NMC: Classless RedSox

Discussion in 'New York Red Bulls' started by Michael Mejido, Oct 11, 2003.

1. Michael Mejido

May 14, 2000
    Boston's Dominican trio of Martinez, Ortiz, and Ramierez, including a 'former' groundskeeper, where absolutely disguisting in today's Yankee/RedSox game... Martinez throwing Zimmer to the ground and then hiding on the bench next to Afflack and J.Lo shows just how much class this man has. Yet another reason to absolish the DH rule.

I was very much for new blood to get into the world series... and the Sox have showed alot of the heart and blue collar spirit that made me a Yankee fan to begin with... but after today's putrid display I think the Sox lost alot of neutral fans.

In the post game interview Torre looked VERY shaken up... nothing like seeing his 70 year old bench coach being tossed to the ground to get one VERY upset.

God forbid the series ever goes to a 7th game... Pedro pitching at Yankee stadium may be his last night on earth. I don't condone any violence towards him, but it is Yankee stadium, and I'm simply being realistic.

2. Metrophenomenal

Metrophenomenal New Member

Jan 10, 2003
    Seoul+NJ
    seeing that fat old guy get tossed to the ground was hilarious.

3. TravisMinor_23

TravisMinor_23 New Member

Oct 16, 2001
    United States
    Hey idiot, I am a neutral, and think the actions were uncalled for, but also think that the Yanks over reacted when Garcia got hit.
    I like Zimmer, but he got what he deserved (not to be hurt, but to be taught not to run out at a player with intent to attack him).

4. topcow

topcow New Member

Nov 23, 2000
    New York
    what sport is this?

5. otterulz

otterulz Member

Arsenal, Atleti
    South Korea
    Jun 20, 2002
    LIC, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh please. First off you had Karim Garcia get hit by Pedro. He wants to be upset, fine. But after he slid waaaay past 2nd to try to break up the play, he started yakin away. This prompted Pedro to gesture towards the Yankee dugout, which I thought was stupid and wrong, considering that he should keep his cool since the Yanks tagged him for a couple of runs. After Ramirez starts yakin away at Clemens, Zimmer charges at Pedro. What Pedro did was self defense. Could he have handled it a little bit better? Possibly. But why the hell is Zimmer charing at him? Is he stupid? I don't fault Pedro one bit for taking Zim down.

6. NJPsycho

NJPsycho New Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Dirty Jerzee
    Don Zimmerman is NY's toughest man

7. Michael Mejido

May 14, 2000
    <i>the Yanks over reacted when Garcia got hit</i>

Hmm. Pedro throws at a players head. Pedro is a known headhunter. What were the Yanks supposed to do, sit on their hands and hope it doesn't happen again?

<i>after he slid waaaay past 2nd to try to break up the play</i>

which was totally within his right to do...

<i>Zimmer charges at Pedro. What Pedro did was self defense</i>

Right. Because 70 year old fat men are dangerous customers. Fact is, Zim shouldn't have been charging in the first place. But watch the replay... was Zim's fist cocked, ready to punch? No. Did Pedro see him coming from a LONG ways away? Yes. Could Pedro simply STEPPED out of the way in order to avoid a fat man charging at him? Certainly. Instead, he threw the fat man to the ground. I emphasize the word 'throw', because again, note the replay... did not redirect any energy, but rather took Zim by the head and threw him to the ground.

I'm sorry, if i'm walking down the street, and i see a 70 year old fat man running at me angrily, I'm going to avoid the situation and not confront it. I'm certainly NOT going to throw that old man to the ground. Its the difference between being classy, and not being able to control your anger and taking it out on an elderly man that had momentarily forgotten he wasn't 23 anymore.

I have no problem having suspentions levied down on Nelson, Garcia, and even Zim. But the men responsible for the stupidity today were Pedro, then Manny. Watching them in the dugout with Ortiz laughing about the incident was particularly troublesome.

As for the groundskeeper... Guess what isn't a good mix? Waving around a towel and cheering the Sox and taunting in front of a bunch of jocks. What was going to happen, Nelson and Garcia asking him to stop because it made them feel bad?

Please give me back players like Mattingly, Ripken, Murphy, etc... who simply played the game as hard as they could, were humble, and had an air of class about them. Jim Leyritz had emotion and played with fire, but never seemed to get involved in stupidity that Pedro and Manny get themselves involved in. It could also be an intelligence issue, especially in Manny's case.

8. Section113

Section113 New Member

Feb 26, 1999
    Boonton
    This isnt a goddamn baseball site. I get barraged with enough baseball coverage in the newspapers and on the news. I dont need it bleedin into here. A pure soccer enviroment.

Take it elsewhere. Please.

9. cliffkram

cliffkram Member

May 4, 2003
    Brum via NYC
    Karim did a hard slide because Roger wasn't going to be able to retaliate, as the warnings were already given. Pedro had every right to be jawing with Karim, that's part of the game. Roger knew he couldn't retaliate so he did the next best thing-- throwing high over the plate to Ramirez--who (honestly now) took that waaaaay out of proportion. No call whatsoever for Pedro to have done that to Zim-- if an old man starts swinging at you, you just grab his wrists, you dont grab him by the neck and chuck him. MLBs rules state that Pedro should have been ejected for fighting-- as well as Zim (to be fair)-- ugly ugly game with a pretty pretty result

10. Burn20

Burn20 New Member

Jul 29, 2000
    NJ
    I second that!

Let's talk about the Burn/Metro game instead.

11. The Magpie

The Magpie Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Cambridge, MA
    There are better things to do than to discuss this particular issue (ALCS) in this forum.

If anything, talk should probably center on the upcoming home & away series between Metro and New England, especially now that only three points separate the two.

The Magpie

12. jamison

jamison Member

Sep 25, 2000
    NYC
    I'll agree that this could be in "Other Sports", but it's really bothering you? It's not even your board!?!?

Or maybe it just bothers you that we aren't paying attention to you?

Anyway....thanks for beating DC. They can't lose enough.

13. Red Card

Red Card Member+

Mar 3, 1999
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't care about baseball. It means NOTHING to me. To me, baseball is mainly a game of skill, not a real sport because there is only a combined total of about 10 minutes of actual action in a 3 hour match.

Now soccer on the other hand, is a real sport. It combines skill AND athleticism!

14. jamison

jamison Member

Sep 25, 2000
    NYC
    Though, anyone who was at tonight's Burn-Metro game might have been challenged to determine that from the 90 minutes of soccer they witnessed.

15. Michael Mejido

May 14, 2000
    people... please. and you wonder why people have coined the term 'soccer snob'. I would consider myself just a *bit* more of a soccer fan than a baseball fan.. and i posted here (with the proper Non Metro Content tag) because YOU folks happen to be the group I discuss sports with online, and because I knew alot of other people were watching the game and were angry about the incident(s).

Trust me, I'll take 1 baseball game like today's between the Yanks and the Sox that actually had drama over a piece of crap match that the Metros and Burned squeezed out.

I see no reason not to post non-metro content every so often... rather livens up the board, and it's fun to see other Metro fan's opinions on other topics.

...as for those complaining that soccer is better than baseball.... again, think about your comments next time someone says soccer is boring. Soccer is not 'better' than baseball; baseball is not 'better' than soccer. If you don't like baseball, or football, or basketball, or opera, or japanese food, or Croatians, or movies about gladiators, it is Your loss, and no one else's. Be open minded, and stop sucking soccer's pud.

...as for the Magpie, instead of worrying about what I post or not post, instead worry about the fact that I'm bringing about 30-35 co-workers from my job at the Madison NJ YMCA this Saturday... and that just this One person will be bringing more souls to the game than the entire Boston/New England area will be able to muster up and bus down to Giants Stadium what they frailly consider 'support'.

16. prk166

prk166 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 8, 2000
    Med City
    Alright, the ball is round. After that, I don't get how this gets posted on BIGSOCCER.com. This isn't NYCCommunityBabble.com.

17. jamison

jamison Member

Sep 25, 2000
    NYC
    Well, moving on.

The game antics aside (Pedro drilling Garcia was classeless but does happen; I don't think Roger was throwing at Manny as the ball was over the plate but high, Manny is over-reacting to think that he's getting thrown at there. Clemens, an acknowledged headhunter, knows how to bean a guy if he wanted to. He wasn't even close), the incident in the Yankee bullpen was a joke.

A red sox employee, a member of the grounds crew, was sitting in the Yankee dugout and taunting Nelson and Weaver, waving a towel and acting like a punk. That guy needs to be fired. He started an incident that ended with a fight between him, Nelson (a bit of a punk himself, but what is that guy even doing there acting like that?), and Garcia. Red Sox security is a joke, and frankly tonight's incidents have only furthered the belief than many (not all) Red Sox fans are bitter punks whose hatred of the Yankees means more to them than their love of either baseball or their team. A truly sad group of people (again, this isn't all of boston).

18. otterulz

otterulz Member

Arsenal, Atleti
    South Korea
    Jun 20, 2002
    LIC, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was just surprised at how upset Garcia was. He got hit and went to first. After he got thrown out at 2nd, he continued yapping. I think he should've handled himself better there. But then again, Pedro has better control then that. Agree with you about the Clemens pitch to Manny. I think Manny was just rattle or something. His at bat prior to the high pitch was just bad. He was swinging away at anything. And after the melee, he swung at a pitch way off the plate. I guess Manny was just looking for an excuse.

As for the bullpen incident, I don't know what the hell is going on there. At first I thought it was just some disgruntled groundscrew being an idiot. Then an ESPN report said that he might've been the victim. Supposedly he was taunting them, but was beaten by a couple Yankee players and that charges can be pressed against them. If this is true, how the hell did the guy get into the bullpen? Just an exceptionally odd game.

19. MetroFever

MetroFever Member+

Jun 3, 2001
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    Good news. ESPN is reporting that doctors have completed a full examination of Zimmer's head.....and found nothing.

The behavior of both baseball teams would have made even Clint blush. In what other sport would you see a coach come out on the field and fight with a player....and neither guy gets ejected!

20. jamison

jamison Member

Sep 25, 2000
    NYC
    There are rumours that they are going to press charges, but the guy was working the game as part of the crew. He is allowed to be there, but he has to realize that he is doing a job. I understand him rooting for the team, but can anyone actually imagine the Yankee groundscrew doing something like that? Taunting players and whipping a towel around? You have to know better than that. No one who wasn't in the bullpen knows what went on, and the Yankee players should have called security and not gone near the guy, but he should not have been acting that way in the first place.

In Boston, such amatuerish behavior is chalked up to "character". In NY, that guy would be fired in 30 seconds. People give Steinbrenner crap for escalating payrolls and being a tyrant, but he runs a tight, first class ship. That kind of bush league nonsense is just not tolerated in Yankee Stadium.

21. os_mutante

os_mutante Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2003
    City of Bad Carls
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    WILL YOU GUYS PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE STOP TALKING ABOUT BASEBALL PLEASE!!!! No? OK...

Look, Pedro basically got put in that 'lose-lose' situation with Don Zimmer. Anyone remember when Nolan Ryan beaned Robin Ventura and Ventura rushed the mound and got thrown in a headlock? What would people have said if he had socked Nolan in the gut and started kicking him in the teeth? "Aww, way to pick on the old man." Instead he gets embarassed by a guy old enough to be his uncle.

Maybe it's not a fair comparison but still, from replays it looks to me like Zimmer was fully intending to make contact with Pedro. Which is ridiculous. I don't know if aliens beamed instructions to the steel plate in his head or what. If Pedro turns his back, he probably gets knocked down or shoved back. If he hides behind a teammate, he looks like he's running from an old man and the Yankees fans have ammunition on him for the rest of his career. I mean, I truly do feel sympathy if Zimmer is hurt but he's got no excuse doing that. And people are saying "Well, he's seventy-two and he got beaned once and he couldn't talk for six weeks." Do you guys really think Pedro has Don Zimmer's biography memorized?!?!? All he sees is Fat Old Man Trying To Bludgeon Me With A Ham Fist.

Regardless, Pedro pitched like crap and the Yankees deserved that game. Pedro might be a swine for the way he headhunts, but the Rocket's no Freddy Fairplay either.

Anyway, good luck in the Cup.

22. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nothing like seeing a thread title that tells you this whole thread is about baseball, yet some people get their panties bunched cause it is in fact, like the title suggests a baseball thread. Grow up.

I was leaning towards the Yankees for this series when it started, but I am all for them now. The red sox were truly clasless today. Mejido hit the nail on the head.

23. Richie

Richie Red Card

May 6, 1999
    Brooklyn, NY, United
    Mike said "... Martinez throwing Zimmer to the ground and then hiding on the bench next to Afflack and J.Lo shows just how much class this man has"

Mike this has to go on the "Big Baseball" board and not the BIG SOCCER board.

My daughter called me about this even though she knows I have no interest in Baseball. Last baseball game I went to in person Mickey Mantle was in the outfield.

She also called me previously to ask me if I wanted to go to the Yankee game against Boston before this game.

I told her I could not because I had something important to do. I had to see my tape of "Gangs of NY" again for the 4th time :) Not nearly enough blood in that movie with all the cutting that these guys did.

Any way Zimmer put himself at risk running right at an opponent. What was he thinking? No, he was not thinking at all that was a stupid move for an old man to do.

The player that threw that old man down is a scumbag. Doesn't take balls to put an old man to the ground. How did this guy manage to stay in the game?

In conclusion that J.Lo has some fine ass.

Richie

24. os_mutante

os_mutante Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2003
    City of Bad Carls
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Two things:

1) Yes.
    2) Moderator, please move this thread to the BIGASS board.

Thank you.

25. NJPsycho

NJPsycho New Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Dirty Jerzee
    Here's the link:
    http://www.ronfez.net/