No Copa America for USA

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by SirStrikesalot, Jun 22, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SirStrikesalot

SirStrikesalot New Member

Jul 25, 2002
    Does anyone know why? Did we turn them down or vice versa? Mexico and Costa Rica I think are in it, and they're both CONCACAF

2. Shaydee

Shaydee Member

Apr 8, 2002
    New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I believe it was because too many games between MLS, qualifiers, and letting some of the Euro's actually have a vacation that they haven't had the past two offseasons

3. nobody

nobody Member+

Jun 20, 2000
    I know a lot of people get pissed about us not going, but I think it is the right call, maybe not from a national team perspective, but have you been watching the MLS games when all the guys (US and other players) are missing for qualifiers? The play gets considerably uglier when you take the best players off both teams.

Before the qualifiers, I was pretty pleased with much of the play in MLS (except for the lack of intensity that get shown until the playoffs start). But once everybody lost half their players things just started to look pretty ugly to me.

I really wish MLS would do something about scheduling to ensure that teams could expect to play with their full sides. The fans deserve it.

And, remember, the national team owes a lot of its improvement to MLS, dumping on the league for the sake of the national team could backfire in the long run.

4. metroflip73

metroflip73 Member

Mar 3, 2000
    NYC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's what we get for allowing MLS to sign Transitional Internationals.

With such lax rules RE: foreign players, what did you honestly expect?

5. Cosme

Cosme Member

Feb 4, 2004
    Houston
    Didn't Bruce Arena decline the invitation anyways in order to focus on the Olympics? :D:D

6. Kur #10

Kur #10 Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Mexico Citay
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    ah yes... the olympics...

7. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    we decided to give El Tri all of the bragging rights for the U-23s.Just so long as your team does not bother challenging us at the senior level. So I guess both countries are happy :)

8. NorCalFootballer

NorCalFootballer New Member

Jun 7, 2004
    Northern California

Maybe that would have been true if he was the U23 coach!

9. RobtheAggie

RobtheAggie Member+

Sep 10, 2001
    Middle Georgia
    Club:
    Rochester Rhinos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States