[NMR ?] Howard and United coming back for seconds...

Discussion in 'New York Red Bulls' started by nyrmetros, Nov 7, 2003.

1. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
  2. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    Looks like the tour will hit 2 or 3 East Coast cities, with NYC being a lock in.

Now supposedly Giants Stadium will be under going some rennovations during the summer of 2004, and sonsequent summers....

3. ibcnu424

ibcnu424 New Member

Sep 9, 2003
    Glad to able able to see T-Ho in action again along with being able to watch great football here in the states.

Can't wait for all of you clowns to start bashing Charlie Stillitano and ChampionWorld again. Grow up and give it a rest.

4. Brownswan

Brownswan New Member

Jun 30, 1999
    Port St. Lucie, FL
    If MLS is dealt out of the action again, I'll stay home again -- and watch it on the tube for free.
    I'm glad they're coming, but I save my money for the home team.

Now grow up, and build a league of your own.

5. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ
    2 games at Giants stadium one at Soldiers Field

6. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ
    he can always have a MLS game before the Manchester United games.

7. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ
    if he cares about the MLS, he should have a MLS game before the Manchester United games.

8. webster2003

webster2003 Red Card

Nov 4, 2003
    Thanks for making it easier for us to get tickets. After all, last year's Thursday night game was sold out in no time.

9. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    That's slightly incorrect....
    1 game will be at Giants Stadium
    1 game will be at SOldier Field
    1 more game will be held at either Boston, Philly, or DC

10. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ
    check this out

Manchester United to tour U.S. again next summer

By RONALD BLUM, AP Sports Writer
    November 11, 2003
    NEW YORK (AP) -- Manchester United is coming back to the United States for another preseason tour next summer.

Coach Alex Ferguson announced Tuesday that the English Premier League champions will play three games in the United States. Two of the games will be at Giants Stadium and Chicago's Soldier Field. The site of the third game and the three opponents have not been finalized.

Unlike in their other preseason tours, Manchester United players can roam the streets in the United States in relative obscurity.

``Maybe you don't understand that whenever we go elsewhere we're inundated with people around the players,'' Ferguson said. But here, he added, ''we were free of that.''

He said Manchester United's best-ever start in a premier league made him decide he wanted to return.

Manchester United, which has a marketing partnership with YankeeNets, played four games on this year's tour, its first games in the United States since 1982.

The tour: a 4-0 win over Glasgow Celtic in Seattle, a 3-1 victory over Club America in Los Angeles, a 4-1 rout of Juventus of Turin at East Rutherford, N.J., and a 3-1 victory over Barcelona at Philadelphia. All but the game in Los Angeles sold out.

Defending champion Manchester United is second in the Premier League at 9-2-1, two points behind league-leading Arsenal. Manchester United also is 3-1 in the first round of the European Champions League, second in its group behind VfB Stuttgart, which leads based on head-to-head record.

11. Brownswan

Brownswan New Member

Jun 30, 1999
    Port St. Lucie, FL
    I didn't go last year either, so the ticket issue is still your problem; I kknow it won't be mine.

Better yet, I'll take in a kick-about in Battery Park.

12. riverplate

riverplate Member+

Jan 1, 2003
    Corona, Queens
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    (NMR) Man U returning!!!

Okay, so Manchester United is definately coming to Giants next year, and Soldier Field as well. Third site to be determined. I hope it's Philly. So close it will be easy to go. (I'm still kicking myself for not getting into Man U-Barcelona at Lincoln Field last year. I won't make that mistake again.)

Anyway, Real Madrid is practically a done deal as well. No doubt they'll be showing up at Giants, too.

Start saving those big bucks for these matches. If some has to come out of your MLS budget, so be it. The league is refusing to expand next season and that's a real bummer for me. Send a message and punish them.

Into their ninth year and still the same size as year one. BORE-RING!

13. Footix

Footix Member

Dec 11, 1998
    Left Of The Dial
    ManUtd takes these matches pretty seriously as pre-season training, rather than a halfassed exhibition series. Does anyone really want to see an MLS team get their ass kicked like that? Is there really an MLS team that could give them any sort of real competition if the match were played full bore?

14. Brownswan

Brownswan New Member

Jun 30, 1999
    Port St. Lucie, FL
    Re: (NMR) Man U returning!!!

SEZ U

Nothing boring about that 2nd LA-SJ playoff match -- or any of them as far as I'm concerned.

Perhaps you don't even have an MLS budget. I do.

For all we know the league may include both San Diego and Rochester as early as next season; if no, I can wait.

What I really find troubling is Charlie S's desire to bring over teams for regular season matches. Man U is not up for that, since their home games are sellouts. FIFA might not be up for that, either -- the EPL or Champions League as a trans-Atlantic venture.

15. Footix

Footix Member

Dec 11, 1998
    Left Of The Dial
    Re: Re: (NMR) Man U returning!!!

What exactly is troubling about that?

Staging games that people really want to see in a neutral stadium? Sounds like a great idea to me. It's not like these games will take dollars or interest away from MLS...quite the contrary, it'll raise interest for everybody.

16. Paul Nasta

Paul Nasta Member

Oct 16, 2001
    Long Island
    If these U.S. summer tours by the big Euro clubs become an annual event (and it looks like that's what's happening), I'ld like to see the MLS All-Star Game played beween the best of MLS and one of the big Euro clubs. I think the MLS All-Stars would give Man U a better game than Juventus did last year.

17. Footix

Footix Member

Dec 11, 1998
    Left Of The Dial
    No disrespect, but most all-star teams/games suck, especially "in-season" when most players are trying harder not to get hurt than to make a great play. Not to mention the fact that these teams usually have no more than a couple practices together, making them more of an "assembly of players" than a "team".

18. Deuteriumoxide

May 27, 2003
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't want to see an MLS team get pounded by Manchester United or Real Madrid.

However, I like the idea of regular season matches being played in double headers with the Champions World Tour Matches.

Not only would this showcase MLS talent to the people there to see the Euro teams, but I might showcase some MLS talent to European coaches.

19. Paul Nasta

Paul Nasta Member

Oct 16, 2001
    Long Island
    I absolutely agree with you, which is why I think that if MLS feels compelled to have an All Star Game, it should never go back to the traditional "East v. West" format that produces non-competitive 6-4 games.

For a few reasons, I think the MLS All Stars against Man U or Real Madrid or Bayern Munich would be a better, more entertaining game. First of all, and as you pointed out, there was a level of seriousness to Man U in the games last summer, indicating that the team was treating the games as a part of its pre-season preparations, and not just as a meaningless friendly. More importantly, I think that the MLS All Stars would take the game very seriously. Number one, many MLS All Stars might be trying to impress Man U and any other Euro coaches that might be watching in the hope of perhaps landing a transfer someday. Number two, I think that MLS players would be playing for pride to some extent, defending the honor of MLS and American soccer against those who feel MLS is vastly inferior to European club soccer. I just don't see MLS players being complacent or going half-speed against Man U, even if it is just a friendly.

I'm not saying that the MLS All Stars would be as good as Man U, but I think that game would be a pretty interesting one for us American soccer fans to see. Certainly more interesting than Man U v. Juventus, when Juventus forgot to play defense and was clearly thinking about the SuperCup game it was going to play 3 days later.

20. KareemSoda

KareemSoda Member

Jan 23, 2003
    Not in NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The American keeper joined the Reds in the summer, and has so far kept 10 clean sheets in his short United career.

Tim has impressed with some marvellous performances, and he is determined to keep hold of the Number 1 jersey.

He said: "You want the opportunity to be involved on match day but along with that comes responsibility and some anxiety so you have to be able to keep the position and not throw it away.

"The team has been playing very well, the defence has been fantastic. There have been a few slip-ups but we are human, we make mistakes.

"I think that is what a goalkeeper is there for, to pick up the crumbs; but there haven't been many crumbs left so the boys at the back have been playing very well."

As United announced that they are going to tour the US again next summer, Howard says that United's profile has been raised in the States since their first tour last August.

He said: "Family and friends and people I speak to all tell me that apparently it has been okay and I think that's important.

"Manchester United is global and that was a relatively untapped market, and I think we are making tremendous strides in breaking through and people in America are taking notice, not just of myself but of the club."

Report by Steve Bartram.

21. Father Ted

Father Ted BigSoccer Supporter

Manchester United, Galway United, New York Red Bulls
    Nov 2, 2001
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Actually its the number 14 jersey.

Que?

22. soccerfan

soccerfan BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 13, 1999
    New Jersey
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

How do you know the MLS team would be pounded, there is no proof of that ever happening in past exhibitions, even so i think it will tell us where our league stands. The Chicago Fire is above all MLS teams right now, i think they would give a good game to Man U, something interesting to watch.
    ( unless their team will be taken apart in the offseason).

Again your idea of an MLS regular season game played as a double header ( ex Man U. - Real Madrid ) might sound like a good idea, but you have to admit we have seen some very poor games played this season. Are you sure you want to showcase that to those "Euro fans" ? We know this "Euro fans" think MLS sux in quality and they will go home saying they were right.

23. Jahmakya

Jahmakya New Member

May 28, 2001
    NYC
    If you want to imporve, you will have to play the best in the world regardless of the outcome.

If you have not noticed...Champions World and MLS will not play double headers. did not happen this summer and i doubt it will happen in the future.

24. metros11

metros11 Member

Sep 11, 1999
    Highlands of NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Two Scenarios:

MLS game before the Man U game = People show up in the stadium in time for the Man U game.

MLS game after the Man U game = People leave after the Man U game.

Either way you look at it, double header is not going to do any wonders for Metro.

25. Red Card

Red Card Member+

Mar 3, 1999
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ManU will install a grass field. How long will GS keep the grass field?