter of big interest to a lot of Yanks who follow the game on FSW, and I think it clearly deserved top coverage. Harry did well at West Ham and Portsmouth, and he's always been an interesting person along the way, so many of us were sorry to see him decide to leave Pompey and are interested in where he lands next. (Even those of us who pull for the Toon, which clearly deserved UEFA coverage ;) )

The bottom line is that the EPL is, by far, FSW's biggest draw. That's why they typically broadcast 4+ live/same-day EPL matches each week, they carry SkySports news, the EPL preview and review programs, Bobby McMahon's reviews, etc. The EPL is why many fans go to FSW in the first place. It's also the league of principal interest in Canada, and that's the market for FSW Canada.

I do wish FSW would show more from other leagues (and fewer half-hour ads for exercise machines, get-rich-quick schemes, etc.), but I have difficulty understanding why anyone is perplexed by the emphasis on the EPL. The only way other leagues will get more coverage is if there's demand for it, and right now, it's apparent that the demand isn't there.

19. Motterman

Motterman Member

Jul 8, 2002
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm thinking of starting:

No La Liga bias over on Gol TV eh?
    No Serie A bias over on RAI eh?

etc. etc. etc.