NMR -- LI Sports Bar to cater to soccer fans

Discussion in 'New York Red Bulls' started by Paul Nasta, Oct 21, 2003.

1. Paul Nasta

Paul Nasta Member

Oct 16, 2001
    Long Island
    Global Sports Cafe is located on Rte 112 in Medford (pretty far into Suffolk County, for those who may not know LI that well). One of the owners is a friend of mine, a guy I've played soccer with and against for most of the last 10 years. He wanted a place that would show soccer and cater to soccer fans, so he opened one.

I was there the other night. It's a nice place, about 5 plasma TVs, pool tables and juke box. It has a big bar and a lot of tables with waitress service. The wings and the beer were good. When I was there, it was mostly a Jets crowd. I heard the place had an overflow crowd for the Turkey - England game.

If you're out in Suffolk County and are looking for a place to watch a game, or if you're just in the area and want to grab a beer, check it out. It's about a mile or two south of the LIE -- get off at exit 64
    (Rte. 112).

Sorry for plugging this place here, but I figure that there might be some BS users out on LI who are looking for a place like this.

2. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    The Old Shilling

Located at the corner of Lakeville Road and Hillside Avenue in New Hyde Park.

Extremely football and rugby friendly.

2 Setanta satellite dishes.

One of the greates barkeeps in the world - Richie

Show live EPL, Rugby, European Championships, MLS, Metrostars

2 dart boards

Great food as well

Enjoy!

3. Red Card

Red Card Member+

Mar 3, 1999
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Which tv channels does he have? fsw, fse, gol, msg, espn, espn2, telemundo, univision, galavision, telefutura? Which ppv does he have?

4. Paul Nasta

Paul Nasta Member

Oct 16, 2001
    Long Island
    I don't know for sure. He did tell me he would have the capability to show any game that was available to a bar here, and he did show the Turkey - England match, so he must have access to ppv telecasts.

It's pretty safe to assume that, at a minimum, he's got premium cable, which would include MSG, ESPN & ESPN 2, and all four spanish-language stations.

I'm pretty sure he's got satellite, which would bring in FSW, FSE and maybe GOL. I remember him telling me before the bar opened that he was negotiating with a satellite service.

As always, the safest bet if you want to see a particular game is to call ahead of time to make sure they are showing it.

5. metro1026

metro1026 New Member

Jan 21, 1999
    Swamps of Jersey
    Any place like this in the Hudson/Bergen County areas of Joisey?

6. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    Sadly The Old Shilling does not serve Newcastle Brown Ale..... However I will keep bugging them to get it!

7. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    Attention folks. I just learned over the weekend that The Old Shilling has ceased to be. The pub has been purchased by a nice Irish man and has been rechristened "Celtic Corner Pub & Grub". The new ownership group intends to put some money into the place. New televisions are on the list, along with a new sound systems, footy memorbilia, etc...
    Despite the name, Rangers supporters and protestants are more than welcome. The Celtic Corner will still be a haven for soccer, rugby, GAA, and other wonderful Setanta sports. The new owner is also very interested in hosting Metrostars viewing parties. He said he will contact Budweiser about some Metrostars promotions, etc...

So if you are in Queens / Long Island and you can't make it to Nathan Hales (official home of the ESC), the Celtic Corner Pub & Grub is a viable option.

8. Michael K.

Michael K. Member

Mar 3, 1999
    There or Thereabouts
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They can forget about my business then. :rolleyes:

9. Casper

Casper Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    New York
    No one here doubts that you'll keep bugging them.

10. PSUdude

PSUdude New Member

Dec 15, 1998
    Elmhurst, Queens, NY

maybe he's refering to QPR supporters

11. krause9

krause9 New Member

Mar 6, 2003
    Hudson/Bergen County areas of Joisey?

Mulligan's on First
    158 First Street
    Hoboken, NJ 07030
    201-876-4101

http://mulligansonfirst.com/site/page.cgi

DRAFT BEERS
    stella artois
    carlsberg
    fosters
    guinness
    newcastle brown
    boddingtons
    bass
    harp
    octoberfest
    yuenling
    magners
    coors light
    miller light
    budweiser

BOTTLE BEER
    heineken
    amstel light
    corona
    sam adams
    anchor steam
    becks
    molson ice
    molson golden
    smirnoff ice
    labatts
    magners
    rolling rock
    coors light
    bud light
    miller lite
    becks light
    corona light
    sam adams light
    budweiser

12. IMOX77

IMOX77 New Member

Jun 15, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    What exit is Splish Splash??

13. PSUdude

PSUdude New Member

Dec 15, 1998
    Elmhurst, Queens, NY
    that's like Kings Park area right?

becides it's be nice for NYR Metro when he goes sees his Italian "Friends" out on Fire Island...

14. Paul Nasta

Paul Nasta Member

Oct 16, 2001
    Long Island
    Re: Re: NMR -- LI Sports Bar to cater to soccer fans

It's the very end of the Expressway, exit 72 or 73. Global Sports Cafe is about 20 minutes west of there. It's in Medford, near Holtsville, Farmingville. It's nowhere near Kings Park.

15. PSUdude

PSUdude New Member

Dec 15, 1998
    Elmhurst, Queens, NY
    Re: Re: Re: NMR -- LI Sports Bar to cater to soccer fans

my bad, I usually don't take the LIE

16. otterulz

otterulz Member

Arsenal, Atleti
    South Korea
    Jun 20, 2002
    LIC, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: NMR -- LI Sports Bar to cater to soccer fans

Haha! I'm pretty sure it's 72. Oh man, visions of the "Super Slide" are coming back. Wasn't Adventure Land around there somewhere too?

17. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    Adventureland is on Route 110 in Farmingdale..... bout a mile from the Farmingdale Aeropuerto....